Help

The VENT

Not sure what to do....

>

iloveglitter2

Not sure what to do....
Old 11-25-2019, 01:41 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

So, I have some decisions to make. I am really not sure what to do and would love input.

So, I am an experienced teacher and I really am unhappy in the school I am in. I am teaching my dream grade (first). My admin is downright cruel and gossips about us. I have reached the point where I am okay with switching schools and relocating mid year. I am for sure laid off for the next school year so I have to find a job.

I have active applications in two different states. I have a guy friend. Our relationship is strained right now (mainly because I have been so stressed!) My guy friend is from one of the states (PA) but is currently working in the other (VA). His home state is hard to get a teaching job in.

I had decided to go with PA for me. I really love the area and the housing is much more reasonable than the area in VA. However, the schools aren't as good.

I was invited for a final stage interview for a school in VA. For 3rd grade. I taught 3rd grade before and it wasn't my favorite. This school seems to be really nice and in a really nice area. Drawbacks are I am not finding an apartment that genuinely fits my needs and my budget. My biggest reason for going to this area is because my guy is currently teaching there (different school). If things would not work out for us I'd be there along and in a city I am not sure I'd genuinely be happy with.

On the other hand I have an application for a Kindergarten job in PA. The school is not making a decision until mid to late December. The school is a bit of a rough school. Very low test scores. But, after reading the Principals page and stalking the school online, I think the school seems really nice. Housing is much more affordable there. My dream is to buy soon and buying would be affordable there (not in the other place). I also have a 2nd cousin in this same city as well as a friend I have met from my guy. There are a lot of outside of school activities I think I'd love in this city. I do not see near as many opportunities in the city in VA (I am an outdoorsy girl). Downside is my guy may or may not come back there. Also, location of school would put me driving through some rough rush hour traffic.

Typing this has actually made it more clear to me. But, seriously what would you do? It is November so I still have time? My heart wants to say hold out for the Kindergarten job and if it is a plop see what opens down the road. But then my "What if" brain says I need to run and get something fast.

I want to get out of my current area. 4 layoffs in 4 years is enough for me. I also do not agree with the direction things are going. One year I did not get a job until a day before school started. That was after teaching two years. So, I am paranoid. I also don't want to move to a really pricy city if the guy I care about and I don't work out.

Help!

iloveglitter2 is offline   Reply With Quote

klarabelle

Old 11-25-2019, 04:32 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

I would wait for the PA time table since you do have a position. I have no reason for thinking this, just I live & worked in PA.
klarabelle is offline   Reply With Quote

rusty

Old 11-25-2019, 05:28 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

My vote would be for PA....especially since you said you thought there were things that would make you love that city. I hope it all works out for you and you get both the job and the man!!
rusty is online now   Reply With Quote

UVAgrl928

Old 11-25-2019, 06:29 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

I wouldnít close yourself off to either option- you havenít been offered either job yet, correct?

You sound like youíre pretty decided on PA 😜 Iím in Northern VA, which Iím guessing is where this school is. Youíre right- PA is very difficult to land a job. Every school Iíve worked at in VA has a large chunk of teachers from PA because they canít get a job there.

Northern VA can be very isolating for people new to the area. Everyone works long hours, sits in traffic their whole lives, and honestly donít tend to be the friendliest. Youíre also right about outside of school activities (unless you have children- but then you get into trying to outdo the other parents). Like you said, itís also very expensive- be weary of any ďgood dealĒ you find. But, there are tons of jobs here!

Where do you currently live? Honestly, I wouldnít move for him without a commitment.
UVAgrl928 is offline   Reply With Quote

mhugs

quick question
Old 11-25-2019, 06:51 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

Is your certification accepted in both states? J

mhugs is online now   Reply With Quote

Keltikmom

PA vs Va
Old 11-25-2019, 07:44 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

Hold out for PA.
Keltikmom is offline   Reply With Quote

iloveglitter2

Old 11-25-2019, 08:44 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #7

I am certified in VA, PA, and WV. I graduated in VA.

seenthelight

Old 11-25-2019, 08:53 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #8

I ma be the hold out. Iíd take VA. Youíre job is not secure right now, and it sounds like the VA position is more likely to be offered.

A job in a high cost of living area is better than no job in a lower cost of living, but that's just me, and I tend toward the most practical decision.
seenthelight is online now   Reply With Quote

iloveglitter2

Old 11-25-2019, 08:54 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #9

Yes, northern, VA. My guy friend seems happy there but I sense an unspoken level of stress lately. I am sure it is a nice place and all, but it just didn't feel like home at all to me! I know the schools there are top notch but I am not sure I'd enjoy being in such a congested and different area.

PA is so weird. It is very hard to get in but then sometimes it is surprising who gets in.

Neither job has officially offered me anything yet. I have hope for the PA one. But, I think now that if I took the VA one, it would just be to be near my guy, not for me. And like you said, I need a strong commitment before making a drastic move.