tell me about your first week of morning meeting! - ProTeacher Community

Home Join Now Search My Favorites
Help

Magnolia Room

tell me about your first week of morning meeting!

>

TeacherBB

TeacherBB

tell me about your first week of morning meeting!
Old 08-13-2011, 12:25 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

I am wondering what you RC teachers do the first week of MM. I am looking for greetings, shares and activities--thanks!

Gommergirl

first 3 days MM
Old 08-13-2011, 05:54 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

I teach 4th grade...

Day 1 - Greeting- I don't have the students greet each other in case they don't know names yet... What I do is model a proper greeting and ask my new class what they notice about the greeting... From there we develop a list of reminders of what a greeting should look like. I then type those up to post for the school year to refer to.

Sharing- Day 1 - I have students share their name.

Activity - I teach my show 5 signal. My signal for getting their attention. I time them to see how many seconds it takes to have everyone showing five.

Day 2

Greeting- Review reminders about a proper greeting. Shake hands and good morning _____.
going around the circle.

Sharing- I introduce my sharing sign up calendar. I have a weekly calendar sheet that students can sign up to share. Then I model sharing by doing it myself. I share something going on in my life. I limit it to 2 to 3 sentences of info. Then I model saying, "I'm ready for questions or comments." Then students are allowed to make comments or appropriate questions. Usually around 5. Then I would model saying, "Thank you for listening." Then the whole class responds, "Thank you for sharing."

Activity - Zoom (If you don't know it see the Origins website)
Very low risk game

Day 3 - If the Good morning ______ went well the day before I would move on to something new. Otherwise I would do it one more time. High 5 - and say good morning ______

Sharing - If someone signs up, follow model from day 2. If not I would do a whip share around the circle. What is your favorite pizza topping? Before going around the circle I would ask all the kiddos to give me a thumbs up if they have their answer. I also ask them to answer the question in a complete sentence.

Activity - Count to ten. Players can say one or two numbers at a time. Whoever says ten is out of that round of the game. Before playing this game we talk about being a good sport. How would a good sport react when they are out of the game?

Hope this helps...I don't know what grade you are so it could be differrnt for younger students.

TeacherBB

TeacherBB

Old 08-14-2011, 07:55 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

thanks very much... I'm 4th grade too! I notice the way you are scaffolding! That will make it so the kids can ease into these higher risk greetings and activities.

Mrs. R :)

Tatum
Old 08-17-2011, 04:14 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

I notice you used reinforcing language in your response! It was genuine and thoughtful.

What are you looking for exactly? Are there some resources I can direct you to, or are you just looking for ideas from colleagues?