Help

The VENT

Crying over Handwriting without Tears

>

westwitch

Crying over Handwriting without Tears
Old 08-16-2010, 01:09 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

Just got back from school, where the system that had "no money" has purchased Handwriting Without Tears, right down to the rabbit in the top hat. Loved the program we had, and am not too jazzed about this from first look. Also not happy that we didn't find out until we unpacked the boxes today...surprise!

Has anyone given HWT a go and actually liked it? Any advice? Would love to hear what you think!

westwitch is offline   Reply With Quote

rachelmpd

Which one
Old 08-16-2010, 01:16 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

What are you using it for-printing or cursive? I used the cursive one and liked it because I am left handed and block everything when I write. I am not sure if it was, but it is supposed to be "easier" because there are not a lot of loops. That was one of the things I hated about 3rd grade was teaching cursive. So I rarely did. I bought the workbooks with my own money and mostly let the kids work on their own.

The teacher I student taught with loved it, which is why I bought it. Then it just became easier.
rachelmpd is offline   Reply With Quote

rissable

Hwt
Old 08-16-2010, 02:09 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

I thought the bells and whistles that were part of the program (ie, mini chalkboards, rabbit in hat, etc.) were better than the program itself. Formation of the letters with HWT is in direct contrast to the way I taught kindergarteners to form letters (top to bottom). Anyway, try to do what you can, take what you deem appropriate and teach the way you like
rissable is offline   Reply With Quote

IA11

HW w/o Tears
Old 08-16-2010, 02:19 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

I have used it in preschool and K and like it. It does teach all capital letters first (at least at Preschoool and K levels). It teaches to start each letter at the top. CD's have pretty good songs about how to pick up and hold a 'crayon' (which is what they start out with -- little itty bitty ones). I personally like it. It was formulated by an OT. My ds used it years ago with an OT. It 'mainstreamed' a few years ago -- at least in my part of the country and the primary grades in my elem. school all use it.

Give it a chance! :-)
IA11 is offline   Reply With Quote

njbeachreader

Old 08-16-2010, 02:39 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

I used both the printing and cursive books. I didn't like them at first...but the children did learn easily...without tears...I had taught cursive before and always had children who struggled with it...in this program the kids do learn it without frustrations! good luck

njbeachreader is offline   Reply With Quote

cptjway

Related book suggestiong
Old 08-16-2010, 03:11 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

Teachers at my school who have used HW w/oT like it.
A fun book to read to the class, or for a book study is Muggie Maggie, by Beverly Cleary, about a third grade girl who refuses to learn cursive. It's funny, and kids really relate to it.
cptjway is offline   Reply With Quote

dramacentral

Old 08-16-2010, 03:39 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #7

Our OTs are in charge of our handwriting program and this is the one they've chosen for our students who have any sort of graphomotor issue. We didn't buy any bells and whistles, just the workbooks.
dramacentral is offline   Reply With Quote

Tiki

Hwt
Old 08-16-2010, 05:41 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #8

We use the program. I do like the cursive instruction. We use that in 3rd. I wasn't a fan when I taught 2nd and had to review the print stuff. We were told the program would solve all the problems with poor handwriting and directionality. It didn't do that. I had just as many students with poor handwriting coming to me as I had before. Our district started it with K and then moved it up as that class moved up so by the time I had to learn to teach it the students had had it since K.

Now in 3rd I do like it. The cursive really works well for the students. Of course it was a challenge for me to learn to write in cursive without a slant and no loops. We did not use any of the bells and whistles. We just use the workbooks.
Tiki is offline   Reply With Quote

pro/new2grade

Sorry ~ no help, I hate it :(
Old 08-16-2010, 05:43 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #9

I can't help you, of all of the different programs and curriculums that I have used this one takes the prize for my least favorite ~ EVER. I did everything I could for the past 3 years to avoid teaching HWOT cursive ~ if you can call it that. We like to call it connective print and my entire team hates it. Hopefully year four is our final year.
pro/new2grade is offline   Reply With Quote

Prairie Teach

Old 08-17-2010, 05:57 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #10

I don't like it either. We are free to use it as needed in our classroom. It was developed by a mother whose child had special needs. I like the terminology and we try to be consistent and introduce the letters in the correct order, but we use middle lines because that is the way any worksheets that we use are set up. I push it the most with students that have fine motor problems.

Prairie Teach is offline   Reply With Quote

saralara

Old 08-17-2010, 05:58 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #11

I absolutely adore HWOT and my kids have awesome handwriting because of it. It does take a bit of getting used to though.

This last year we had an assistant "visit" different classrooms all day long and teach it in 15 minute chunks. That rocked. It gave me time to pee and talk to the strugglers for a second.
saralara is offline   Reply With Quote