Help

Special Education

12 students in Self-Contained room

>

blue_girl

12 students in Self-Contained room
Old 05-17-2009, 08:42 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

Hello! well this was my first year as a teacher and in the self-contained room (3rd - 5th grade). I really enjoyed being there and thanks god I will be there next year, too. This year I started with 6 students and got 2 more at the middle of the year. It was hard at the beginning because I didn't know how to start but I survived and I feel more comfortable with the students. The thing is that next year I am getting more students and it will be a total of 12 students. It will be tough having a full classroom and hopefully I will get another aide (because we are 2 aides + me in the class). I will have around 5 autistic students and the other students are down syndrome, CP, and so on. I would like for you to give me suggestions in how can I plan my instruction for next year since I'm getting 12 students. I was planning in separating the group with my 2 aides (if I don't get my other aide) and myself and do centers. But I don't know what else can I do. Any suggestions?

blue_girl is offline   Reply With Quote

kosone

Work Systems
Old 05-18-2009, 07:23 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

I have a level II classroom not quite as low as your's it looks. But I use work systems for each of my students. It is so they know what to work on independently so they don't have to ask me what to do next.
I use a colored file folder. Put a black line in the middle, the top will say "To Do" and the bottom "Finished". I put velcro circles (8) on the top and bottom. I use pictures with words to put in the folders for their work. For ex: Morning Minutes, Reading folder, Writing folder, puzzles, poems, making words, books, etc. All the extra pictures I put in a pocket that's right on the front of the file folder. You can chagne then around however you want for each student. You can remake them for the am/pm or have it for whole day. My work systems have been a life saver for my room. Hoep this helps.
kosone is offline   Reply With Quote

BoBaden

Self COntained
Old 06-24-2009, 06:56 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

I teach 4th and 5th grade self contained and have the same variety of disabilities in my classroom as you do. I also have two assistants in the room with me. We do centers and whole group. Our centers focus on IEP goals. We have reading, writing, and math centers. I use the reading milestones program (love it!!!!) and touchpoint math and money. Our centers are twenty minutes long and have a max of two kids per group. The kids rotate through the centers using a color stip. For example, the green center is my break center. There is a green bowl in the center. The students take their green square off their velcro color strip and put it in the green bowl. After that center ends they move to the next color on their strip. I have three teacher directed centers plus a free time center, computer center, AR reading/puzzle center, and attending center. During the attending center the students do file folder activities that can be completed independently. During whole group we work on science and social studies core content. This also helps focus on their attending skills (sitting, raising hand, etc.) This works great for me. Good Luck!
BoBaden is offline   Reply With Quote