Help

Special Education

2nd - 5th grade resource

>

lblau6680

2nd - 5th grade resource
Old 08-26-2012, 09:45 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

Im teaching multiple grades with varying levels of ability at one given time and im new to sped and my biggest challenge right now is how to use my time with them effectively. I feel the first couple weeks have been a waste of instructional time. How do you use your time effectively for reading? Math? And writing blocks??

How do I build their independence so I can pull small groups??

Please respond ASAP!! I'm going into my third week and feel lost

lblau6680 is offline   Reply With Quote

leslier

Teaching Resource...
Old 08-26-2012, 12:39 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

...can be very challenging. Do you have math and reading programs you are using or are available? Do you have a teacher assistant? Do you have control of your schedule? Do you have computers in your classroom? How many students do you see at a time? Sorry, but it's hard to respond without more info.

I have learned to rotate groups according to their levels. I could have 3 tables or centers with 3 different lessons going on at one time. One group could be on the computers. The better I am with my planning, the more productive they are.
leslier is offline   Reply With Quote

GreyhoundGirl

Old 08-26-2012, 03:27 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

We have a reading program but not math. I LOVE, LOVE, LOVE education dot com. I just spent about 2 hours on there yesterday. It has activities and worksheets for all grade levels. I have saved things to use for later and printed things.

I would also recommend shelling out the $20 for superteacherworksheets...there' s a wealth of stuff on there and you will more than get your money's worth.

Here are some other sites that might help:
-abcteach dot com
-worksheetworks dot com

Also, what I saw a resource teacher do (and I consider her an expert) was she staggered the groups in. She had a group come in, taught and then scheduled the next group to come in about 15-20 minutes later. At that time the first group was working independently so she could do her mini-lesson with the second group. While the second group was working independently the first group was ready to go over their work. I'm not sure if this makes sense but if you can avoid having all the kids come in at one time that will help avoid wasting instructional time.

I only schedule one group at a time.
GreyhoundGirl is online now   Reply With Quote

lblau6680

More information
Old 08-26-2012, 03:50 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

Unfortunately, I cannot schedule one group at a time. I wish but that is impossible. I would love to do some sort of rotation but how do I get my kids to become independent first?
We don't have a math or reading program. My school uses the Daily 5 for reading and I am using my own math. I have checked out both those websites already, so thank you!

In the morning, I have my reading block from 9-10:30am. I have about 13 kids in the room. 2nd-4th graders. I want to group them according to ability but where do I begin to even start the groups?

For math in the afternoon, the groups do come in more sporatically, but again, they are all at different levels. I feel like Ive been wasting a lot of instructional time changing my routine each day. I want to get it together finally.

Miller

Old 08-26-2012, 05:39 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

as much of a pain as this would be...I'd look at the common core for all the grade levels and plan one lesson to teach all of them, then you could differentiate for the different grades. Do you have an assistant? You could give the assistant a group.

Miller is offline   Reply With Quote

lblau6680

Grouping
Old 08-26-2012, 06:09 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

I have looked at the IEP's and it seems as though I have 4 different groups for math. What I plan on doing for math is doing a small mini-lesson whole group with a number of the day (pinterest) and then breaking them into groups. I'll pull a small group to focus on a lesson, while the other groups doing math stations/centers. I need to find more easy independent games to introduce. ANyone have any??

Now I'm trying to figure out my morning with reading/writing.

RunningGal

Reading/Writing in a Resource Center
Old 08-27-2012, 04:58 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #7

I am also in a Resource Center with multiple grades at the same time. I have an aide when I have as many students as you do.
For writing I have the students all writing in a daily journal. It is usually a free write - what they had for dinner last night, what they did after school, etc. The expectations are different depending on their ability - lowest level draws a picture and writes about it (starting with 1 sentence and adding more as the year goes on); goal is a well written 5 sentence paragraph with a topic sentence, 3 detail sentences, and a closing. I usually do whole group mini-lessons to go over basics and also give each student individual goals based on what I see in their journal. I take breaks from journal writing periodically to teach letter writing, narratives, etc. I do whole group but differentiate expectations.
For reading I start out with a Dolch assessment and a running record and base my groups on that data. I do whole group mini lessons daily for comprehension strategies and practice the day's strategy in guided reading group. The students that are not with me in group are doing independent or partner reading, journal writing, an activity related to their reading, or word work. Once everyone has the basic letter sounds down I also do a weekly whole group mini lesson on phonics/decoding and differentiate.

I just noticed you also asked for easy math games. We play math addition/subtraction/multiplication war with playing cards. The ace is used as a '1' and we take all face cards out. Instead of turning over 1 card at a time, each person turns over 2 cards. The students add, subtract, or multiply (depending on which game they are playing) and the person with the greater sum, difference, or product wins that round.

I hope this helps.
RunningGal is offline   Reply With Quote