Help

Books, Guided Reading & Literature

Classroom Library

>

mrsjmassey

Classroom Library
Old 04-26-2010, 10:36 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

Does anyone have any good tips on managing a classroom library efficiently for a departmentalized grade 6? I have tried several differnet strategies, but none seem efficient for making sure check-out is easy and books are returned. I've tried: put card in a your # sleeve, and write down the book you check out in a binder. Any suggestions?

mrsjmassey is offline   Reply With Quote

TeachTeach35

Old 04-29-2010, 04:50 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

I've never tried this, but just read about it the other day. Give each kid one book-size piece of cardboard with their name on it for each book they are allowed to check out. (If you let them get 3 books at a time, they need 3 pieces of cardboard.) All they do is put their cardboard in place of the book they take. Then they just put the book back when they are done and take the cardboard out.

I tried several different check-out systems when I taught 4th. It seemed like no matter how I did it, books still disappeared. I finally just had to resolve myself to the fact that maybe they needed the books worse than I did. I don't think it's possible to have a classroom library that the kids use regularly without having some book casualties of some kind along the way.
TeachTeach35 is offline   Reply With Quote

mrsjmassey

Old 04-30-2010, 10:56 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

That's a great idea! Thanks so much and I will try it next year. I agree with you on the thought pattern about kids needing books- thanks for reminding me that at least I'm putting a book in a kid's hands
mrsjmassey is offline   Reply With Quote

SMB

Old 05-06-2010, 04:45 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

I keep a clip board with a sign out sheet attached to the book shelves. Students are required to fill it out when they take a book out, and they then show me the book and I initial the sheet when it is returned. I haven't lost a book yet! "Touch Wood"
SMB is offline   Reply With Quote