Help

Kindergarten

Counting to 100 by tens

>

prek_cait

Counting to 100 by tens
Old 01-13-2013, 06:33 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

I am struggling to teach my kiddos this concept. They are having a difficult time grasping it. How do you teach this?

prek_cait is offline   Reply With Quote

ggg123

Old 01-13-2013, 09:05 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

Heidisongs has a great counting to 100 by 10's song. We sing it during calendar.
Jen
ggg123 is offline   Reply With Quote

funkid

Counting to 100
Old 01-13-2013, 09:10 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

I have had success using a poster boards ]with ten circles traced on it (I used a Cool Whip container as the tracer). The children are in groups (4 or 5) and given a bowl of objects to count out 100. I feel like they begin to get that 100 is 10 tens. After they have counted their objects I give them cards labeled 10~20~30....they add the labels in sequential order. The objects that I use are dollar store items...glass stones~Q-tips~anything else that won't roll around. I also have large cards with the tens numbers on them as the group counts there are 10 children up front and they flip their card over when we get to that number. Of course, first we get them in the correct order, which is a great review and some silliness when they are out of order. The 100 card is written in glue and glittered!! Hope some of this helps...excuse typos, I'm on my Kindle.
funkid is offline   Reply With Quote

iteachk2010

Counting by tens
Old 01-13-2013, 10:36 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

Like PP, counting to 100 by 10s is part of our calendar routine. I agree that the Heidi Songs is helpful. I have a tape I got from Scholastic years ago with songs counting to 100 by 2s, 5s and 10s. You might check Dr. Jean or Harry Kindergarten. If you have access to Smartboard and youtube, there are some catchy songs on youtube videos you can use.

In my class, each student has a calendar binder to keep everyone engaged during the calendar routine. I made the pages to go along with everything I have on the board. There is a calendar leader who leads the group using the items on the board. It is hard in the beginning of the year, but by now most of my students are able to do it without my assistance. Everyone follows along and records in their own binder. The routine has two parts. The first part of the routine focuses on the months of the year, monthly calendar, writing the date and graphing the weather, birthdays and/or missing teeth.

For the second part of the routine, we work with the number of days we've been in school for the year. That is when we practice counting by ones, fives and tens. They have a number grid in their calendar binder. (I copied it on cardstock and use hole reinforcers to make it sturdier since we do it every day.) The first couple of rows have dotted line numbers for them to trace at the beginnning of the year. Then there are blank boxes for the rest of the year. (We are in school for 180 days so the front side is a hundred grid, but the back only has 80.) Each day we count up by ones to the current number. We write the current number in the box on the grid. When we get to the end of each row (the tens), we also color that box yellow. Then we count by 10s (We ride the elevator down the yellow boxes) and count on by ones if we need to go to the next row. For 53, "10, 20, 30, 40, 50" Say, "Switch" "51, 52, 53."
Next we add a straw to the place value chart and read that number. We say how many tens and how many ones. We flashcount the tens by opening/shutting our hands (ten fingers) while counting by 10s and use our pointer finger to draw pull-down strokes for the ones if we have to count on by ones.
After that, we have a tally chart for the year. We add the tally mark. If the group is complete we write the number underneath the group. We count by 5s and count on by ones if needed. Then we have blank ten-frames. We add a counter (draw a circle). When the ten-frame is filled with ten counters, then we write the number underneath it. (When we were in school for 32 days, we had three filled ten-frames and one ten-frame with only two counters. Underneath the first ten-frame, it said 10, underneath the second one it said 20 and underneath the third one it said 30. We didn't write anything underneath the fourth one. We would count "10, 20, 30" Say, "Switch." and count on by ones "31, 32." I hope that makes sense.)
Finally we have blank double-five dominoes. We add a dot each day. When one side of the domino has five it is complete and write the number underneath. It gives us more practice counting by fives and counting on by ones. If you wanted to use double five dominoes, you could wait until both sides were filled (ten) and have them write the number underneath so they would count by tens instead of fives.
Most students will learn a counting by ten song quickly, but the numbers don't mean anything to them. It is just memorized. You will need to do activities like the PP where the students use manipulatives to make groups of ten and count. They need lots of practice with manipulatives to grasp the concept. Point out the pattern-ending in zero and how the number in the tens place increases by one. I have a dog-theme in my classroom. I have pawprints with the ten numbers that have magnets on the back. Sometimes I mix up the pawprints and have them put them back in the correct order. I also will remove a pawprint and have them tell me which one is missing. You could make stepping stones with the tens numbers. Have them hop on them and say the numbers in order. You can make simple dot-to-dot activities using the ten numbers. Another idea-you can draw the circles with the numbers on the blacktop with chalk. Students can hop on the stones while counting by tens during recess time.
I hope I was able to give you some helpful ideas.
iteachk2010 is offline   Reply With Quote

happykids

Old 01-13-2013, 05:12 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

Have Fun Teaching videos on YouTube. Great songs taht they get the pattern and then the numbers seem to make more sense.
I

Each day that ends in a 0 we have a Zero the Hero Day. Check into it. Kids look forward to watching the old school house rock video.

happykids is offline   Reply With Quote

bucket

Counting by 10's song
Old 01-13-2013, 06:05 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

I used to sing this song my students when I taught kindergarten.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f7ZjjUpBhzY

I had a 100's chart in my room where we added a number each day. The 10's were a different color. The tune is catchy and they learn it quickly. I didn't use the cd or the full version of the song. We just sang the counting by 10's part once each morning as part of calendar time.

ETA: It looks like Barbara Milne isn't happy that someone posted her song on youtube. So listen to it soon before it is taken off! She wrote a post saying that she is reporting them to youtube for illegally posting her song.
bucket is offline   Reply With Quote

Sbkangas5

Old 01-13-2013, 08:06 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #7

I use a song, too. We also do it during calendar - both when counting the straws in our "how many days have we been in school" chart and on the 100's chart.
Sbkangas5 is offline   Reply With Quote

jacque/Wa/K-1

Old 01-13-2013, 08:26 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #8

We work a lot with 5 and then ten groups using students' fingers...so when we line up, I have them count by 5's or 10's using their fingers, I do an alternating five groups for counting by fives (they flash five fingers on one hand and then the other as we count to 100), or flash all ten fingers for each count of 10, 20, etc. for counting to 100. I then ask if anyone is brave enough to do it on their own and make a big toodoo over how brilliant they are....get more and more each day until nearly everyone has had a turn....and we help anyone who gets stuck or diverted, it's a totally non-pressured way to do it....they love it and can't wait to try it. We do it a LOT altogether first.
jacque/Wa/K-1 is offline   Reply With Quote

Mugs

Tune of Little Bunny Foo Foo
Old 01-14-2013, 03:07 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #9

In the tune of "Little Bunny Foo Foo" - Just in case one doesn't know the tune, here's a you-tube video with the tune.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R6xKM-H2awE

But I change the words to the numbers, I sing the following:

10, 20, 30 . . . 40, 50, 60. . . .70, 80, 90 . . . then comes 100 AGAIN!
10, 20, 30 . . . 40, 50, 60. . . .70, 80, 90 . . . then comes 100.

We sing it using our 100th chart that we keep track of the number of days we've been in school by turning over the next card . . . All the cards are put in the chart with the number facing the wall and we turn a card around each day. By 10's are in blue print and we just point and sing away.
Mugs is offline   Reply With Quote

4yroldteacher

Counting by 5's
Old 01-14-2013, 04:47 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #10

I have 5's to 50 hanging down near the door, and before we leave, we sing a song I made up. It's to the tune of Did You ever see a lassie?

We also sing a 10, 20, 30 (to 100) song (with numbers 10 to 100 hanging down near the door) that I got from a Discovery Toys CD called Sounds Like Fun. I'm wondering if Barbara Milne sang it!

I'm going to have to try that flashing-5-fingers activity while we sing by 5's and by 10s. Thanks, Jacque.

4yroldteacher is offline   Reply With Quote

bucket

Discovery Toys CD
Old 01-14-2013, 06:26 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #11

Quote:
We also sing a 10, 20, 30 (to 100) song (with numbers 10 to 100 hanging down near the door) that I got from a Discovery Toys CD called Sounds Like Fun. I'm wondering if Barbara Milne sang it!
Yes, she did! She sang and wrote many of the songs on that CD.
bucket is offline   Reply With Quote

Mr Sensai

Old 01-16-2013, 05:10 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #12

I hid post it notes with the numbers on them in the room. The kids would find them and stick them on the whiteboard in order. Then we counted them. Then they closed their eyes and counted to 100 by tens as I hid them again.
Mr Sensai is offline   Reply With Quote

lovkteaching

Old 01-19-2013, 10:10 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #13

Harry Kindergarten has a youtube video where he is climbing up a mountain counting to ten. We put it on the smartboard and pretend to climb along with him.
lovkteaching is offline   Reply With Quote

Kindre

Building up to it over time...
Old 02-08-2013, 11:21 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #14

...we have been counting the days to 100 day by using stickers placed on 10 10-frames glued to a piece of bristol board. We counted by ones until we reached 50 and now we either count by 10's or 5's each day as we near 100 (we're at 98 right now). An image of this is on the blog linked below

http://mathcoachscorner.blogspot.ca/...-routines.html
Kindre is offline   Reply With Quote

Peg2teach

have fun teaching,
Old 02-11-2013, 11:09 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #15

Jack Hartman, and I believe, HarryKindergarten have already been mentioned. Teacher Tipster (youtube) has a new one with a snowflake theme.
Peg2teach is offline   Reply With Quote

Squirl

Discovery method
Old 02-11-2013, 08:51 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #16

I try really hard to teach my kids to think about things and form their own understandings (TRY being the operative word there. Sometimes, I do get frustrated because we go over the same things a million times, but they need to figure it out so they can own it. That's my philosophy anyway.) We count by ones a lot at the start of the year. Then we try to come up with easy ways to count whatever objects we're working with. I have a hundreds chart on my calendar wall, and I will color-code the numbers based on what we are doing. If I want them to see a pattern with tens, for example, all of the numbers will be white and the tens would be red. If I want them to notice things with fives and tens, the fives and tens would be red while the rest are white. And so on. We talk about the numbers and we discuss how they are laid out on the hundred chart. They color their own hundred chart to match what we are discussing. Several of the kids start to see patterns in the numbers after a few discussions. Usually, the first thing they notice with tens is the the number in the tens place is going up by one (of course, they don't say it like that... getting them to use place value terminology was a challenge. Haha). It takes them a bit longer to "discover" that every number has a 0 in the ones place. Once they get the concept of place value, skip counting gets easier. And even better than that is when they actually start subconsciously "seeing" the numbers in their minds while they counts so they don't have to stop and think about what comes next. We do the same thing with counting by 5s, 2s, etc.

This year, most of my kids came to me knowing how to count by 5s and 10s, though. The only ones that really didn't "get it" were the ones that didn't go to Kindergarten... and even most of those caught on quickly. I have a couple that still have a little trouble, but I'm coming to the end of my bag of tricks for them... It's hard to teach two of my kids because they don't speak any English.
Squirl is offline   Reply With Quote