Help

Magnolia Room

Quiet Time

>

nhdisneygirl

Quiet Time
Old 06-29-2012, 04:05 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

I was wondering what other teachers have their students do during quiet time. Right now I have them either read, write or draw. Thanks for any input!

kit1024

Whatever :)
Old 06-30-2012, 04:09 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

Last year I did quiet time for the first time, and I let my kids do almost anything, as long as they were quiet and stayed at their desks. Most chose to read or draw. Some didn't do anything except sit there and stare off into space, and I was ok with that. I was considering not doing quiet time this coming year, just because I many times wished for 10 extra minutes to finish a lesson last year. My kids really loved having quiet time though, so I don't know yet!

Mrs. R :)

Don't give it up!!!
Old 07-01-2012, 04:20 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

Quite Time is such a terrific way to allow children the time they need to get their brains and bodies ready for the afternoon of learning you have planned for them. If anything, perhaps shorten it to 7 minutes.

One idea is to create a list with your students of things that they can do alone and silently. Revisit your list several times throughout the year if you like. You'll be amazed at what types of activities the students would like to have the opportunity to do!

acoffland

Quiet Time
Old 07-13-2012, 01:31 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

I just had my students lay their heads down to rest. After lunch recess they were hot and sweatly so I would turn down the air conditioner and let them rest for a few minutes. This gave me time to gather math materials.

craftyteach1

Old 07-31-2012, 07:18 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

I have not done quiet time yet but will be doing it this year. I think it is a great idea! They can finish unfinished work, read, do a boggle type activity. There are a lot of silent activities they can do at their desks. Anything on a dry erase board is a hit with my kids!

interventio

quiet time
Old 08-04-2012, 11:03 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

You could offer puzzles (if you have a place for them to leave them before they are finished) or brain teasers.

*Fairydust*

Old 08-15-2012, 07:30 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #7

During our quiet time kids can read, write, draw or do nothing. Most of the time they choose to draw. But lots of my kids love to read and write and they love the extra minutes to read their book or to work on a story they've been writing. Hardly anyone chooses "do nothing" ..well at least not last yr.

cafe11

Quiet Time works both ways for me
Old 12-27-2012, 07:46 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #8

I'm the type of person who, at times, does a routine for a little bit but then stops after a while because something else comes along that seems better, more fun, less time consuming, etc. I wish I could be more consistent - however, quiet time was something I incorporated for the first time this year and it has been so beneficial for me and my students. Teachers need quiet time too! Our school and grade level is so fast-paced and the schedule is extremely crunched. It is so compacted that if I find myself relaxing for a couple of minutes that it is usually because I forgot something or am late for something. During quiet time, I can get ready for math, grade, talk out social issues with a few students who are having a rough day, check emails... I recommend it. It's the one thing that has been a part of every single day and I've never taken it away from them!