Help

Primary Grades (K-2)

need to build up library-levels A,B, and C

>

lovetoteach:)

need to build up library-levels A,B, and C
Old 08-11-2010, 10:20 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

I need to build up my leveled library in my K classroom. My school uses Reader's Workshop and it is very difficult to do it if you don't have enough beginning level books. Does anyone have any suggestions as to somewhere I could purchase a large amount of levels A, B, and C (I don't need guided reading sets, however, I will purchase those if it's my only option). I'm hoping to not spend too much!

TIA

lovetoteach:) is offline   Reply With Quote

FLteachESE

Old 08-12-2010, 12:29 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

I purchased a Reading A to Z subscription for a year which gave me access to printable leveled books to build up my library. it also has many other resources for guided reading groups- well worth the money!
FLteachESE is offline   Reply With Quote

sn02py

Old 08-12-2010, 03:34 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

You can get these sets off Amazon: http://www.brandnewreaders.com/. They are all levelled A-D, I think...there is a chart on the site somewhere.

Here's another option: http://www.wilbooks.com/

www.starfall.com offers their book in print (good quality too). There are two sets you can get from their webstore - the set they have on their "learning to read" website, and "short vowel pals" - they are quite phonics-based, but fun.

These are cheap, but might be a little high for Kindergarten - http://www.townsendpress.com/cart/Ki...og.aspx?cid=11

I've kept an eye on Scholastic for sight word readers, decodables, etc...as well as thrift stores and have fairly quickly built up a decent sized K-level library - just in time for me to move to grade 1/2!

I used a-z reading for the first time this year, after resisting because they are black and white, etc. I actually really liked them for use with my Kindergarteners, because they have AA level books, which are just one or two words/page and the struture is quite predictable up to about level D. These are good for the more pattern-based reading (as opposed to simply decoding).

Hope that helps!
sn02py is offline   Reply With Quote

LakeTeacher

Teacher Direct
Old 08-12-2010, 04:44 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

I have purchased the lower levels from Teacher Direct. They have sets of leveled books where you can get 1 of each title instead of multiples of each title. The books end up being about $2 each. Here's the link:
http://www.teacherdirect.com/cgi-bin...0.00&GEN1=main

I would also recommend an A-Z subscription. Those are great to supplement your other leveled books. They have benchmark books and assessments to go with them.

Also - here are some FREE printable, lower level books. I've used them at the beginning of 1st grade and the kids really like them.
http://www.hubbardscupboard.org/printable_booklets.html

Here are some more FREE printable books for a variety of topics:
http://www.jmeacham.com/emergent.readers.htm

Here are some more FREE printable books:
http://www.littlebooklane.com/
LakeTeacher is offline   Reply With Quote

varkgirl

Old 08-12-2010, 05:13 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

Lakeshore learning has some nice ones with full color photos. Expensive but very high quality.

varkgirl is offline   Reply With Quote

saralara

Old 08-12-2010, 05:28 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

I bought the Lakeshore books with some supply money last year. I was across the board disappointed in them and even gave some to another teacher because I felt like they were just toooooo easy. (I teach first).

Then I watched some of my kids thumbing through them in center time and realized that they loved them for some reason. So I moved them into the writing center and did a mini-lesson on how to use them as vocabulary resources. (They were A, maybe B.) It was a big hit.

The problem with emergent books is that they are a pretty specialized market, like textbooks, so they are either right or wrong in very specific ways. And they are pricey.

I heart the books that someone linked on teacher direct. They are big hits with my kids.

I have built my emergent library by hitting thrift stores and buying books that probably came from other teacher's curriculum sets (probably that they sent home with a kid and were never returned only to end up at Goodwill.) I have it down to a science...there is this thrift store in town that has 50% off sales every Monday holiday. The books tend to be 40 cents, so at 1/2 off they are cheap. And they usually have 10 or more titles at any given time. Sometimes I'll literally hit the motherload and know that some teacher has recently cleaned out her closets.

The other thing I do pretty regularly is search teacher in the garage sales section of craigslist. Especially in late May/early June I can sometimes find retirees (or career changers) who have cleaned out classrooms and are selling their supplies. This is the one time that garage sales tend to be more expensive than thrift stores for me though. Teachers know what their stuff cost... and often price accordingly.

My absolute favorite garage sale experience was a older new K teacher who was leaving the profession. She freely admitted that she didn't know what to do with her class and became addicted to the teacher store, trying to find the product that would solve her problems. She had everything and was anxious to get it out of her house since she never wanted to teach again. I know, it's a bit sad, but my class has really learned a lot about reading from her castoffs...
saralara is offline   Reply With Quote

sonjateacher

early readers
Old 08-12-2010, 08:06 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #7

I just bought a few sets of the Brand New Readers that someone else mentioned. They were very reasonably priced (I got them on Amazon) and they are cute little early readers. I think I paid $12 for each set of 10 books! They are level A-C I believe.
sonjateacher is offline   Reply With Quote

GAkinder9

Old 08-13-2010, 09:26 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #8

Scholastic has sets of "Little Leveled Readers" for A, B and C. Each set has 15 books and 5 copies of each book. They are about $30 for each set, but you can sometimes find them on ebay for a little bit cheaper. They come in cardboard boxes, red, yellow and blue. Scholastic also has their mini-books website that has tons of different levels. (Paid subscription)
GAkinder9 is offline   Reply With Quote

LCTCHR

Leveled readers
Old 08-16-2010, 05:57 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #9

I agree with FLteachESE's message. Using grant monies, I purchased Reading A to Z for a year. It is fantastic! You may want to check out Hubbard's Cupboards. She has a good selection of books that she has written. You will have to print them, but that's your only cost. I think that Carl's Corner may have some books. Check out www.carlscorner.us.com.

Last edited by LCTCHR; 08-16-2010 at 05:59 PM.. Reason: more information
LCTCHR is offline   Reply With Quote