Help

Special Education

"The 2E Student: Damaging Myths"

>

FlyingLizard

"The 2E Student: Damaging Myths"
Old 05-01-2015, 09:49 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

Thought this might be of interest to some people here. Honestly not sure if it's better here, under Gifted & Talented, or both, but the overlap in groups is kind of the point of the article:

http://sengifted.org/archives/articl...damaging-myths

(Oh look, it's my entire childhood…boy, if I had $1 for every time someone insisted I was "too smart" to have a problem with x thing or y thing…it's not mutually exclusive stuff )

FlyingLizard is offline   Reply With Quote

Tawaki

showed it to my GATE friend..
Old 05-01-2015, 04:23 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

My friend teaches at a true GATE program. Her opinions...

She didn't care for the Jillian example. While Jillian may be bright, is she gifted? Jillian certainly needs help for social skills and who knows what else. My friend gets many many parents of Asperger children who want them in GATE. It is a smaller class, the kids aré bright, but not gifted. Her school's final determination breaks on the IQ. They had so many parents prepping for the tests, that it was ridiculous.

Half her class is what she terms the PITAs (she loves her kinds, PITA is what everyone else thinks of them). The kids have severe ADHD, ODD, Asperger with nil social skills but a 150 IQ. She said no one would probably chirp if Jillian was placed in a GATE for convenience. Jillian isn't raising a bunch of hell. Jilliana sounds pleasant.

A better example is her ODD kid with the 145 IQ, who has no issue going toe to toe with a peer or Obama. Those are the kids that if your GATE class is just load with high achievers (more or less an accelerated class, not a true GATE), you will loose your mind.

My nephew is in GATE and has Aspergers. He has no social skills and no mouth filter. He was booted from one GATE program because of the Aspergers. It wasn't a good fit. The program was full of very very hard working bright kids. Not gifted. Gifted does not mean quiet and compliant! Lol.. The school had a similar view point of the myths. My nephew was lazy, and his parents catered to him.

His new school keeps him on the straight and narrow. He gets help for his social skills and speech therapy. He gets challenged.

The article is good, just needed a better example than the Autistic girl teen.
Tawaki is offline   Reply With Quote