Help

Middle School/Jr High (6-8)

Primary Sources

>

SMB

Primary Sources
Old 05-06-2010, 04:21 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

I am planning to organize a unit emphasizing primary documents for next year's history class. I teach Gr 7 and I would like to be able to establish some "hands on" activities where the students could work through this type of resource. I was wondering if anyone has organized centers, or web quests, or has any other ideas that you might like to share?

SMB is offline   Reply With Quote

parker

I've used this with my 5th graders
Old 05-07-2010, 02:59 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

You Be the Historian

http://americanhistory.si.edu/kids/springer/
parker is offline   Reply With Quote

MiddlingAZ

Primary sources
Old 05-07-2010, 10:26 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

For an introduction to primary sources, many years ago I used to do this the first week of school. I put items in a shoebox, saying it had been found by an archaeologist. I explained that objects or artifacts like this are primary sources, but historians have to draw conclusions and interpret, etc. As I pulled the items out, I told them they are historians trying to uncover facts about the person who owned these mementos. I gave one item to each pair and they had to fill in a handout with description and conclusions about the owner. After about 10-15 minutes, I listed the conclusions, then we discussed guesses and hypotheses about the owner by putting all of the clues together. The items were like a pink baby sock, a movie ticket, a photo with a date on the back, a letter, a newspaper photo, and so on. Students guessed things like the owner was a woman, had a baby girl, etc. Finally I revealed that the clues were about...ME! Then we proceeded with the lesson on primary vs. secondary sources.
MiddlingAZ is offline   Reply With Quote

SMB

Old 05-08-2010, 12:52 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

Oooh, I like your approach MiddlingAZ. Thanks for the idea. And also thanks Parker, for the website. Unfortunately, we don't have a lot of access to computers; however, I like their suggestion to print off examples and have accompanying activity cards. Sometimes the clarity of the documents are better online, but I will try to see if I can enlarge them.

Thanks to you both!
SMB is offline   Reply With Quote

MsEduc8r

Old 05-13-2010, 10:42 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

I teach English and I use primary sources as background material when we read historical novels and stories. I do a jigsaw-type activity where I break up each primary source into parts (or use several different sources) and then have each group meet with their matching source to answer questions. Then, they gather in a mixed group and share their answers to the questions and discuss the reading with their peers.

MsEduc8r is offline   Reply With Quote