Help

BusyBoard

Kahn Academy

>

momteach310

Kahn Academy
Old 07-10-2019, 03:43 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

Long story - but we have a parent who wants her child to move up a grade. She said he will complete the grade level curriculum in the Kahn Academy program over the summer for the grade he is skipping. (Private school - too many details to explain). I was asked to give my input on this program being used as the catalyst to move up in math. Does anyone have any opinions on this program? I looked through some of it. It seems like it would take a lot longer than the summer to complete a grade level. If he is doing this on his own at home, how do we evaluate that he is the one actually doing it? I guess we could give him some type of test that would test an entire year's curriculum? Any thoughts on this program? Thanks

momteach310 is online now   Reply With Quote

dee

My opinion
Old 07-10-2019, 04:36 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

Kahn is good.
There's a difference between "doing" math vs deep understanding.

I would definitely give some sort of test with problems of the sort found on sample PARCC or Teks tests. Engage NY has good problems, too.
dee is offline   Reply With Quote

Song of Joy

Old 07-10-2019, 08:07 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

We usually discourage skipping grades because of what the student will experience down the road in high school. Do they really want a 16 year old high school senior who goes off to college at 17?

I agree about the need for deep understanding in math and flexible ways of math thinking.
Song of Joy is offline   Reply With Quote

twinmom95

Old 07-10-2019, 08:53 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

Yeah, the only person I ever knew to skip a grade was my cousin. I think she skipped second or third grade. Her parents were both educators at the elementary level. Flash Forward to now she is 59, she dropped out of college fairly early on, and has gone from one receptionist type job to another her whole life. She married very young, divorced within 2 years, then remarried later, had 2 girls, and is still married.

She is a nice enough person but I don't think she ever really reached her full potential and certainly didn't earn very much, which cam make things harder. Neither daughter ended up going to or finishing college either. Would things have been different if she didn't skip that grade?? Who knows!?
twinmom95 is offline   Reply With Quote

Teacher_twins

HS Algebra
Old 07-10-2019, 12:20 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

I LOVE Khan Academy. I tell my students to use it all the time for extra practice. But that is all it should be used for, extra practice and review. I cannot imagine using Khan Academy as a substitute for real classroom instruction.

Teacher_twins is offline   Reply With Quote

campy

My DD
Old 07-10-2019, 06:07 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

skipped 4th grade went to an ivy league college and got her masters in civil engineering from MIT with a fellowship. Everyone is different it was truly what she needed to do. She was a cheerleader in highschool and has traveled the world(46 countries) She is now married and has a very good job.
campy is offline   Reply With Quote