2 grades and a large caseload, need help! - ProTeacher Community

Home Join Now Search My Favorites
Help

Special Education

2 grades and a large caseload, need help!

>

pugrad

pugrad

2 grades and a large caseload, need help!
Old 11-10-2012, 04:56 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

First let me explain my situation. This is my second year teaching, my first year teaching resource. My first year I taught 7th grade inclusion, now I'm in a new school, in a new state teaching 8th grade resource, which I have loved so far. The way my classes were scheduled I have kids being served for math only, reading only, writing only and those who need a combination of these that are all mixed together in the same classes. Which I have been doing my best with so far. Now they have they have split the 7th grade resource students between the 6th grade resource teacher and myself, adding more students to my caseload. I need some ideas on what and how to teach this diverse group. When it was just my 8th graders I usually did 2 days of reading 2 days of math and one day of writing. I tried to work on skills that went along with what was going on in their regular ed classes. I have no idea how to accomplish this with 2 grades. Another problem is our school has been using the SRA reading program; the 8th graders are in the Decoding C book the 7th graders are in Decoding B. And if anyone is familiar with this program it is not possible to do both. What should I do to teach decoding (many of my students read on a 3rd grade level)? How do I support them in the regular ed? And how do I keep up with 30+ students on my caseload, and make sure they are getting accommodations in reg ed while teaching 5 periods a day? And with all of this how do I keep my sanity and not turn in to a complete grouch while working with middle schoolers? (my kids are great, it's while I'm on duty that I get the most attitudes)

Ideas, resources, free-curriculum and prayers would be appreciated.

sp ed in TX

Old 11-12-2012, 03:33 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

I had a simiiar problem. 48 resource students, 8 preps everyday, plus having to teach 3 regular ed classes every day. I was going crazy trying to keep up with their regular classes and what they should know. My sp ed director helped a lot when she told me to stop, think, name three things the majority of the students need (with me understanding math vocabulary was number one). Then teach that. Don't teach subjects teach the children what they truely need. The students are making greater gains their scores are better and I am happier so win win in my case. Hopefully this helps you.
sp ed in TX is offline   Reply With Quote