Help

BusyBoard

Online lesson planning

>

trexteach

Online lesson planning
Old 07-19-2019, 08:47 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

I'm roughly, very roughly, considering looking into doing my lesson plans online. I at least want to check it out to see how it works. Does anyone do this? If so, what do you use?

trexteach is offline   Reply With Quote

GreyhoundGirl

Old 07-19-2019, 09:02 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

I use planbook.com. Itís $12 a year and worth it. Itís simple to use and I push things forward if I donít get to them. I can pull things up from the year before, get standards, and do lots of other things.

I donít use nearly all of the bells and whistles.
GreyhoundGirl is online now   Reply With Quote

Teacherbee_4

Bells and whistles
Old 07-19-2019, 09:04 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

Quote:
I donít use nearly all of the bells and whistles.
Not to hijack this person's post, but what are the other bells and whistles? I did use playbook my first year teaching, almost 9 years ago, but there were still "kinks". My new school pays for it for every teacher and has them do plans on it. I'm curious what the bells and whistles are now!
Teacherbee_4 is online now   Reply With Quote

trexteach

GreyhoundGirl
Old 07-19-2019, 09:08 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

Oh yeah, and I'm looking for free!

teacherwriter

Old 07-19-2019, 09:11 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

Another vote for Planbook.com here. This will be year no. 8 that I've used it. Unlike GG, I don't shift plans around or copy from year to year. (I've moved some lately, which is part of it.) You can add standards for your state and separate categories for homework and other items. I like to print out each day--habit--and file them for legal purposes and my own records. A former colleague used to keep hers all online, no printing, and shared the link with her assistant. That way, when the assistant subbed for the teacher, she had immediate access to the complete lesson plans. It was worked really well.

teacherwriter is online now   Reply With Quote

Haley23

Old 07-19-2019, 10:19 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

I also use planbook.com. I believe they have a free month long trial if you want to try it out. It's literally the only thing I spend my own money on for school- I just like the layout so much and it saves me a ton of time over hand writing plans. I tried to make my own thing in google docs and could never figure out anything I liked.

For me the benefits are:
-Color coding so I can see which group/plan I'm looking at right away
-Easy to bump lessons forward or copy/paste to a new day if there is some sort of interruption (which happens to us ALL of the time), and no messy look when things have to be changed
-Ability to highlight certain parts in different colors- I do a of phonics work and do all of my word lists that way so I can easily see them right away
-Ability to see them at school/home and on any device so I don't have to drag my work laptop everywhere
-Easy to see the previous year's plans- in my position, I can't really reuse them, but it was nice to look back and see certain things. Like in May I looked to see how long I'd done "regular lessons" leading up to the last day

If you need to add standards to your plans, they have a section that has them all listed so that you can just click on them. I don't have to, but that would be a big time saver for someone who does.
Haley23 is offline   Reply With Quote

UVAgrl928

Old 07-19-2019, 10:23 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #7

We were required to use planbook.com at my last school, and I just didnít love it. I just canít get over the formatting of it- but this could also be since I was at a school that didnít have any guidelines on lesson plans, to a school that needed a list of things included. Each week was like 6 pages long- I missed the two pages for the week I used to do.

The one thing I loved about it was collaboration. It made it sooo easy to enter plans to share with the team.

Trexteach- if youíre looking for free, you will probably need to just create a google drive doc. Iím not aware of any free programs.
UVAgrl928 is offline   Reply With Quote

trexteach

Thanks
Old 07-19-2019, 10:31 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #8

My previous principal, from years and years ago, checked our plans and had requirements for what we included. We are free to create/write our plans as we wish in my current district. Maybe that would make using an online planner a bit easier. I might try the free trial of planbook.com and also attempt to set one up myself in Google. Iíd rather screw it up now than when school starts back up and I really need it.

Thank you for the suggestions.

KetchupChips

Google docs
Old 07-19-2019, 10:39 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #9

Iíve used Google docs. If you know how to make a table, itís pretty easy. Once you have the ďmaster tableĒ, the hardest part is done. You can share this document with whomever you choose. Good luck!
KetchupChips is offline   Reply With Quote

dee

Planbook
Old 07-19-2019, 11:50 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #10

Definitely worth the small fee.

I am not an online expert and planbook is easy!!!!

dee is offline   Reply With Quote

trexteach

KetchupChips and Dee
Old 07-19-2019, 12:01 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #11

Thanks for the input. I just saved a tutorial for using Planbook.com from YouTube. Looking for one on Google now. 👍

KetchupChips

Check out this document
Old 07-19-2019, 01:17 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #12

Hi Trexteach,

I uploaded a clean version of my Word document that can be uploaded into a Google doc. Would this be what you're looking for? You can edit the document by writing over my text. I took out my specific information and left generic labels for you. What I did was keep a master copy without specific dates, etc. Then each week, make a copy of the document and write on that. This way, your master copy is saved.

Hope this helps!
Attached Files
File Type: docx Weekly Lesson Plan.docx (9.3 KB, 63 views)

Teacherbee_4

I like this!
Old 07-19-2019, 02:17 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #13

KetchupChips, I like yours!
Teacherbee_4 is online now   Reply With Quote

MayCee

Online Lessons
Old 07-19-2019, 03:49 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #14

Iíve used Planbook for several years. Next year Iím doing my plans in Google Docs.

Ives set up my template and Iíve alreadt roughly planned my first 3 weeks of school (well actually my entire first unit, but my first 3 weeks wonít change that much and the rest of my unit might). Iíve placed all of my materials for different lessons in folders and linked those back to my plans. When I share this with my P she will have access to all of my lessons, standards, and materials. For me, I click the link, and if needed print the pages numbers Iíve already referenced in my plans. It was nice leaving school and knowing I had this much finished already for the first 3 weeks. And itís super easy to make adjustments and notes.
MayCee is offline   Reply With Quote

trexteach

Old 07-19-2019, 05:59 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #15

KetchupChips--Awesome! Thanks for sharing! I'm going to play around with it to try to make it fit my schedule. Here goes...

MayCee--I really like the idea of being able to collect lessons in different folders to use with the plans. Thanks for the ideas.

KetchupChips

Old 07-19-2019, 07:02 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #16

Thanks Teacherbee!

Trexteach, glad you like it. I do hope it will be useful.

trexteach

My template
Old 07-19-2019, 11:12 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #17

KetchupChips--Here's what I came up with. Hopefully, it will work well. If not, at least I gave it a shot. Thanks for sharing your template as a model.

Hmmm...trying to get it all on one page now. I wasn't thinking about the fact that it's just a template and the spaces will enlarge while filling them in. Ugh!

Last edited by trexteach; 07-20-2019 at 07:34 AM..
trexteach
Old 07-19-2019, 11:17 PM
This message has been deleted by trexteach.

Linda/OH

online plans
Old 07-20-2019, 04:17 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #18

Thanks KetchupChips! I just saved your template to my googledocs. I always type my plans to share with SPED and other team members. But this is more streamlined then what I was doing.
Love it!
Linda/OH is offline   Reply With Quote

KetchupChips

You're Welcome
Old 07-20-2019, 07:30 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #19

trexteach - Your template looks awesome! You're all set. (You've probably figured out, you can just delete empty lines as you're working on each box to reduce the size. Or, alternatively, you can highlight the area and type over it, which then sizes it to your text.)

Linda - I'm glad you may find it useful.

Hope you both enjoy the rest of summer!

trexteach

KetchupChips
Old 07-20-2019, 07:48 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #20

I gave it another shot. When I set up the table, I wasn't able to figure out how to resize the "set" table spaces to make them smaller, so I improvised. At least now, on the template, M-W are on one page and TH-F are on another.

I'm a little worried about how it will work during meetings when we need to jump ahead to a different month since I will not be just flipping ahead pages in my paper planbook. However, I'm hoping that setting up all the months ahead of time in my Drive folder will make it easier to find.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf REVISED LESSON PLAN TEMPLATE.pdf (54.1 KB, 26 views)

KetchupChips

Look great!
Old 07-20-2019, 11:31 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #21

Looks great!

I think this version looks even better! Are you using Word to edit this? I found Google Docs to be cumbersome so I worked on Word to do major edits. Word had more features.

I also printed out the week to have a paper copy. I used that like a paper plan book. I could write on the paper copy and, later, add it online if I chose to. I also had a paper calendar in my binder.

Thanks for sharing!

Last edited by KetchupChips; 07-20-2019 at 11:51 AM.. Reason: Spelling (but couldn’t correct title)

trexteach

KetchupChips
Old 07-20-2019, 05:44 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #22

I used Google to edit even though it is kind of a pain that it doesn't have all the features of Word. I wanted to be able to access it easily but was afraid it wouldn't transfer correctly from Word to Google. I'm anxious to give this a try this year. I hope I like it.

Enjoy the rest of your summer!

MissESL

Planbook
Old 07-20-2019, 07:39 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #23

I use planbook but I understand planboard is basically the same but free.
MissESL is offline   Reply With Quote

Haley23

Old 07-20-2019, 09:22 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #24

Quote:
I use planbook but I understand planboard is basically the same but free.
I remember seeing that in another post, so earlier this summer I created an account and poked around a bit. I didn't love the lay out (honestly I'm sure it's just because I've been using planbook for so long). When school starts I'll have to decide if it's worth getting used to a whole new site to avoid paying the $15. Is planboard new? I also wonder if it's a type of set up where it will be free at first while they work out kinks/draw people in and then will charge later.

trexteach

Old 07-21-2019, 05:31 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #25

Thank you MissESL and Haley23 for the suggestions. I think I came across something called Planboard when I was searching around, but I didn't stop to check it out. Maybe I'll look into it soon.

Haley23

Old 07-21-2019, 06:08 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #26

I did some more digging around the planboard site last night after this post, and it appears you have to pay for an "upgraded" account to access some features, notably to share your plans with others. So far I haven't really had to do that, so I think I would be fine using the free version. I'm a cheapskate, so I think I'm going to try it out. If for some reason I do need to share my plans with someone else, it seems like it's easy enough to download and email them or even print them out if necessary.

trexteach

Haley23
Old 07-21-2019, 06:48 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #27

You'll have to let us know how it works out. If I'm not thrilled with using my template this year, I'm going to still be looking for options.