Help

Magnolia Room

How do you afford it?

>

commagirl

How do you afford it?
Old 03-24-2012, 05:23 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

I would really like to attend RC2, but it's not offered anywhere near me. I traveled out of state for RC1 and crashed on a friend's couch, but that is no longer an option. Paying the tuition + airfare/rental car + hotel = way more money than I have. The hotels that they suggest on the website are expensive, but I don't really see significantly cheaper options out there.

What have other people done? Or should I just not try to attend?

Last edited by commagirl; 03-24-2012 at 05:43 PM..

Fibber McGee

affording RC2
Old 05-03-2012, 11:05 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

Some districts have flexible, generous payment for PD, some schools bring RC teachers in to do PD right there in the school, and it's hard if yours doesn't. Good that you want to learn more despite these obstacles. It won't be as thorough or fun as a workshop with other teachers, but you could do a sort of independent study this summer. Look at what RC2 covers - teacher language, academic choice, problem-solving, guided discovery. You can read RC books about one or more of those topics (if your budget is really short, interlibrary loan?) and just start using what you learn in your classroom. Also - you know about the free YouTube channel - you might be able to see in action what you're learning about.

commagirl

Old 05-03-2012, 06:40 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

Thank you for your reply. The thing is, I've read lots of the books and have subscribed to the newsletter for years. I went to RC1 last year (paid my own way), and I did bite the bullet earlier this week and sign up for RC2. It's kinda embarrassing to admit that I'm paying for it myself and my district/school is not (or at least, it seemed embarrassing last year), but oh well.

My district is starting to adopt a lot of the RC ideas, but no official training. Just watch--they'll pay next summer for everyone to go, and I will have already gone.

Thanks again.