Help

BusyBoard

Classroom Choice

>

Teacher_twins

Classroom Choice
Old 07-18-2019, 03:41 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

How much say do you have in what classroom you are in?

I saw a vlogger on YouTube who was saying she chose to move her classroom. I have never heard of this, I have always been told "here's your room and your keys", we never get to ask to change rooms unless we were switching grades.

Teacher_twins is offline   Reply With Quote

twinmom95

Old 07-18-2019, 04:04 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

When someone leaves a grade level occasionally someone from the same grade level will request to move into that room ( bigger, away from busy hall copier, more windows, etc) doesn't happen often as it's a big job to move !

I did it once in 30 years.
twinmom95 is offline   Reply With Quote

Teacherbee_4

Ask...
Old 07-18-2019, 04:05 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

In the places I work, we can ask, but that doesn't guarantee anything. You can also be told to as well.
Teacherbee_4 is offline   Reply With Quote

MayCee

Classroom
Old 07-18-2019, 06:30 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

This will be my 14th year teaching and my 11th classroom. Most of the moves were not by choice, grade level moving hallways, grade changes, moving schools, etc. I told my principal I would really like to stay in my room forever. It’s for a great closet and lots of cabinets. It’s in a hallway that is tucked out of the way, and no one bothers me or the other classroom down that hallway.
MayCee is offline   Reply With Quote

prechrswife

Old 07-18-2019, 06:34 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

Generally, we donít get a lot of input, but I was given the option to move to a larger room for this year. I actually declined because I painted my classroom last year, and my current room has great built-in storage.

prechrswife is offline   Reply With Quote

UVAgrl928

Old 07-18-2019, 06:44 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

One year I volunteered to move rooms because of a space issue- they needed to add a section, and didnít want to put a new teacher away from the team. It was the music room, so it was set up differently. Every year after that, teachers were trying to fight to take that room from me- did I mention it was the biggest room in the school? 😉 Then as I was leaving, the grade level was excited because they thought they were gonna get that room, and even started moving their stuff into it! The last day of school the P went off on them and told them they were all being moved to trailers- karma is a b*tch sometimes!

At my last school, I got moved grade levels and had to switch rooms. So I requested a specific room. The P thought about it because I had so much stuff and the other room was much, much smaller (had been used for ESOL pull out). Ultimately, I got stuck with the small room because it was on a separate hall from the grade level, and she knew I knew what I was doing and could function separate from the team- she was afraid the new teacher would need more support. Now that Iím moving again, and theyíve hired a whole brand new team, the new girls are all asking to not be in that room because itís so small. The guy on my team said to them ďHonestly, UVAgrl has the most stuff Iíve ever seen, and she made it work- youíll be okĒ.
UVAgrl928 is offline   Reply With Quote

Sbkangas5

Old 07-18-2019, 08:07 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #7

If someone moves out of the grade level, existing teachers can ask to move into their room (and are usually granted it). We don't have halls or floors or anything where suddenly whole grades are moved, nor is anybody made to move rooms just because.
Sbkangas5 is offline   Reply With Quote

Ima Teacher

Old 07-18-2019, 08:33 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #8

I kind of got to pick my room now. When I was told I was moving to 8th grade, I was asked what would make the move easier. I asked if I could have an end room with a big closet.

Iíd been in my other room for 17 years. The principal had put off telling me I was moving until last. Iíd already figured out I was moving. He thought Iíd freak. I love my room and 8th grade. He was so relieved when he asked me how it was going and I told him I loved it.

It just happened that massive moves were happening that year. Usually there arenít that many options for moving.
Ima Teacher is offline   Reply With Quote

Linda/OH

occasionally
Old 07-19-2019, 02:19 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #9

It happens occasionally when we downsize a grade level. Some of our classrooms are a better layout or closer to a restroom or copy machine than others.We have had a couple teacher choose a better room. I never have-too much too move and organize.
Linda/OH is offline   Reply With Quote

Becca4

Classroom
Old 07-19-2019, 06:02 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #10

If a teacher moves out of your grade level then you can request to move to that room if you would like it better. Otherwise, there is no choosing at my school.

Becca4 is offline   Reply With Quote

Haley23

Old 07-19-2019, 06:41 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #11

Usually none. This past year my teammate and I were asked to choose because while my school has two sped teachers, the architects for my building only built one sped classroom . They wanted us to share, which thankfully P put a stop to. I've shared before and it was inconvenient, but doable- in a full sized classroom. This room is about 1/4 the size of a regular room, so if you had two groups going they would literally be 2 feet away from each other. P asked us to choose which one would get the sped classroom and which one would get a "flex room" in one of the upper hallways.

Teammate said she was happy to take the flex room. She said she "liked small rooms" and it was closer to her students in the intermediate wing. I certainly wasn't going to argue with her. Two days into the year teammate is crying to P about how the room doesn't work. I could sympathize if she just got stuck there, but that's what she said she wanted! Thankfully we lost one section of a grade level and there ended up being a regular room for her to take over.
Haley23 is offline   Reply With Quote

Kinderkr4zy

Old 07-19-2019, 06:56 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #12

We get basically zero say-they have all classroom for a grade level grouped together and they dont want people to move away from their grade level partners if we dont have to.

When I first moved in there were 2 rooms available so I picked the one I wanted, then a few days later I went to move in and the told me that they moved another teacher up to the grade level and and let her pick her room since she had seniority and had to go through an involuntary classroom change-she picked my room and...before I ever moved in I was moved out and into the left over room. It is right next door to a self contained Sped class that is very load with verbal stims, screaming, ect-and there is a lot of banging on the wall. It would have been nice to get the quieter room that had more convenient wall space but as the newbie you get what you get. .
Kinderkr4zy is offline   Reply With Quote