Help

The VENT

The topper to a tough day

>

MissAgnes

The topper to a tough day
Old 11-19-2019, 05:23 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

An email from a parent telling you their child (who was in class today) has lice.

We have a field trip on Friday. With a 3 hour busride (one way).

I am skeeved.

MissAgnes is offline   Reply With Quote

eliza4one

Old 11-19-2019, 08:42 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

Lice is no fun! Blech!

3 hour bus ride? Whoa! Is it an overnight trip? Our school day is 7 hours. That would leave 1 hour of actual field trip time. Not happening!
eliza4one is offline   Reply With Quote

Aillya

Old 11-20-2019, 07:59 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

Why are they even allowed in with a condition that could spread to other students and staff?

Like... honestly, how hard is it for districts to just say no to parents? Everyone's gonna get itchy scalp and have to buy expensive shampoos or go bald because of this kid, but at least the Parent wasn't upset for a day. Yikes.
Aillya is offline   Reply With Quote

MissAgnes

Lice is not that contagious.
Old 11-20-2019, 10:00 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

Really, it doesn't spread that easily. And it's not a public health issue in that unless it's just a horrible infestation, it doesn't cause any health problems.

The field trip is not overnight. We leave at 9am, get to the place at 12, have 3 hours there, then get back to school between 6 and 8pm (depending on weather and road conditions).

Zia

Old 11-20-2019, 04:07 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

Quote:
We leave at 9am, get to the place at 12, have 3 hours there, then get back to school between 6 and 8pm (depending on weather and road conditions).
Holy cow, how long is your day?? We have to return by 1:30 on all bus field trips for a 3:40 dismissal.

Zia is offline   Reply With Quote

MissAgnes

Regular day.
Old 11-20-2019, 04:14 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

Our school day is 9:00am to 3:30am. Obviously we get back after hours. It's not a big deal. We have parental permission, etc.
This used to be an overnight trip (before my time). Thank god it's not anymore. It's a fun field trip, but a really long day.

middlestsis

Old 11-20-2019, 05:41 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #7

At my school, students are sent home if they have live lice in their hair. I would ask a nurse (if you have one) to see what the protocol is for your school. If they do send them home, I'd call the parent and inform them that the student will be checked in the morning and would be sent home if there are live bugs found on them. The shampoo usually kills the bugs and it won't be spreadable at least for the field trip. Other than that, maybe you could suggest the student wear their hair up if it is long enough? I have this problem in my classroom this year as well as a student with bedbugs (ugh, don't get me started on the district response to that) so I feel you
middlestsis is offline   Reply With Quote

ElizabethJoy

Long days
Old 11-20-2019, 06:37 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #8

My school is in a small rural town, so many of our exciting field trips require long days. Our typical school day is only 9 to 3. Kids come early- like sunrise early- and get back late. When we do those trips its always on a Friday. Obviously we don't do them for kinders and year ones, but the older kids love them. It's the only way they would ever get to go to places like museums, galleries or aquariums- we certainly don't have any here!
ElizabethJoy is offline   Reply With Quote

MissAgnes

Similar here.
Old 11-20-2019, 07:15 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #9

We aren’t rural, but there are HUGE distances between different places. Alaska is much bigger than you can imagine.
As for the lice, mom found them at home. Kid came to school today with his head shaved.

TeacherPK6

Old 11-21-2019, 03:45 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #10

Quote:
As for the lice, mom found them at home. Kid came to school today with his head shaved.

Boys are so much easier that way! I think a girl would object. I hope your field trip goes well, and that no one else has lice!

TeacherPK6 is offline   Reply With Quote

Lilbitkm

Old 11-21-2019, 03:19 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #11

I have had two kids completely infested with lice this year— one of them missed 12 days of school due to it. Mom didn’t even start treating until over a week in.

As far as field trips- our school day is 8:45-3:15 for students. However, we do extended day field trips. The big trip for my grade level we leave school at 8:30 and return at 5:30.
The grade above us also has an “extended day” field trip every year... it’s actually a statewide trip for fourth graders (I went on the same trip when I was in 4th grade).
So, actually not all that uncommon. We just have to use charter buses as the times for school buses are 9-1 only.
Lilbitkm is offline   Reply With Quote