Help

Bulletin Boards & Classroom Themes

I'm thinking of a swamp theme......

>

mommy2two

I'm thinking of a swamp theme......
Old 05-28-2008, 04:44 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

I am a new teacher this year and I'm thinking of a classroom theme. I thought about a "swamp" theme b/c our school mascot is the Gators but I'm having trouble with it. I thought for swamp I'd have frogs, dragonflies, alligators, turtles, cattails, etc. I'm finding a lot of frog things but not swamp things. Should I just go with frogs??? Help!!

mommy2two is offline   Reply With Quote

Weezer

I Love The Idea Of The Swamp
Old 05-29-2008, 05:31 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

I would look into some of the rainforest stuff because it has a lot gators and stuff. You could make trees out of carpet tubes and use stuffed gators around the room. Cattails and decorative grasses would be awesome. Don't just look at typical school decorations.....use you imagination and go with it.. I think it sounds very cool.
Weezer is offline   Reply With Quote

stretchberry

When I read the title of your post...
Old 05-29-2008, 10:56 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

...I thought, "a swamp???!!!" But, after reading your description, I think it sounds like a really cute idea. Maybe you can start with mostly frogs (since there are lots of ready-made frog items) and transition to more diversity when you have time to find and make other items.
stretchberry is offline   Reply With Quote

jesnacc

I live in the SWAMPS
Old 05-29-2008, 11:29 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

of Louisiana that is! I used the swamp/Louisiana theme when I taught 4th grade....it was great! I created a canopy of Cypress Trees with "moss" hanging from the branches for my computer area which I called the "Cyber Swamp"....

For my writing area, I used the Zatarains' [a very tasty brand of Cajun foods] logo and a chef for the various stages of the writing process...

Just some ideas....
jesnacc is offline   Reply With Quote

mommy2two

Do you have any pictures??
Old 05-29-2008, 05:47 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

I'd love to see pictures of your "swamp". Do you have any available??

mommy2two is offline   Reply With Quote

jesnacc

:(
Old 05-31-2008, 02:00 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

Sadly I do not have any pictures. When I switched schools, the pictures I had remained there.....thought I saved some on my computer or a disc, but I didn't. Sorry!

I will check with the teacher who replaced me and I will get back to you. She may have some [she kept the same theme].
jesnacc is offline   Reply With Quote

kdeeaot93

Twists of the swamp theme
Old 06-27-2008, 05:54 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #7

You could even put more of a twist by being Miss Viola Swamp on the first day of school (part of the day). You could read books from the black lagoon or Disney's "The Rescuers."

Not sure what grade you teach but you could do an edible snack with cattails. I used kabob sticks and put bananas on them. Then the kids put peanut butter and attached coco krispies to look like a cattail. They loved them.

You definately need to get mosquito netting as a canopy for your meeting area. I would find clip art that has the animals of a swamp and enlarge on overhead and make your own wall displays. Might take longer but very unique and one of a kind. Love the idea!

Shannon
kdeeaot93 is offline   Reply With Quote
tonischaubhut

tonischaubhut

my swamp classroom
Old 08-02-2010, 11:45 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #8

I have a swamp theme in my classroom. My job chart has owls with the kids names and tree pockets with the jobs ( Oriental trading or smile makers) The title is "Whoooose job is it? " I have a table with a fishing net under it. I put battery operated christmas lights that I turn on for my reading corner. They kids sit under the table. For my behavior chart I made big lilly pads and put velcro on them. Each student has a frog with his/her name on it (just a mini notepad and I glued it to cardstock) and when they get in trouble they have to move their frog or hop to it. My big board- I used clearence navy fabric for the back ground, used brown packing paper crumbled up to make a tree, left over blue netting for water, sticky stars for sky, cotton on poster board for clouds, wrapping paper tube and piece of a card board box to make a sign for my class list. I also hung a fishing net on my wall behind my desk and I use clothes pins to hang notes and stuff from it. Hope this helps : ) Check out crocodile stuff too- many times they say croc and its really alligators. Many bible schools had the theme of crocodile dock last year so if you search that, you can find lots of clip art etc (it does not have any religious stuff on it!)
WolfTeacher

WolfTeacher

HS Teacher
Old 07-23-2011, 09:57 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #9

I am a high school teacher, and I am making our twelth grade English class the "Senior Swamp" since we are from Louisiana. Using an alligator pinata, plastic snakes, cattails, frogs--lots available, palmetta leaves. Blue/green colors. Even the "big" kids have fun with a theme if the teacher does!
amandamc

amandamc

swamp ideas
Old 07-30-2012, 02:18 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #10

I LOVE your swamp ideas. I'd love to hear about more if you have any more pointers. This is the theme I'm using this year. Thanks for any help or ideas you may be willing to share My email address is crawfish1123#yahoo.com
Please email me with any advice!

Cajuns in LA

Cajuns in LA

Old 07-30-2012, 05:48 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #11

I love reading all this! I live in Louisiana, and my them is the "Cajuns". This year I want to expand on that somewhat and add a swamp to my classroom. Oriental Trading has a "pier/dock". There's a Mardi Gras Outlet online (google it) in Baton Rouge that has some great (cheap) items you might like.

Please keep posting your ideas!!