10 1/2 hours and all I have to show for it... - ProTeacher Community

Home Join Now Search My Favorites
Help

Special Education

10 1/2 hours and all I have to show for it...

>

spedder1

10 1/2 hours and all I have to show for it...
Old 09-16-2014, 02:40 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

...is complete and utter exhaustion. I got to work a little before 6:00 this morning. Things went well. I got everything ready to go. At about 7:15 I realized that my strongest, most energetic, go-getter para hadn't come in for our usual morning chit-chat. I've known her for several years. Her son was a student of mine 3 years ago. I had him for 2 years before I moved down grade levels. He's an amazing young man. Anyway, I went and checked the "board" and she was absent. I was lucky to get a sub from within the building. I know the para well and was lucky to have her in my room for a year several years ago. My other classroom para doesn't take initiative for anything. During morning meeting he was chatting with the sub para. I told all 3 paras, "Time for calendar." The sub and my 1:1 para got their materials. He was sitting there, still chatting. I shoved the file folder calendar activity toward him and had to address him individually. We started calendar and the PT, PT assistant, and the OT all came in to work with kids. One stayed and worked with the student at the table. That was nice. The entire day was full of interruptions. One student banged his head on the table every chance he got, another did his self-stim screech, and another babbled nonstop. I finally stopped everything and put a Tumblebooks story on the Smartboard. That sort of helped. I think the uproar with therapists coming and going really upset the kids' routines. If it is an issue next week, I'm going to talk with them to see if they could do some kids in the morning and others in the afternoon. I know it will play havoc with their schedules, but mine is important, too. After school I spent 2 hours putting together ULS materials so they can be laminated. Next week I will take them to another school for lamination, then will cut everything out. I am going to eat dinner, do my evening exercises and go to bed.
Kathy

spedder1 is offline   Reply With Quote

pdxteacher

Old 09-16-2014, 05:22 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

I hear you - I had a day full of interruptions too. Isn't it frustrating?! Two interruptions from parents (which shouldn't have been put through to my room), a principal call, and a fire drill! And on top of that, I have three new students who are doing some serious boundary-testing.

I have a 1:1 para who is constantly interrupting me to ask me something pretty dumb, and another para who won't take initiative. This year I'm making it my personal goal to be more direct with paras - not mean, just straightforward with what I need. I've had the exact same problem you described at calendar time, so yesterday I just said, "Mr. X, please sit by Student Y." I've just decided that the polite redirecting I've been trying to do is too subtle for some people.

Is it Friday yet? Hang in there.
pdxteacher is online now   Reply With Quote

Miller

Old 09-16-2014, 06:17 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

your class sounds like mine...
Miller is offline   Reply With Quote