BusyBoard

Class Lists

>

fuv

fuv

Class Lists
Old 07-09-2019, 08:43 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

Before the school year ends, the previous grade makes the class lists for the following grade. During the summer, admin reviews the lists and assigns the class to a teacher. The lists recently came out for next year and once again, I don’t have any faculty, staff, or friends of P’s kids in my class. I know the switching out of students is purposeful. In the past, I’ve had 3 students complain that I yell (kids use yell and scold synonymously here). I’ve taught grades 3 and 4 here. I build relationships and I feel many students are fine. I score well on the Tripod Student Perception Surveys so having this happen to me all the time makes me feel junk. Other teachers have their issues too but somehow I feel singled out for this when its class assignment time. I’d also like to mention that my class consistently scores well on state tests, whereas some of the other teachers on my team who get those kids, do not. Some people may say that it’s good not to have the aforementioned kids as it can be stressful teaching a colleague’s child, but I feel differently. I feel the admin has no confidence in me and is ‘protecting’ those kids due to the previous concerns of a few. How would you feel?

eliza4one

Old 07-09-2019, 03:50 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

I suppose if it happened year after year it would bother me but I’d let it go!

If you feel it’s because of how kids perceive you (as a scolder), then work on that area and improve.

That’s really all you can do.

Have you talked to your principal about this?
eliza4one is offline   Reply With Quote

Teacherbee_4

A little off topic...
Old 07-09-2019, 04:40 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

A little off-topic and I don't mean to hijack your thread, but I hate how to so many people what they consider yelling is not yelling. Seriously, to so many people, yelling means "corrected", "being told what I don't want to hear", etc. It's just ridiculous. It drives me crazy.

Example:

One time, I saw a younger student running in the hall. I said in my normal voice, "Walking feet please." The student had a sibling in my class and he was like, "Yah! You yelled at my sister! I can't wait to go home and tell my mom you yelled at her!" Like WTF...no I didn't yell, I'll show you yelling.

This happens all the time with kids. Please don't try to change the "yelling" if you aren't yelling. You can't let misbehavior slide. You just can't, no matter how small. Keep doing what you are doing.

I know it's hard when you don't get certain students and you wonder if it's because they don't want you for whatever reason. It's happened to me a lot, too. I really tend to worry about it and feel bad about it, too. However, in the long run, you just have to trust that everything happens for a reason and everything will work out for the best. Then, focus on the bright side.
Teacherbee_4 is offline   Reply With Quote

Teacher_twins

Old 07-09-2019, 05:32 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

I would consider this a blessing in disguise because then you can fly under the radar, of sorts. You don't have to worry about a faculty member storming in whenever they feel because they don't like something you are doing. Or, have P automatically side with their buddies should a conflict arise. Or have students who think they are above the rules because their parents are teachers or friends with the P.
Teacher_twins is offline   Reply With Quote

klarabelle

Old 07-09-2019, 05:34 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

Personally, I would be happy not having students related to the school.

klarabelle is offline   Reply With Quote

UVAgrl928

Old 07-09-2019, 06:58 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

I agree with others about it being better, but totally understand taking it personally (I would too). Are the other teachers more laid back about discipline than you? I think as someone else mentioned, the kids often feel that being disciplined is yelling.

Last year before school started we recommended that a student be moved to my class. My teammate was told by P that I would “eat him alive”. So they left him. This teacher is amazing, but he walked all over her. Guess whose class he wound up in after multiple incidences?!

I’m waiting for this phase of “shower then with love, and all behaviors will be fixed” to be over 🙄
UVAgrl928 is offline   Reply With Quote

readerleader

Sounds like favortism
Old 07-10-2019, 07:53 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #7

It runs rampant at my school. My principal doesn't understand the difference between being friends and being friendly. Try not to take it personally. You are not going to be able to resolve this issue without making yourself look insecure, so let it go.
readerleader is offline   Reply With Quote

Becca4

Agree
Old 07-20-2019, 09:42 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #8

I agree with the others. I would be happy not having those kids in my class. And you are right...if you have to correct a behavior, some kids call that "yelling". Ugghhh Just enjoy your class and keep on keeping on!
Becca4 is offline   Reply With Quote