Help

BusyBoard

Wonders and Mentor Sentences

>

Teacherbee_4

Wonders and Mentor Sentences
Old 07-08-2019, 01:34 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

My new school uses Wonders as their literacy curriculum. It sounds like they use the grammar component that comes with it, too.

I love using Jivey's Mentor sentences in the classroom. Do you think using the Wonders curriculum and Mentor sentences hand-in-hand would work? Or would it be too much? I like how the mentor sentences not only focus on grammar, but becoming a stronger writer in other ways, such as word choice (invitation to revise and imitate). My students actually love mentor sentences, especially when they get to share their revisions and imitations. I have both volumes 1 and 2. I was thinking whatever skill we are focusing on in Wonders, I could pull the mentor sentence unit/week that deals with that skill. I normally did mentor sentence during morning work. If for some reason I don't have a mentor sentence skill for the skill we are teaching in grammar, I thought I could take a break from mentor sentence that week, do a review of a skill (since the volumes have more than 1 week or unit on some particular skills), or pick a week/unit that's related to a holiday or seasonal theme or something we are studying. Thoughts? It's hard to know for sure what I will do since I need to see more about how they do things and how things work out with their schedule, curriculum expectations, etc. However, I'd like to at least have somewhat of a plan, even if it changes.

Teacherbee_4 is offline   Reply With Quote

luvmycat

Love Jiveyís stuff
Old 07-08-2019, 01:39 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

I was a huge fan of mentor sentences. I especially found them to be effective before we adopted Wonders. I purchased so many of the picture books to use them.

There was no way I could continue with the time that it took for read aloud and doing the daily MS lessons.

I found a seller on tpt who had written mentor sentences to go with the Wonders series. It was so much more manageable.
luvmycat is offline   Reply With Quote

Teacherbee_4

Thanks!
Old 07-08-2019, 01:42 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

Thanks for the input! Could you share with me the seller?

Teacherbee_4

Found it!
Old 07-08-2019, 01:44 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

Actually, I think I found it! Is it Literacy Garden?

luvmycat

Old 07-08-2019, 02:20 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

Thatís it. It was nice to have it be relevant to the story that we were reading and didnít have to be an add on.

luvmycat is offline   Reply With Quote

Teacherbee_4

I agree...
Old 07-08-2019, 02:40 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

I agree...although I'm really going to miss the stories Jivey had!

deb603

Old 07-08-2019, 02:53 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #7

Can you explain what mentor sentences are? We use the Wonders program and I'm looking for ways to improve writing/grammar.
Thanks
deb603 is offline   Reply With Quote

Teacherbee_4

Mentor Sentences are Awesome!
Old 07-08-2019, 03:13 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #8

So Ideas by Jivey is a product on TPT that I used originally for Mentor sentences! It's fabulous...pricey, but fabulous. She has free webinars out as well. Basically, mentor sentence are kind of like DOL, but instead of focusing on what's wrong with the sentence, it focuses on what's right!

It looks like this!

Each week-long "unit" has a picture book and a grammar/language skill (commas in a series, proper nouns, subjects, predicates, similes, etc.).

On Monday, the students get a copy of the sentence. I have mine glue it in their mentor sentence notebook. They brainstorm and write down what they noticed about the sentence. I make mine at least try to explain WHY, well. As an example, "There's a period at the end" is something they noticed. I'll ask why and they'll say it's a declarative sentence or it's a complete sentence, etc. We discuss these in the class together, and I also try to guide them with questioning to pointing out the teaching point for the week.

On Tuesday, I have my students recopy the sentence skipping lines and label the parts of speech. They don't do very well with this at the beginning of the year, I'll admit, but by the end of the year, WOW! They are pros! It's absolutely amazing watching it unfold before your eyes! I have them do it one color and then when we go over it, they use another color. That way, they can correct what they got wrong and add what they didn't get at all, but I can still see their thoughts. It also holds them a little more accountable for at least trying on their own.

Wednesday is called "Invitation to Revise". We discuss that revising makes the sentence "Sound better". The students have to rewrite the sentence, not changing the meaning, but making it sound better. They have a blast with this! They really get better at using stronger word choices. It builds their vocabulary too! As they revise, I walk around and "approve" them when they finish. As I "approve", I think of 3 that I like. Sometimes they are best. Sometimes they are just unique or used some strategy I wanted to pointed out. I announce the 3 who I chose and give them each a sentence strip to recopy their sentence onto. As they recopy, I call on other volunteers to share their sentence revision and we talk about them. Then, the students chosen share. In the end, I hang them up until the next week when we do it again! They LOVE LOVE LOVE this!

Thursday is similar, but it's a little harder and called "Invitation to Imitate". I use the same procedure as revision, but in this case, they imitate the sentence. They create a new sentence, keeping the same structure and including the teaching point, but changing the meaning. They LOVE LOVE LOVE this, too! They have so much fun creating sentences about themselves, their siblings, me, etc. Again I walk around and select 3 to copy on sentence strips and post.

On Friday, they have a quiz on the topic. Jivey's product (as does the one with Wonders) includes the quiz. It's a brief quiz, usually 7-12 questions. It assesses proofreading (editing) and the mentor sentence skill.

Jivey's product (and I believe the Wonders product we were talking about) has activities/flipbooks/interactive notebook tools to teach the teaching point. I obviously teach the teaching point before Friday, but when in the week usually depends on my schedule. Since the sentences are based on a book, we read the story together, too. It's nice to do it before they have to revise and imitate, so they have more background on the sentence. Jivey's product also has reading activities to go with the book that you can use. I use them sometimes.

I've seen a huge amount of growth in my students, both in grammar and in writing fluency/skill. I would highly recommend it. Even if you don't use Jivey's product, her website and webinars will be very helpful. I would encourage it. The books she chooses are beautiful, too! They are very high quality picture books. There are some great messages, and many are good for teaching character education as well.

deb603

Old 07-09-2019, 01:18 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #9

Wow!! Thanks for all the information! I am intrigued now
deb603 is offline   Reply With Quote

Teacherbee_4

Your welcome!
Old 07-09-2019, 03:00 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #10

Your welcome! I hope you find them useful! They are fun and enjoyable, not to mention very beneficial for student learning!