Help

Special Education

1st Year Teacher Needs Advice!

>

kasher72

1st Year Teacher Needs Advice!
Old 04-28-2010, 03:17 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

I am a first year teacher teaching K-2 Special Ed. Each grade level regular ed teacher has all the IEP kids and one teacher has the only 2 kids with autism in the whole district. I am the case manager for these 2 kids and have instruction with them 40 min a day. The general ed teacher does not involve me in anything with these students. She never informs me about their academics even when I ask.The special ed team for these students meet every Tuesday. She picked the dates and times when I have other students in my room and said its not her problem I cant come. She will schedule meetings with the students' next year teachers and leave me out and when I confront her about she tells me she doesnt care if I come or not. She acts like she is the special education teacher and my job means nothing to her. She is young and has only been teaching for 3 years so you would think she would want to help me out, but I just feel she is judging everything I do and trying to make me sink. I was taught all through college that special edcation is left out and isolated but not when everything that is going on is about my students. I love having my students and I want to be involved in every aspect, but they wont allow me.

Any advice on what should I do to become more involved with the special ed team when I am the special educator and how should I deal with the day to day neglect. I just want to come home from work without crying because of one teacher!

kasher72 is offline   Reply With Quote

mrsh66

Old 04-28-2010, 04:42 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

Were you assigned a mentor teacher on staff or at least in your district? I would see if you could find someone that might guide you through this. It's difficult being the new kid and establishing boundaries. If you have anyone at another school that could give you direction that would be great. I would try to find, in black and white, exactly what your involvement with the students is supposed to be and present that to the teacher. Explain that the students are legally obligated to receive your services regardless of whether it's convenient for the teacher.
mrsh66 is offline   Reply With Quote

mommy3&paco

so sorry
Old 04-28-2010, 04:56 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

I feel so bad for you! I can remember coming home crying my first year also!! Do you have a mentor teacher or a Director of Special Ed you could talk to? Another teacher in the building maybe able to give you better advice because she knows the climate of your building.

Please talk to somebody about this! I know as a first year teacher you may not want to cause conflict, but you are unable to do your job because of her behavior. I would want to know why she is scheduling meetings with the special ed team without you. You should be the one scheduling these meetings. I am assuming that since you are the case manager, you are responsible for writing the IEP and ensuring it is followed.
mommy3&paco is offline   Reply With Quote

kasher72

Old 04-28-2010, 05:01 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

My mentor is recovering from breast cancer surgery so I am the only special education teacher in the building. My school is very small only 300 kids for a K-4 building. During her students bathroom breaks she will stand at a wall and watch my every move when I am with my students. She never asks or cares about the students goals. I just dont know what to do!

newspedteach

what mommy3 said
Old 04-28-2010, 05:20 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

I can't believe the treatment you are enduring. I too wonder why SHE is scheduling meetings with YOUR TEAM? And, more importantly, why is your team allowing this? If the case manager can't be at a meeting regarding his/her students, the meeting needs to be rescheduled. I am the primary point person for the students on my caseload. I am the one who sets up the meetings about my student, with the exception of fall conferences--and the gen. ed. teacher always checks with me first to make sure I can attend.

First off, I would (if you haven't already) speak up to your sped team and tell them that you need to attend any and all meetings regarding all of your students. YOU are responsible for their IEP goals and you MUST have access to information regarding them. I would speak to your principal as well. I'm sorry your mentor is unavailable. Can another one be assigned? Unfortunately, if there is only one sped teacher in the building, NO ONE else in that building knows exactly what you do or what you are going through, no matter how educated with special ed.

If you get no satisfaction with this, contact your special ed. director at district level and professionally tell him/her what is going on and ask for help. I would try and solve this at building level first, though.

Good luck to you. Hopefully, this will be solved for you soon. I would be wary of working with this teacher in the future. I sure hope you have supportive administration, because it appears you need it .

newspedteach is online now   Reply With Quote

kasher72

Old 04-28-2010, 05:56 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

Well the funny thing is that teacher, admin and parts of my team are very close and Im the new comer. Im just afraid of talking to others about it because I dont want anything to get back to the teacher or admin and cause more chaos. I just thought that if there was anything about my students that I had to know because when it comes down to it Im the one that reports it in IEP meetings because she wont be there.

Just so frustrating!

Thanks for the advice!

newspedteach

the gen ed teacher
Old 04-28-2010, 07:58 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #7

is also required to be at IEP meetings though.

I just don't understand how a special ed. team would want to hold meetings without the special ed. teacher about the sped teacher's students! I'm wondering if I'm missing something.

You're going to have to enlist the help of someone, or bite the bullet and tackle this head on and insist you be at the meetings. Approach it with the spirit of collaboration and doing the best for the students. Also, make it clear that you can't do your job without their cooperation and that is what you want to do--your job.

Good luck. This is definitely out of the norm, as most of the time, the gen. ed. teachers just want 'our' kids out of 'their' rooms and don't really care to have ownership.
newspedteach is online now   Reply With Quote

spedkidsrock

paper trail
Old 04-29-2010, 07:41 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #8

Be sure to create as much of a paper trail as you can. Correspond via email and save the emails. Document every conversation you had with the teacher noting date and time.

Since you have students in the classroom, be sure to visit the classroom to monitor your IEP students. Bring a note pad to make notes (and make sure you look at her a few times, then scribble notes--it makes them nervous

You are the special ed point person in the building. She needs to meet you half way. She's putting the school in a position of liability and I would make sure the principal understands this. You're in a tough spot, don't be swayed.
spedkidsrock is offline   Reply With Quote

mommy3&paco

I agree!
Old 04-29-2010, 05:46 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #9

Document, document, document everything. If push comes to shove, be the one who is prepared!! Please keep us updated - I want you to get through this still wanting to be the great teacher I bet you are. We need more special education teachers like you!!
mommy3&paco is offline   Reply With Quote

jeejer

Old 04-29-2010, 08:05 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #10

What is the "job description" attached to case manager? Is there a district policy? That to me is where to start. Find out if there are official duties at your site or in your district. In ours we set the dates of all meetings, take care of all coordinating of times and services, (with the cooperation of the reg. ed teachers of course) and handle all paperwork. I'd make sure if there is a written description that everyone gets a copy.

jeejer is offline   Reply With Quote
Peperton

Peperton

Quit
Old 06-22-2010, 09:22 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #11

Quit and go to a different school district as it seems that this one is crazy and no one is speaking up for you.

That teacher will become a vice principal and later a principal so you need to make some hard decisions.

I would go teach at a private school or prep school where you will be much appreciated but you must tell her how you feel as well as carefully document everything to her supervisors.

Quit and move on--more people at that school are worse.