BusyBoard

New Team Question

>

SassyTeach

New Team Question
Old 07-09-2019, 01:46 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

Hey there!
I'm meeting with my new team on Thursday. Of the 6 teachers, one has been there a year, two teachers have been there 5-6 years, and the other three of us are brand new to the school.

Do you guys have any ideas on how we can start the meeting off right? We want to have a kick butt team, but how do you do that when you don't know each other? Any ideas on what we can do?

Thank you!

SassyTeach is offline   Reply With Quote

Keltikmom

New team
Old 07-09-2019, 02:24 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

I would sit back and see how the veterans handle things. If you can go along with them, do so. If you have a major disagreement, be very politic in expressing your views. Donít go with both guns blazing....keep one in the holster.
Keltikmom is offline   Reply With Quote

Kinderkr4zy

Old 07-09-2019, 02:31 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

Quote:
Do you guys have any ideas on how we can start the meeting off right?
Start with wine, that makes everything a little rosť-ier
Kinderkr4zy is offline   Reply With Quote

Teacherbee_4

New or veteran?
Old 07-09-2019, 02:44 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

Are you one of the newbies or veterans? If you are a newbie, definitely sit back and let them take the lead. I'm not saying don't participate, but please don't take charge.

I think in order to have a kick butt team, each teacher needs to feel free to be themselves, both as a person and a teacher.

Are the ones brand new to the school brand new to teaching or the grade level? Do you think your team would be up for each person sharing an idea (lesson idea, management idea, etc.) or a resource (blog, TPT seller, professional book), etc. with the group? The rest could decide to take the idea or leave it. Just a thought! Another idea would be to have each person share one thing they would like to do this year as a whole grade level. It could be a project, a field trip, a community building thing, a parent gift, etc.
Teacherbee_4 is offline   Reply With Quote

WGReading

Old 07-09-2019, 06:04 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

This is tough because as a new team member, I agree with others about letting the teachers who have been there take the lead. But my preference, if it is an option, would be to meet up for the first time in a non-school place like a coffee shop or for lunch. I think starting off getting to know each other a little bit and talking more informally is a good way to begin, and that's a little harder if you are at your building.

I think having a discussion where everyone shares what they think their strengths are and maybe an area where they expect they might need/want help or is something they want to improve on, would be good. Because then everyone would be able to see the strength in each other and it puts it out there right away that you are going to rely on each other for help as well.

WGReading is offline   Reply With Quote

SassyTeach

Yeah...
Old 07-09-2019, 07:21 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

As a new team member, I'm going to sit there and look cute () and answer questions when I need to!

The teacher who is leading the meeting asked me what I think, so I told her I'd ask some friends what they thought. I do NOT plan on leading anything, though!

Thanks for your help!!

I especially liked this idea:
Quote:
Start with wine, that makes everything a little rosť-ier
SassyTeach is offline   Reply With Quote

cruxian

Old 07-09-2019, 07:41 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #7

I love the wine comment and you got good advice! I have to say I love WGReading's advice. We had a team of three last year and colleague and I were at the school for like 12 years. First time we got together was at a nonschool thing, just to get to know each other.
cruxian is offline   Reply With Quote