Help

BusyBoard

Best reading program

>

Riding4Him

Best reading program
Old 07-15-2019, 01:10 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

I spent the last two days at a Daily 5/CAFE conference given by one of the authors. I see some of the benefits of the program but I have some concerns too. I am going to a new district. We will be adopting a new program called C.I.A. approach to reading in which the training occurs in August but was encouraged to go to the Daily 5/Cafe training as I was told many of the teachers in this district use it. Looking ahead I don't believe the two programs will work together. I am not opposed to student choice and totally love the idea of getting kids to fall in love with reading but seeing video of 3rd graders choosing picture books and asking how to teach to ELA standards and being told that students need to choose what they want to read puzzles me. What reading program do you think is best and has anyone had experience with either program mentioned above? Thanks

Riding4Him is offline   Reply With Quote

GreyhoundGirl

Old 07-15-2019, 01:23 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

Please understand Daily 5 isnít a program itís more of a management tool. Iíve used Daily 5 for years in conjunction with various boxed programs. I used Daily 5 with my guided reading and I use the boxed program with my whole group instruction.
GreyhoundGirl is offline   Reply With Quote

Overlightnes

Old 07-15-2019, 01:50 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

I think a Guided Reading approach is best. Students need time to work on above level text in guided groups. This allows the teacher to help students attain new levels. It also lets the students work on discussion skills with their peers. The novels/books selected should be based on based on many factors; student interest being one of them.

I don't have any use for a program that is scripted or basal based.
Overlightnes is offline   Reply With Quote

Teacherbee_4

Daily 5 Concerns
Old 07-15-2019, 02:07 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

I don't anything about C.I.A. I've never heard of it.

However, I can understand your concern/hesitation with Daily 5. I think many of us have tweaked Daily 5 to address some of these concerns.

Examples:

*I know very few teachers who let the students pick their rotations. I know some do, but they say by the end of the week, you have to hit this rotation X amount of times, this X amount of times, etc. Other teachers assign based on their own schedule/rotation. There are many ways to do it.

*In terms of a 3rd grader choosing picture books, you don't know the level of the student. The picture could be at that student's level. Also, just because the book is a picture book doesn't mean it's a low reading level. Some picture books are levels L, M, N, etc. However, if this concerns you, you can always have a rule that says you can only read fiction chapter books during Daily 5 and then at other times in the day they can read non-fiction books, picture books, etc. Or in read to self they can only read chapter books and for read to someone, they can do picture books if they want.

*I personally don't consider Daily 5/CAFE a stand-alone curriculum. CAFE can be taught in addition to your whole group packaged curriculum and Daily 5 tasks can be what your students are doing when you are meeting with guided reading groups.

*Personally, I'm a fan of a reading program that keeps the whole group part short and effective in order to allow valuable time to meet with small groups at their level.
Teacherbee_4 is offline   Reply With Quote

WGReading

Old 07-15-2019, 04:10 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

I'm familiar with CIA. The teachers I know who have used it love it, and my kids both went to a school that used CIA for 3rd-5th grade.
The best thing about it, IMO, is that it uses quality, authentic literature. There is good focus on vocabulary, applying comprehension strategies and developing academic discussion. The kids also learn how to take notes as part of the program. Kids learn about defining characteristics of different genres and then find those characteristics within the text they are reading. The main piece is a whole group class read aloud novel. There are also "book club" selections that are related to the whole group novel (connected by genre and theme) and are differentiated, so that you could also have differentiated small groups. In the school my kids go to, they do the whole class novel and then when it finishes, they have a few weeks of the differentiated small group novels and have book clubs before moving on to the next theme/genre/novel.

In my district, we have an adopted curriculum (Journeys) and in our building during our differentiated reading groups, the 3rd-5th grade above level groups use CIA. We only use the read aloud (whole group) component because of the time allotted. The teachers that use it love it and our other teachers wish they could use it too.

I don't know what grade level you teach, but in terms of a complete reading program, this is missing any kind of foundational reading instruction (phonemic awareness, phonics, etc). If you are in a grade level where students are still learning to read, or if you have students who are below grade level and need remediated instruction in foundational reading, you are going to need another resource.

ETA - The CIA I am familiar with is a 3rd-6th program (6th grade added this past school year) and the info is at readsidebyside.com -- I just saw on your user info that you teach 2nd. So maybe I know a different CIA than the one you are talking about. Or maybe you aren't in 2nd anymore?

WGReading is offline   Reply With Quote

Teacherbee_4

Wow!
Old 07-15-2019, 04:41 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

WGReading-I read your post and was intrigued. I went to the website and I looked around. I LOVE LOVE LOVE the book titles! Now I want to learn even more. I know my new school has 1 or 2 more years of this reading program and then will adapt a new one. I may have suggest this when the time comes for 3rd and up.
Teacherbee_4 is offline   Reply With Quote

Riding4Him

Awesome!
Old 07-15-2019, 08:39 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #7

Thanks for the information WGReading. Yes, I do need to update my profile! I'm now teaching 3rd grade. The district I'm moving to is adopting C.I.A. for the 3rd-6th graders. I understand that the primary kids use Saxon phonics so we will see what the kids come in with. I like the idea of authentic literature. I came from a school that had basel readers but I broke kids up and worked with where they were at. I also had the kids work on chapter books in-between the readers in groups like book clubs so this sounds like it is down my alley.
Riding4Him is offline   Reply With Quote

UVAgrl928

Old 07-15-2019, 08:52 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #8

I agree with most of the above.

Again, Daily 5 is more about centers during workshop time so you can work with small groups.

No program is going to be a 100% fit for you and your students. You will need to make it work for you.

I just finished my 11th year (having taught 2nd/3rd grade), and I’ve never used a program. I’m with Overlightnes- guided reading instruction is at the foreground of my reading block. I do very little whole group. My lessons are based off Jan Richardson’s guided reading framework.
UVAgrl928 is online now   Reply With Quote