Help

The VENT

Behavior chart/other kids joining in

>

Loveandmercy

Behavior chart/other kids joining in
Old 12-09-2019, 05:11 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

Oh my gosh. I am struggling with a student who all day long berates me under his breath, protests what I ask the class to do something, says assignment is dumb, says school is boring, says he hates school. Had a meeting with parents last week. They are bewildered. Chlld is hijacking my classroom, which was previously well behaved. I am a seasoned teacher but I have never seen anything like this child. One day sweet and hardworking, next insults me, mean lingering looks, sometimes shouts at me in class. TOmorrow school counselor will meet with him again. He is going for outside help but man today he shut down instruction almost entirely. I have a new behavior chart for tomorrow all based on positive points for positive behavior. Gets a reward when him earns all the points.
We will see. I try very hard to keep it detached but positive.
Question: Any suggestions about how to steer four boys away from this one student? He is massively manipulative so he is "campaigning" against me and turning kids against me. ABout 4 boys are smiling now when this one child starts up. Acting disrespectfully towards me. What a day...thank you for listening..

Loveandmercy is offline   Reply With Quote

momteachsis

Some suggestions
Old 12-09-2019, 05:45 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

You need to make the good behavior for the other kids a more positive experience than the thrill they're getting from siding with the kid causing trouble.
I teach in Special Ed, but we're taught to ignore the wrong behavior and reward the positive for many of the problem behaviors. What is more effective in most cases lately is rewarding the kids that are doing the correct things, while the other student gets nothing.
Johnny's muttering under his breath, then everyone sitting quietly following directions gets a mini M&M or baby goldfish. Johnny's making kids laugh, then the kids listening quietly get a sticker (or whatever reward works for your class). Make sure you catch him being good so you can reward him too. He needs to feel that doing the correct thing has a better payoff than doing the wrong thing. Make sure the reward on his behavior chart is also frequent enough, not making him wait until the end of the day.
I didn't look to see what grade, but hopefully these suggestions may help.
momteachsis is offline   Reply With Quote

hand

Old 12-09-2019, 07:15 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

Quote:
. I have a new behavior chart for tomorrow all based on positive points for positive behavior. Gets a reward when him earns all the points.
I think that you need to give more frequent rewards. I would break the day into 4 parts (8am-10, 10am-12, etc.) and focus on two or three behaviors. Example: I use a quiet voice. I complete my assignment without complaining. Start with a reward for earning half the points. Then when that is easy, up the number of points to receive a reward. The rewards need to be easy to fulfill. Example: ten minutes of choice on the iPad, sit by a friend for the next period, etc. Good luck.
hand is online now   Reply With Quote

Izzy23

Old 12-09-2019, 07:33 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

I had the same situation with a kid in my classroom last year. When we realized he was turning some kids against the teachers, we quietly pulled those kids aside and asked for their help. If we saw them ignoring the behavior and doing what was expected of them, then they earned a reward at the end of the day. (I think we gave out full-size candy bars.)

I also did weekly lessons on social/emotional, which included making a chart of behaviors we all agreed on. One of them was "Ignore negative behavior." If the kid started up again, I would point to that rule or just say in a very neutral voice, "thank you for ignoring negative behavior" to the whole class.

I also made sure to have really, really positive relationships with the other kids - playing with them at recess or hosting lunch bunches, so that all my attention did not go to the one disrespectful kid. (This was obviously in addition to all the supports we had in place for disrespectful kid.)

It was a really tough year for me and that kid was a bully of the highest order. I got through it, though, and so will you! Good luck!
Izzy23 is offline   Reply With Quote

ZipLine

Old 12-10-2019, 05:05 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

Have you discussed individually with the 4 boys the decline in behavior you are seeing from them? Don’t ignore it. You might ask them if they would like to correct their behavior on their own or if you need to involve their parents. I can’t imagine they would want the latter.

Do you have class meetings with your kids? I’ve found having students discuss any problems makes them more intrinsically aware and responsible when it comes to their relationships with each other and their behavior. They problem solve, discuss solutions, and arrive at a consensus with teacher support. The goal is to have these meetings become student led. Topics for discussion can come from students (via a slip that they fill out and give to the teacher) and the teacher. There are definite ground rules for how meetings are conducted so that they are productive.

I had a book on holding class meetings but I don’t have it anymore (retired), but here’s an article I found on line:
https://pdfs.semanticscholar.org/19d...eae9a3ed40.pdf

A teacher I know had a way of rewarding his students that did not involve buying anything. Extra recess on Friday afternoon from points they earned over the course of the week for their work in class. The only way to earn the point is if the entire class earned it. He had his class for 2 periods a day and a homeroom study time so kids could earn up to 15 minutes a week. Peer pressure to earn those points was real and physical activity is not only healthy for the body but good for the brain. He had them at the end of the day so had them pack up and take their backpacks out for their recess right before the dismissal bell.

Honestly, I think teachers need to work on developing intrinsic motivation in their students and avoid using candy and other tangibles as rewards for expected proper behavior in class.

ZipLine is online now   Reply With Quote

Loveandmercy

Old 12-10-2019, 05:28 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

AWESOME! WILL DO! MINI M&M's! THANK YOU!

Loveandmercy

Old 12-10-2019, 05:33 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #7

Thank you so much for the support!

We tried increments (of 30 mins to evaluate) in order to give mid day reward and end of day reward. He couldn't reach that goal after two hours.

So now I have another system where I connect dots for positive behavior. After 6 positives connections he gets a privilege. It went better today. This dear boy. I hope the professionals can help him. He can be very well-behaved and respectful at times. Smart child, also.

Loveandmercy

Old 12-10-2019, 05:37 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #8

Oh thank you so much for your words of encouragement and support! I am going to take what you suggested to our school counselor. I think we should implement the candy bar thing immediately. Those boys are "on the fence" and could definitely be steered still in the right direction. THANK YOU SO MUCH!

Loveandmercy

Old 12-10-2019, 05:48 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #9

I really appreciate your words and ideas. Yes, I wholeheartedly love class meetings. One of the best was when I got a list of little student-type- scenarios and the kids shared what they felt. The stories were mostly about loneliness, being left out, being picked on, not being noticed. I was surprised at the depth of feelings that were shared. Very very worthwhile. Very unifying. And yes, love the instrinsic motivation from the kids to correct negative behavior. Only thing is last class meeting the four knuckleheads started laughing. THey pretty much took over the meeting with the goofy grinning and staring at one another. Because there is such a disturbance right now with the one out of control student I lost my bearings and wasnt sure what to do. The next day I interviewed each boy alone to question what they did and to call them on their behavior so they know I will not put up with this and that I see it clearly. I need to get over my feelings of dissappointment in these kids and move on to a solution. Many solid things have been shared with me and I am considering all that was shared. Thank you so much!

Kinderkr4zy

Old 12-10-2019, 06:55 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #10

Quote:
I had the same situation with a kid in my classroom last year. When we realized he was turning some kids against the teachers, we quietly pulled those kids aside and asked for their help. If we saw them ignoring the behavior and doing what was expected of them, then they earned a reward at the end of the day. (I think we gave out full-size candy bars.)

I also did weekly lessons on social/emotional, which included making a chart of behaviors we all agreed on. One of them was "Ignore negative behavior." If the kid started up again, I would point to that rule or just say in a very neutral voice, "thank you for ignoring negative behavior" to the whole class.
Oh my gosh I did the exact same last year and the year before and it works like a charm. Thankfully this years kids do the opposite-one kids says, "she is the meanest teacher" and 4 others say "quit it! Your lying. Ms. K is the best teacher ever". Its nice to have a cheering section for once. Hopefully next year.

Kinderkr4zy is offline   Reply With Quote