Help

BusyBoard

Sca

>

UVAgrl928

Sca
Old 07-17-2019, 08:10 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

I will be running the SCA for my new school (was just voluntold). It’s a brand new school, and I’ve never seen an SCA in action. We will also be a Leader in Me school, and our principal would like us to try to incorporate this.

Anyone got any experience with SCA or Leader in Me? Thanks!

UVAgrl928 is offline   Reply With Quote

ConnieWI

Question....
Old 07-17-2019, 01:27 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

What is SCA?
ConnieWI is offline   Reply With Quote

freckleface

I don't know what SCA is
Old 07-17-2019, 03:00 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

but I love your word, VOLUNTOLD!!
freckleface is offline   Reply With Quote

UVAgrl928

Old 07-17-2019, 03:11 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

Oh, sorry! Student Council- so basically a student leadership team.

ConnieWI

Student Council
Old 07-18-2019, 03:32 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

The student council in my school meets monthly after school. That means students must have parents who are willing to pick them up at 4:45 p.m. The advisors make the agenda for each meeting with input from the students who attend the previous meeting.

Third and fourth graders who wish to run for student council fill out applications...we are a 4K to fourth grade building. Only third and fourth graders serve on student council. Then individual classrooms have elections. Each third and fourth grade classroom gets one member. The person who gets the most votes is the member during the first half of the year, and the person who gets the second most votes is the member for the second half of the year.

Those students who are elected to student council elect a president, vice president, and secretary to take notes during the meetings.

Each member is assigned a classroom in the building, and after a meeting, that member sets up a time with the classroom teacher to come and report about the meeting to that classroom.

The student council decides on the dates of special days (hat day, pajama day, twin day, etc.), which happen about once per month. They also decide on community activities like collecting toys at Christmas, collecting food for the local food pantry, collecting new blankets for a local shelter, etc. They create all the publicity posters that they hang around the building, writing emails sent to parents to let them know about the events, contacting the local newspaper if there is something really special, and taking pictures of the event that are used in our buildings weekly on-line parent newspaper.

Last edited by ConnieWI; 07-18-2019 at 03:28 PM..
ConnieWI is offline   Reply With Quote

Loveslabs

Sca
Old 07-18-2019, 03:55 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

I was the student council advisor when I first started. I was also voluntold. After refusing to do it anymore I found out that other teachers in other buildings had been paid a stipend for doing the same thing! Grrrrrrr!

Anyway, the students on student council would sell big pickles every Friday as a fundraiser. We had about 450 students. Each week we would see about 300 pickles. I hate pickles and was honestly shocked at how many kids loved them.

Smencils are also a great way to fund raise.
Loveslabs is offline   Reply With Quote

UVAgrl928

Old 07-18-2019, 05:31 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #7

Connie- you are my people- thank you!!!

We had reached out to a pair that runs their SCA. They increased to meeting every week with the kids, teachers involved then met in addition to that every week, they’re planning a curriculum for SCA meetings... we very quickly got overwhelmed. Being a new school, all our programs are being started from scratch, so we don’t want to go overboard and have it fall apart later in the year. This was EXACTLY the info I wanted.

The transportation is something I’m worried about. We will be a T1 school, but we are pulling from a “nicer 🙄” area (ie. you know, the parents that fought for their kids to not be at “that kind of school”). I’m hoping we can get a variety of kiddos involved- I know transportation was always an issue at another T1 school I was at.

UVAgrl928

Old 07-18-2019, 05:32 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #8

Pickles?! 😂😂😂

Shelby3

fundraising
Old 07-18-2019, 12:46 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #9

Pickles were HUGE with the kids - ridiculously huge. Smencils were big as well as Go-gurt. They did OK with the holiday grams, sending notes and a lollipop to friends. If you do that be sure and have a booth at conference time and at PTSO meetings so the parents can send them, too.
Shelby3 is offline   Reply With Quote