Help

BusyBoard

Rest time

>

KT_203

Rest time
Old 07-14-2019, 06:18 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

I teach prek in a full day program but I have two groups ( MWF and TTH)

How do people organize sleep stuff. We have mats that stay stored on a cart. But the kids bring blankets etc. I worry about germs and lice so last year I had the kids bring blankets back and forth in backpacks. At rest time it was very confusing trying to put out mats ( get them off carts in hallway, lay them out etc. ) then have the kids get their blankets out of backpacks ( at the beginning of the year we did this for them and set it up). Then we had to do the same in reverse but half the time the blankets ended up on the floor instead of in backpacks. Anyone have suggestions for storage or routines that make this easier????

KT_203 is offline   Reply With Quote

I teach K!

My system
Old 07-15-2019, 04:34 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

We use the large (2 gallon) ziplock bags. Each child has a bag with their name on it. Their blanket and any other sleep stuff goes inside. Then I store the bags in a big basket (laundry basket works well) on the top of our cots. At rest time, kids find their bag and take it to their cot. The bag goes under their cot until rest time is over and they clean up. The blankets for home on Fridays so families can wash

Hope this helps!
I teach K! is offline   Reply With Quote

Kinderkr4zy

Old 07-15-2019, 12:54 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

I have done this a few ways and procedure varied a little but otherwise stayed the same

A few questions also-do they sleep in their own room or do several classes come together to sleep in one or 2 rooms.

If they sleep in their own classrooms then its pretty simple-their stuff goes in a ziplock big bag-they need to put the bag in their cubby or a in an identified spot and they get a book from a book bin that it out and return to their cot to read and wait to have a teacher dismiss them and verify that they put their stuff away.

With very unruly/messy groups I make it job for 1 or two kids who are more responsible good listening kids to be the "nap monitor". They walk around and help others and make sure that stuff gets cleaned up and put away correctly.

If they all sleep together in a 1 or 2 big rooms-

The ideal way: I have enough cots that MWF kids dont share with TH kids and we had little fitted sheets that got stripped and washed weekly. Each cot was labeled with the child name on a sticky label on the leg of the cot. The cots got stacked on a rolling cart and the way they stacked there was a good sized gap between them so we left the sheets on since they didnt touch. Blankets went in jumbo ziplock bags like this and the bags went under cots during rest time and the kids took them out after nap and put their blanket pillow and stuffed animal in the bag then they sat on their cot and waited for to be dismissed (a teacher verified that they had clean up their area and had their stuff in their bag-we did this by rows of 6). As they were dismissed they put their bag into a laundry basket -this kept the bags in a pretty close order to how they went back out again but since both beds and nags were labeled it was simple enough.

On FRidays the kids took their sheet off and put them in a big the laundry basket Fridays and we washed the sheets. and spray the cots with either lysol or bleach/water in a spray bottle.

If the kids share beds it gets a little harder-They strip their sheet daily and we lysol/bleack them daily and each day they got a fresh sheet. Cots still got labeled (2 labels for 2 groups of kids) because it helped the kids to have a specific assigned spot to sleep in-when we came in the nap room they knew where they were going. But kids brought their bags in with them and the sheets were already ready when they came in so they only needed to take out their blanket and pillow. Then at wake up it was the same procedure of pack up, get a book, wait to be dismissed, but with one main different- the kids slept arranged together with their class mates so they would be dismissed by class and then they would walk to their classroom with a teacher and put their nap bag in their cubby, where it would stay until they got it out to come back to the nap room the next time

I worked at another school that charged a nap kit fee and they gave everyone nap kids like These so they didnt have to worry about loose blankets and stuff but they are big and cumbersome and dont fit in they cubbies well. They brought them home every night and back the next day. They were taught from the first day to roll them up themselves and we only had to help a few kids to roll up their nap kit.
Kinderkr4zy is offline   Reply With Quote