Help

BusyBoard

Summer projects for class

>

Kinderkr4zy

Summer projects for class
Old 07-17-2019, 04:29 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

Hello all! While I totally respect the need to leave work at work and enjoy the summer I usually have projects that I want to get done in a leisurely way at home during the summer so that I have less to do doing the year.

I had a rough summer school so for the bulk of my summer I did nothing-no way, no how. It was all I could do to keep my spirits up.

Well, post summer school I only have less than 2 weeks to do the summer left and I am struggling with completing my project and getting to enjoy my time off.

This years summer project is to level all of my books in my classroom library (only half are labeled with the lexile) and put them into a online class library database that should help kids pick out books using IPICK because they can look up books based on topics of interest, find preferred authors, and make sure that the books they want are within their independent read level range. It also lets them check out books so I know where my books are going and I can hold students accountable for loosing or destroying my books. I also want to be able to reference what books they have been reading when we meet for reading conferences.

This is a monster of a job it turns out!. Its taking forever (I think I have 3 hours cumulative at this point and I am only 1/3 or 1/4 of the way done). I may not finish-in that case I am telling myself that its no big deal if I only do half my books and do the other half as the year goes. Then I can switch out the books on the shelf and keep it fresh .

DO you have summer projects? What are you up to this summer?

Kinderkr4zy is offline   Reply With Quote

UVAgrl928

Old 07-17-2019, 05:21 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

I hate to tell you this, but I spend countless hours of my summer one year doing this... and it only lasted a few weeks I do like having the levels written on the book for my own use in case they need help selecting a book.

Normally my summer projects are home related, but I did have a couple for school this year. And I'm already getting stuff added to them as I'm getting voluntold to stuff (it's a brand new school).

1) One project was going through all the junk I brought home and get it somewhat organized so I could actually stand seeing it. This got done the first day of summer, so I did good there!

2) I just wrapped up one of my others that was pretty simple (I just posted it). I wanted to create a document with QR codes for kids to use during Listening Centers, and they tie to the Leader in Me.

3) The project I have been dragging my feet on is creating my year long Reading unit. VA isn't Common Core, so there aren't tons of resources out there that align closely to our testing. I want to create a document that myself and my teammates can use throughout the year to prepare for testing, and then get it ready to post on TPT.
UVAgrl928 is offline   Reply With Quote

kahluablast

Old 07-17-2019, 05:30 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

I long ago gave up the classroom library fight. I try to label books as they get put in the library, but if I don't have time or can't find a level, I don't worry about it. By this time (3rd) my kids have strategies for finding books at their level and it just isn't worth the time and energy I put into it. I also don't stress about loss (if I don't know it is gone, what is the big deal?) I have tons of books though. Tons.

I tried putting together a map for this coming year. New job, new position for the school. I have some examples from other districts, but it really was overwhelming. There are so many things that pertain to just my school that the examples are just a guideline, anyway. So, I gave that up after days of working on it. I am hoping that I can keep good notes, and maybe add to it as a historical document for the next year's use.
kahluablast is online now   Reply With Quote

Kinderkr4zy

Old 07-17-2019, 05:52 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

Quote:
I hate to tell you this, but I spend countless hours of my summer one year doing this... and it only lasted a few weeks
I have done it before too-thats why half my books are labeled (didnt do an online database though). That same thing happened. I just cant give up the hope that one day it will work out the way I want it to

I added a class job-librarian- last year. The librarian gets to skip silent reading 1 day a week and shelves the "returned" books. This helped them stay organized-until I got inconsistent and I started letting kids "real quick" pick out a different book because they didnt like any of their books. This year I am gonna be hard core about it-NO WAY JOSE. The shelves are staying nice and organized....hopefully.

Quote:
By this time (3rd) my kids have strategies for finding books at their level and it just isn't worth the time and energy I put into it. I also don't stress about loss
Last year I had several kids who struggled (always picking stuff that is way too easy) to find a good fit book and then they argued when they didnt get awards for meeting there reading goal at the end of the month and trimester (I only mark books that you read that are at you reading level ) Then parents argued saying that the kids dont know how to find book at their independent reading level. I am hoping that this prevents arguments or an inability to find a book at their reading level (of course I let kids read below level books but not ALL their books should be below their reading level).

For lost books I think I didnt notice or mind until some of my new and expensive books walked off ( brand new Diary of a Wimpy Kid and Harry Potter-and only about 1/6 of my class can read these books). Now I feel like I dont want my nice stuff disappearing-if you want to steal the 25 cent garage sale special fine-but not the expensive ones!

Last edited by Kinderkr4zy; 07-17-2019 at 07:28 PM..

Ima Teacher

Old 07-17-2019, 07:24 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

I changed my color scheme around this year because so much of my old stuff was falling apart. (Iíd used it for four years.) I did a lot of redoing files and printing/laminating. Most of that stuff I do from the comfort of the recliner with my laptop. I work when I want. I also go in and out of my room when I want. Iím only 4 miles away.

Ima Teacher is offline   Reply With Quote

teacherwriter

Old 07-18-2019, 01:24 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

Well, I'm thinking about summer projects! Does that count? I was new to my job last year, and the previous teacher left nothing usable. So I told myself that I would organize a lot of stuff this summer to make next year easier. Before I left the classroom, I spent a couple of extra days working to make sure I threw out everything useless; it had a LOT of junk left in it from previous occupants. My goal this summer is to put together binders of broad unit plans so I'm not writing things, oh, a couple of hours before the students show up. I have a bunch of ideas and the materials I wrote from last year, but I haven't actually worked on the writing/printing yet. I did make a binder of Google resources and a binder of standards I could apply to my classes. (I teach electives, so I have no specific standards.)

I've tried that classroom library thing before. It's a tough job. My condolences.
teacherwriter is offline   Reply With Quote

sevenplus

Old 07-18-2019, 03:24 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #7

Not doing much at all this summer. Got some fabric to re-cover my crate seats and materials for some bucket seats (that someone else is making for me).

Will probably print/ laminate some math materials.

Need to write a Donors Choose project since I have some expiring funds.
sevenplus is offline   Reply With Quote

eliza4one

Old 07-18-2019, 05:32 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #8

I typically will have 1 project each summer.

Nothing new this year, though.

*Repainted benches I made a few years ago.
*Want to make 1 more crate seat (last year's project).
*Covered some items in contact paper.

Other than that, nothing this summer, which is strange for me!
eliza4one is offline   Reply With Quote

prechrswife

Old 07-18-2019, 07:05 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #9

Iím redoing my classroom decor. I decided I am tired of having a theme. (iíve used the same one or a similar one for 6 years.) I am going with a color scheme/style instead.
prechrswife is offline   Reply With Quote

readandweep

Classroom projects
Old 07-18-2019, 07:16 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #10

I don't have a big project planned this summer as I took a lot of classes for credit on our salary scale.

I am going to go pick up a free carpet remnant at a teacher event a local flooring store does. I have a vacuum I don't need so voila, free housekeeping task.

I printed and laminated a bunch of task cards at the end of last school year. Once I get back in my classroom before school starts I will try and organize them and rough out a schedule to use them in a center.

Depending on how our school year starts, I may let one of my aides do it. She lives for organization and making tasks. She is fast too.

readandweep is offline   Reply With Quote

UVAgrl928

Old 07-18-2019, 07:31 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #11

Ok Kinderkr4zy-

After teasing you about being crazy for your classroom library, I need to know what you're using! Haha

My P just sent me an email asking for help creating an easy, tech-based way to checkout books from the bookroom... I'm hoping that if your kiddos can use this system, some adults can
UVAgrl928 is offline   Reply With Quote

anna

Old 07-18-2019, 08:54 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #12

No projects for school anymore for me however I set up a kindergarten Facebook group and the current topic there is storage for and activities with mini erasers Some cute ideas there and it reminds me of past PT excitement over summer classroom projects. Have fun!
No matter the grade, I never hassled leveling my classroom library as I just didn't find it necessary. I had green buckets of books for non fiction and yellow buckets of books for fiction.
anna is online now   Reply With Quote

Kinderkr4zy

Old 07-18-2019, 07:54 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #13

Quote:
Ok Kinderkr4zy-

After teasing you about being crazy for your classroom library, I need to know what you're using! Haha

My P just sent me an email asking for help creating an easy, tech-based way to checkout books from the bookroom... I'm hoping that if your kiddos can use this system, some adults can
I am using book source-I have only tried it as teacher so far-I havent had kids log in and use it yet but it seems pretty straight forward. I made myself a fake student account and I selected my name (names can be imported from an excel file which is what I plan to do when my list is finalized), click check out or return, for check out I typed in the first word or two of the title and boom (I typed web for Charlotte's Web) -up pops the book, click on it and done. The when you want to return you select you name from the home screen, click on return, then it gives you a list of what books you have checked out, you click on it-it gives the option to write a book review or just submit-then you are done...I am highly considering making my kids write at least 1 single paragraph review per month starting the second or third month of school during daily 5

Book Source