Help

BusyBoard

Pets in the classroom

>

KT_203

Pets in the classroom
Old 07-19-2019, 06:55 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

Has anyone ever gotten a classroom pet through this grant?

https://www.petsintheclassroom.org/c...classroom-pet/

Any stories or info to share? Pros? Cons? Things I should think about??

KT_203 is offline   Reply With Quote

angelajw

Pets
Old 07-19-2019, 07:44 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

I want to do this! I am in a FB Science teacher group and there are quite a few teachers who have done this. It is very successful. You buy, they reimburse you. I just don't want a smelly animal and I don't want to have to take it home during breaks. I'm thinking..FISH
angelajw is offline   Reply With Quote

Zia

Old 07-19-2019, 09:47 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

I don't do anything with grants, but we do vermicomposting, so my kids say they have 200+ classroom pets! And, in the spring, we watch painted lady caterpillars metamorphose. All super cheap.
Zia is offline   Reply With Quote

NoElephants

Old 07-19-2019, 10:06 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

I got our class bearded dragon Godzilla through this grant. It allowed me to get everything to start up and I had my class complete a research project before he arrived so they would know how to properly care for him.

There are several pets to choose from with the grant and the following year you can apply for another grant for upkeep. I will say that the grant is only to get you started, but I asked my class for donations to pay for his food throughout the year.
Attachment

Sign in to view attachment. Not a member? Sign Up FREE
NoElephants is offline   Reply With Quote

Sbkangas5

Old 07-19-2019, 10:22 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

It's super easy! I've done it a couple of times. Sometimes, though, the cages you get aren't big enough for the full sized critter, so you need to be careful on what you choose.

Sbkangas5 is offline   Reply With Quote

UVAgrl928

Old 07-19-2019, 10:29 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

So we have to jump through hoops to get a classroom pet. This year my next door neighbor did it, and we both hated it 😂 She has hamsters, and I swear they were on Speed lol. Anytime the kids werenít there, I could hear them running on that wheel. Sometimes while they were testing they would be doing that as well.

If she was out unexpectedly, she needed to make sure someone checked on them. We had a snowstorm one weekend, which extended the weekend because of days off- she had to arrange a time with the P to go pick them up so they didnít die.

She has said she will never do them again. And it just confirmed for me I wonít do them either! Haha
UVAgrl928 is offline   Reply With Quote

kahluablast

Old 07-19-2019, 11:25 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #7

I have fish. I will say that using the grant you can only purchase from specific pet places that can often be more expensive than other options. I did not buy my tank and stuff using the grant because it was much more expensive than my local thrift store... However, I do apply yearly for the upkeep grant, which I have used to purchase fish food, additional plants or fish, or replace a filter or thermometer.
kahluablast is online now   Reply With Quote

dutchgirl

Old 07-19-2019, 11:48 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #8

We are not allowed to have any animals due to insurance. Apparently, a kid got scratched by a cat and the parents sued.

Before that happened, the school where I taught had a teacher with two well trained therapy dogs. Everyone loved them! But then other teachers started taking their dogs to school, and it got really crazy. It was not uncommon to find dog poop in the hall from the non-therapy dogs. Seriously.
So while I wish we could have therapy animals, I'm glad not to have dog poop in the hall. On rare occasion, there's been kid poop, but that's a different problem! Yes, it even happens in middle school.
dutchgirl is offline   Reply With Quote

AuntKK

Bearded Dragon
Old 07-19-2019, 12:46 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #9

I got my bearded dragon using this grant. They sent me coupons that were good for half off the animal and totally paid for everything else. I think, my very large aquarium, lights, food etc. would have cost me around 300 dollars. I ended up paying about 30 dollars total. (I waited until the bearded dragons were on sale for 60 and the coupon took half off of that)
AuntKK is offline   Reply With Quote

MayCee

Pets
Old 07-19-2019, 03:41 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #10

I got a Robhamster with my Pets in the Classroom grant. My students love her. Sheís tiny, so the cage that comes with the grant is perfect. She is currently at my house, but I can put food in for her and she doesnít need to be fed for 2 weeks. Itís nice because I can leave her at school over breaks and just pop in once a week to check on her.

The does love to run on her wheel- all day long. There were times I took her wheel down because she was so loud. My students took turns cleaning her cage, feeding her, and putting her in her ball to roam around the classroom.

Attachment

Sign in to view attachment. Not a member? Sign Up FREE
MayCee is offline   Reply With Quote

sonoma

Old 07-19-2019, 04:21 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #11

Pets are not allowed at our school since a bratty kid poked and tormented the library rat until it bit him
sonoma is offline   Reply With Quote

Kinderkr4zy

Old 07-19-2019, 06:47 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #12

Quote:
It's super easy! I've done it a couple of times. Sometimes, though, the cages you get aren't big enough for the full sized critter, so you need to be careful on what you choose.
This was my only issue-I got glofish which are genetically modified fish that glow neon colors under a black light. They provided a coupon for a free 10 gallon tank starter kit which included an electric filter and heater and lights and they gave me a coupon for free fish food and 30% off the fish. I had to buy biobac to get the carbon cycle started and dechlorinator and rocks, a rock vac to clean the tank with and replacement filters for filter changes-I also got a couple of live plants because I was using it to talk about ecosystems and introduce producers, consumers, and decomposers and a few black light fake plants so that it looked good. I spent about 100 bucks what they covered was about 70 bucks)-I had no idea fish were so expensive.

But glofish are created from blackskirt tetras which are schooling fish-thus they need to live in groups of 5 or more or they fight which I knew because I read up on them before doing the grant. So I got 5 glofish but 5 fish in a 10 gallon tank is pushing it so I had to clean the tank and do partial water changes ALL THE TIME to keep the tank from mucking up. With a bigger tank this would have been a non-issue but as it was I had to spend A LOT of time cleaning the tank-time that would be better spent lesson planning, grading, prepping or at home with my son.

I also ended up buying an automatic feeder for school breaks and weekends. I didnt have to worry about them if I was out for a day or 2 though because healthy fish can easily go without food for a day or two without ill effects-so atleast that was easy

The fish lived all year and I re-homed them at the end of the year (I emailed parents and asked if anyone wanted to keep our class fish) but I kept the tank. I plan to try again this year with that same 10 gallon tank but with 1 or 2 guppies instead. The tiny tank you get cant handle a whole school of fish.
Kinderkr4zy is offline   Reply With Quote

Ima Teacher

Old 07-19-2019, 06:56 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #13

My BFF got an aquarium for her classroom.
Ima Teacher is offline   Reply With Quote

Marrywther

Aquarium
Old 07-20-2019, 08:56 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #14

I did this a few years ago and I got an aquarium for my class. I got coupons for everything I needed and went shopping. It was super simple and easy to do.
Marrywther is offline   Reply With Quote