Help

BusyBoard

Anyone use SeeSaw?

>

Becca4

Anyone use SeeSaw?
Old 07-20-2019, 08:55 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

I love SeeSaw! I have my kids record themselves reading, and I can then view it at home instead of taking up class time. Also, I can record myself reading for them to follow along, or use if they were absent. What other ways do you use SeeSaw. I want to utilize this as much as possible!

TIA

Becca4 is offline   Reply With Quote

imcrazedw4

Seesaw
Old 07-20-2019, 10:51 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

I havenít heard of it but it sounds interesting. Iím hoping others will post about it, too.
imcrazedw4 is offline   Reply With Quote

sevenplus

Old 07-21-2019, 03:03 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

Yes! I've used it in kindergarten for 2 years and love it.

I mostly use it for students to photograph work they did during independent learning that there would otherwise be no product for (such as making words with magnetic letters) for accountability.

Sometimes I have them record an explanation. One example: they made a teen number out of play-doh then recorded themselves saying "this is a fifteen. It is a ten and a five."

I LOVE the parent piece and the translation feature has been an absolute game-changer for my non-English-speaking parents. It means the world to them that they can now confidently communicate with me and know what's going on in school.

I had a parent go to Senegal for a month (her son stayed home with his grandmother and was still attending school) and she was able to communicate with me and keep abreast of what was going on all the way from Africa!

I try to also take pictures while students are working or participating in classroom activities and send them to parents so they can see what we do because so many of the things we do are hands-on and experiential.
sevenplus is offline   Reply With Quote

UVAgrl928

Old 07-21-2019, 05:09 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

Teach with Tech is getting ready to start tomorrow!

https://teachwithtechconference.com/

Theyíve got a bunch of other sessions too! I know two years ago I used it for basics- just recording and photos. But it looks like now thereís more and more features (like creating assignments in Seesaw) that Iíd love to learn about!
Attachment

Sign in to view attachment. Not a member? Sign Up FREE
UVAgrl928 is offline   Reply With Quote

sevenplus

Old 07-21-2019, 05:21 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

I want to look more at the activities but most activities I looked at in the past were basically digitized worksheets which I'm not interested in.

There's a lot more in the activity library now so I'll have to check it out.

sevenplus is offline   Reply With Quote

Kinderkr4zy

Collaborating digitally
Old 07-21-2019, 07:21 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

I have used several premade lessons to help me with incorporating a district initiative to use computers for collaboration. I only have a half class set of chrome books so we do rotations and I half the class complete a grammar worksheet while I taught the other half a mini lesson-then we switched. Then for the next rotation the had to view other students work and give them feedback that told the student what needed to be fixed and why-according to our current or former grammar lessons. If the work had no mistakes they explained why the students work was correct. It gave them a choice in who to collaborate with and at the end of each rotation I was able to quickly read through and allow the feedback after I saw it was appropriate and correct. If it was incorrect I left it as unapproved and I went back in the afternoon and help the student correct their feedback and gave them a little one on one with the grammar standard.

I also did a lesson in figurative language where the kids choose a non literal saying and used the drawing tool to draw 2 pictures-one of what the saying means literally and one of what it means figuratively. Then the kids logged in and answered which pictures were which using the sentence frame-picture one shows the _____ meaning of the phrase______. I know that because ________.

The kids like it and think it’s fun. I like that I can differentiate and have my kids who have dictation services in their IEP record responses with it when I don’t have time to sit one on one and take dictation-especially when 4 kids have the service in their iep.

These are just a few examples of how I have used the premade lessons because I have just started with it and I am not that adept yet.

I haven’t used the parent piece yet-my school is known for its difficult parents so I tend to be very careful of including them in anything because I know it could always go horribly wrong.

Last edited by Kinderkr4zy; 07-21-2019 at 12:54 PM..
Kinderkr4zy is offline   Reply With Quote

CHenard

Seesaw
Old 07-21-2019, 07:46 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #7

Seesaw is my favorite free tech tool! I use it for every subject. Having my students record their thinking has helped me and my students improve so much. I can see where the errors are in their thinking. We all give each other feedback which has helped them improve.

Seesaw released several new really cool features about a month ago. I was able to try the new tools out with my summer school kids.

Sign up for the PD in Your PJs (free) to learn a lot more about Seesaw. If you can't watch it live they will send you the link to watch it after it's over. You can also view older webinars but they won't feature the new tools.

If this link works, here is an example of one of my 2nd-grade students showing her thinking. She is using the new tools. She shows her first reason for which one doesn't belong and then she is able to choose another answer and justify it all in the same video. I would be happy to share other examples of ways I used Seesaw with my 2nd graders.

https://app.seesaw.me/pages/shared_i...JJA&mode=share
CHenard is offline   Reply With Quote

Teacherbee_4

Years ago
Old 07-21-2019, 09:49 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #8

I did about 4 years ago when I worked in public schools and we were 1-1 with ipads.

I found I used most during our RtI time. I saw a group for intervention. What we did with the other students was up to use. I gave them choices, but they were all educational/productive choices. Since I had to spend the whole time with my small group at the table implementing a research-based intervention, it was harder to monitor what my other students were doing. To help with that, at the end of our RtI time, the students who didn't receive intervention had to provide proof on Seesaw of what they did/accomplished. This could be done in a way of their choosing. While there were loopholes, for the most part, it helped me keep students accountable.

We also piloted a PBL initiative that year and I used SeeSaw for students to submit evidence of their progress on their projects.

While I used it for other things, I do think I used it most as an accountability tool!

Sidenote, I believe I was trying to find the best way to hold students accountable during our RtI time and someone on PT suggested SeeSaw to me. I know I learned about SeeSaw first on PT when someone suggested to some problem or question I was posting about!
Teacherbee_4 is online now   Reply With Quote

iteachk2010

Old 07-21-2019, 11:33 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #9

Becca4,

My students, their parents/guardians and I love Seesaw, too! Several teachers and I have been using the free version for past two years. Each year I discover more. This year my principal is getting the school-wide version. I can't wait to see which features that opens up for us.

For parent communication, I use it in the following ways:
  • I take photos of the hard copies that the office sends home like school announcements, info about upcoming events... and post those so if parents lose the paper, they can check on Seesaw for it. No more panicked notes from parents the next day.
  • I post a weekly newsletter that tells what we are working on that week in each subject, the title of a read aloud I will use so parents can ask their child about it, important dates and reminders and a homework schedule listing the games and activities that will be in their homework folder that week.
  • I post links to short videos I've made that explain things like how our phonics program works (i.e. model how to mark words), review the terminology we use in math, explain and model a strategy or have tips for parents.
  • When we do STEM activities, I share Google Slides with the engineering and design process, along with photos of each group's project,so parents understand the process my students went through to get that end product. Students take a photo of their own group's project and upload to their journals. Then they add labels, a caption or record an explanation.
  • Sometimes I post details about a class project we are working on so the parents have some background before they view their child's post.

I think my parents messaged me on Seesaw more than they ever e-mailed me. Most of the comments were positive or quick questions.

I teach kindergarten. The first year I used Seesaw, I did most of the posting at the beginning of the year. I took the photos. It was probably Nov or Dec before the students started taking their own photos of their work and uploading. Life was so much easier.

So last year, I didn't wait. I started out the year teaching them how to take photos using the iPad. We discussed what we could take photos of and what the photo should look like-not blurry, make sure we can see all of it... and, because the way our internet permissions are set up, no other student faces in the photo. I still took photos and posted them, but I wasn't scrambling to make sure that I had a photo of each student.

Some Other Ways We Use Seesaw:
  • I video students reading a book at least once or twice a marking period. Then we'd watch the video together and talk about what we notice about their reading. (I love sharing these videos with their parents!)
  • Students take photos of their writing. Upload and then record themselves reading their own writing. They seemed to be more aware when their writing doesn't make sense or when they've left out a word when they did this.
  • For our phonics program, there is a dictation piece every day. At the beginning of the year the dictation is letters. It progresses to words. By the end of the year it is sentence dictation. Students use dry erase markers to write on plastic sheet protectors/guidelines inside. Since no worksheet goes home, parents don't get to see that piece. So about once every two weeks, I have students take a photo before they erase and upload. They record themselves reading it. Parents get to see the encoding and decoding.
  • In math when students solved problems, took photo of their work and recorded themselves explaining how they solved it.
  • When we worked on geometry, they went on 2-D and 3-D shape hunts. They took photos and labeled. They used pattern blocks to compose larger shapes. Took photos, labeled and recorded about what they did.
  • For writing, they drew pictures, uploaded photo and labeled. They took photos of their journal entries, uploaded and recorded themselves reading their entries. They did oral book reviews-took a photo of the book or drew a picture and shared their opinion and reasons. ...

Of course, my students loved taking photos during play and free-choice center time.

The first days of school, I take lots of photos of smiling happy children to reassure their parents that their child is adjusting/making friends and didn't spend the entire day crying because some are convinced that's what happens.

Last year my teammates and I explored the different activities on Seesaw. Between the first year and second year, the activities library expanded immensely. I used some of the Seesaw activities. Those inspired me to create my own activities for my particular group of students. It was very easy to do. The hard part was if I wanted to do an activity where they had to manipulate pictures, I had to use their emoticons which limited what I was able to do. Hopefully, they will develop a way that we can use clip art. If that happens, the possibilities are vast.

I created one or two simple coding activities. I made weekly activities for Word Work-things like picture sorts (drag pictures on mat to sort by beginning, middle, ending sound), letter/sound ID (drag letter, type letter or write the letter)...I was able to create activity mats with my own clip art. i.e. Say the name of the two pictures. Circle thumbs up if they rhyme and thumbs down if they don't. i.e. Given three pictures, circle two pictures whose names rhyme. Then they recorded themselves saying those picture names and one more word that rhymes.

I used Seesaw for some formative assessment and progress checks. i.e. We have sight word lists with five words. I made a mat for each list with the five words in random order. Students recorded themselves reading the words. After listening, I circled any words they didn't recognize. Parents knew which word(s) their child needed to review. i.e. By the end of the year, K students have to be able to orally count to 100. I created a mat that said, "I can count to ___ by ones." Students recorded themselves counting. After listening to their recording, I added the number they were able to count to. I could add comments, too.

I also use Google Classroom. I liked being able to share the stuff they did in Google Classroom with their parents/guardians on Seesaw.

This year, I would love to be brave and use the blog. (It took me two months before every student's parents signed up for Seesaw. Initially several parents were afraid because it involved the internet. Once they did do it, they loved it!) Has anyone else used the blog feature?

I can't wait to explore the new features. I bookmarked this thread.
iteachk2010 is offline   Reply With Quote

Kinderkr4zy

Old 07-21-2019, 01:12 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #10

Quote:
Students take photos of their writing. Upload and then record themselves reading their own writing. They seemed to be more aware when their writing doesn't make sense or when they've left out a word when they did this.
I am hoping to add this in next year-we already do peer editing, but I am hoping that reading their work aloud will help them with self editing. They all say they self edit but they tend to miss A LOT of very simple errors like missing words and sentences that dont make sense.

Kinderkr4zy is offline   Reply With Quote

Becca4

SeeSaw
Old 07-21-2019, 04:14 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #11

You guys ROCK! Thanks soooo much!!!

VivianCP

Old 07-22-2019, 03:24 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #12

I love Seesaw! Looks like you got a lot of ideas on how to use it. It just makes things easier for the teacher, more fun & engaging for the students & very helpful for parents.

One Friday, I realized that report cards were due Monday & I had forgotten to have the kids count orally to 100 (UGH! I absolutely hate listening to them do this. You have turtles, you have road runners, you have repeaters, you have "ummm" ers...) Seesaw to the rescue: I took a pic of my "Count to 100" BB headline, covered the numbers with a poster & they had an activity (before the 'activities' feature in Seesaw) to do during centers. I listened while multitasking, which made it less awful & time-wasting for me, plus I wasn't trying to listen to EVERY student do it in person that one day. Whew!

We have buddies in another grade level & I found a fun activity someone else had created for our K and 4th graders to do together before Christmas where they took selfies then compared & contrasted their holiday traditions. They had so much fun typing their responses, changing the font style & color, recording what they wrote, just working with their buddy!

A parent told my aide how appreciative he was for Seesaw, because he was out of town a lot but still was able to feel connected to his son because he knew what he was doing in school.

If you haven't connected with other Seesaw teachers yet, please do so! They are a great resource, as is PT. They have groups on FB, Twitter & Instagram, I think. I belong to 2 FB groups & they help with ideas & trouble shooting problems very quickly. I highly recommend them.

I apologize if I repeated anything that PPs said. I wanted to post first, now I am going back to read all the advice because I LOVE trying new things with Seesaw!
VivianCP is offline   Reply With Quote

Becca4

Thanks
Old 07-22-2019, 07:55 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #13

Thank you, VivianCP!!

PPCDTeacher

Old 07-22-2019, 08:20 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #14

I love seesaw and so does my class. I definitely need more ideas on how to use it.
PPCDTeacher is offline   Reply With Quote