Help

BusyBoard

Negative Colleague

>

Stacymakingit

Negative Colleague
Old 07-11-2019, 07:59 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

Hello! I moved to a new city two years ago when I had my son. I have always had another teacher(s) on my team that I have connected with and I felt supported. My new neighbor teacher (for the past two years) is very negative and non collaborative. Last year was extremely hard for me because I had a tough group and some personal stuff going on. I have been feeling so isolated in teaching, I have been so worried about going back. I need teacher friends or this job is too stressful! I have truly tried to connect with my neighbor teacher but she always ends up saying something completely rude and condescending. This is my 3rd school and Iíve never had this problem. This is a smaller school with only 2 people on each team... I applied to a couple other teaching jobs but wasnít too adamant as the end of the school year was already stressful enough. What do I do?

Thanks all!

Stacymakingit is offline   Reply With Quote

travelingfar

What to Do
Old 07-12-2019, 03:19 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

This teacher has been rude to you, so you may want to stop trying to connect with her. She will not be much of a support.

Making friends in a new school sometimes takes a few years. I realize it isn't easy, but I hope this upcoming school year is better.
travelingfar is online now   Reply With Quote

GreyhoundGirl

Old 07-12-2019, 04:28 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

I agree, your grade level partner is going to be nothing more than a colleague. A teacher friend doesnít necessarily have to be in the same grade level. Try connecting with other teachers in the building. Maybe the grade levels above and below or specials teachers.
GreyhoundGirl is offline   Reply With Quote

soleil00

Old 07-13-2019, 02:53 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

I dealt with this for the past two years with a male neighbor teacher. I finally started to isolate him by not planning with him or truly working with him. I was tired of the negativity and the constant complaining about our other teammates (8 total, broken into pairs.) It was like his goal was to get me on his 'team' and not work with the other teams which we were supposed to be doing. I wasn't rude about it, I wasn't negative back to him, I just kind of started doing my own thing. If he asked, I'd tell him and that's it. After a while, he figured out what I was doing and we had a conversation about his attitude. It really didn't change anything, but I didn't feel the weight of the negativity anymore because it just wasn't my problem.
soleil00 is offline   Reply With Quote