Help

Special Education

"Potential Harmful Effect" in LRE section of IEPs

>

Haley23

"Potential Harmful Effect" in LRE section of IEPs
Old 05-07-2017, 02:17 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

I feel like this is a dumb question, but can someone help me out with this? My state has now decided that SPED directors will "self-audit" IEPs and one of mine was pulled. My director said I had to fix the LRE section because I didn't describe the "potentional harmful effect."

I've been teaching SPED for 6 years and have never heard of this . All of my kids are in the "At least 80% in gen ed" placement, which is the least restrictive choice. Am I supposed to be saying the potential harmful effect of them being in the 80-100% placement vs. the 40-79% placement, or the potential harmful effect of them being pulled out some vs. being in 100% full inclusion (100% full inclusion isn't an official placement choice)?

I usually say something like, "This placement best meets Johnny's needs because it will allow him to the spend the majority of his day in his general education classroom with general education peers while also allowing him to receive some specialized instruction outside of the general education classroom where instruction can be tailored to his individual needs to address specific skill deficits." Knowing that my district is pushing 100% inclusion and I typically still pull my kids out some, sometimes I'll add something like, "Johnny is currently working on below grade level skills that are no longer being taught in general education at x grade, so it would not meet his needs for him to spend 100% of his day within the general education classroom with support with grade level curriculum only." Can someone give me an example of what I would need to add to this to explain "potential harmful effect?"

I feel like any IEP I've ever gotten from anywhere else usually says even less than what I put, typically just something like, "The team has determined that this placement best meets Johnny's needs at this time." I'd like to have some more background info so I don't go into work sounding like an idiot tomorrow .

Haley23 is online now   Reply With Quote

teabreak

LRE effect
Old 05-07-2017, 03:24 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

If I were you, I would ask to see an example of what they are looking for. Our IEP states that we have discussed any negative effect an IEP will have (student not processing at the same rate as peers, not being able to fully access the grade level standards etc....) but your description sounds good to me.
teabreak is offline   Reply With Quote

Haley23

Old 05-07-2017, 03:29 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

Thanks. If I can get around it, I don't want to admit to the director that I don't know what it is, one because that's embarrassing/would make me look bad and two because I'm afraid she'll make me amend every IEP to include this if she realizes I've never done this. I have 30 students and our amendment paperwork is a lot of work. If I can't figure it out on my own, then I guess I'll have to ask for an example.

GraceKrispy

Old 05-07-2017, 05:07 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

I'm not sure I've ever seen that on an IEP, either!

I did google it because I was curious, and found this link that was really helpful (and may provide you with some wording to use): https://poway.instructure.com/course...ownload?wrap=1

*fyi, it's a pdf
GraceKrispy is online now   Reply With Quote

Lottalove

Ours isn't stated the same as it
Old 05-07-2017, 05:07 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

says "the student will not participate 100% in the general education curriculum. Describe below why full participation in regular education is not appropriate" instead of "potential harmful effects." But it means the same thing...

We have a drop down listing with many choices. We just select the ones that are most appropriate. Of course, students in self contained have more chosen that those in placements with more gen ed.

Some examples,

The amount of individual attention required disrupts teacher's ability to provide quality instruction to others.
Increased regular classroom participation may have harmful effect on student or on the quality of services that student needs.
Increased regular classroom participation would increase student frustration.
Requires highly structured, small-group setting, and individualized instruction
Requires intensive individualized instruction
Student exhibits disruptive behavior which when exhibited in a regular classroom, would have a negative effect on the education of the other students.
Student lacks adaptive/behavior skills required for increased regular classroom participation.
Student lacks social/behavior skills required for increased regular classroom participation.
Student's diverse learning styles require alternative instructional environment.

I wouldn't list all of these for a student in resource or a partial day placement only. I would pick a few of the lesser intense ones in that case.

Lottalove is offline   Reply With Quote

momteachsis

Ours is worded that way
Old 05-08-2017, 03:17 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

We have to describe the potential harmful effects. Ours is boxes to check off that include limited exposure to the general education curriculum, reduced amount of time with peers without disabilities, lack of socialization with grade level peers, stigmatization and a few more I can't remember right now. We always have to list the potential harmful effects, then say that we feel that even though there are some negative effects, the benefits of having the students educated on their own level, in a smaller setting, outweighs any potential harmful effects.
momteachsis is offline   Reply With Quote

needsadvice

IEP help
Old 05-08-2017, 04:26 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #7

On our IEP's it is written for us and we choose. Here are the choices:
Possible harmful effect of General Ed. class with or without supplemental aids & services, is that student may not be given sufficient support to maintain progress on grade level standards.

Possible harmful effect of General Ed. class with related services or consultation/collaboration with special ed. staff, is that student may miss instruction in the general education setting for one or more sessions/periods.

Possible harmful effect of General Ed. class with SAI in class as a push in/inclusion model, is that student may not be given sufficient specialized instruction to meet IEP goals.

Possible harmful effect of separate classroom with SAI for majority of day with or without utilizing alternate curriculum, is that student may have limited opportunities for instruction and socialization in the general setting with non-disabled peers.

Possible harmful effect of State special school, nonpublic school/agency, home/hospital, is that student will only be with disabled peers during the day and will not benefit from the academic setting and collaboration with non-disabled peers.

Hope this helps.
needsadvice is offline   Reply With Quote

Haley23

Old 05-08-2017, 09:06 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #8

Thanks everyone! Our school psych emailed the director back, told her she thought it did make sense as written, and asked her what else she wanted us to add. The director said she reread it and on second look she thought it looked fine. My guess is she didn't really know how to word it either as I have never seen a single IEP that has had this in my area . However, I am going to start using some of these phrases in future IEPs just to cover myself, so thank you for the suggestions!

FLteachESE

Old 05-11-2017, 01:31 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #9

Interesting, again, the differences between states. Our IEPs LRE does not need to address those issues. BUT we have an area where we write the goals and present level of performance where it asks how does the childs disability affect their ability to perform in a gen ed classroom and that is where we write why.
FLteachESE is offline   Reply With Quote

triedandtrue

How's it going, Haley?
Old 05-19-2017, 08:15 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #10

I thought your response to that question was perfect.

We always said something like this:

No harmful effects are anticipated by placement in the pull out/inclusion special education settings.

Hang in there!

triedandtrue is offline   Reply With Quote

peanut21

Ive
Old 05-28-2017, 06:49 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #11

Taught in 2 different states and we always have to put in harmful effects. We can't say there are none.
peanut21 is offline   Reply With Quote