Help

Educational Technology

Anyone Blogging in the Classroom?

>

SMB

Anyone Blogging in the Classroom?
Old 01-01-2011, 04:19 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

I like the idea of encouraging students to use the computer to "write" creatively and thought blogging might be worth considering. I would want the activity to be carried out within the school network though. I would be interested in hearing about your experiences and how you introduced the concept.

SMB is offline   Reply With Quote

apemak

Old 01-03-2011, 05:50 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

I use kidblog.org. It allows the students just to view each others blogs. You can choose to monitor comments to make sure they are appriopriate.

I teach computer class for grades 1-12. I use blogging basically as a beginning class activity (for mid and high), so I can take attendance and take care of other beginning of class things that I might need to.

For the middle school grades I usually give anywhere from 5-15min depending on the topic and if it pertains to class. I often choose the topic, so then it would relate to what we are doing in class or school, but I sometimes have an open topic and they can write about anything they want. If they finish they can comment on others' posts.

I have had the 3rd-5th graders blog as well, the 3rd graders are getting introduced to it and need more structure of what to do and what to type. The fourth graders basically want to do it as fast as possible. -Who ever gets done first wins something apparently but I have yet to find out what- The fifth graders are awesome at blogging. They have inserted pics that they have made and comment on others. They tend to take longer to finish their blogs, but it varies.

For the younger grades I usually give them a topic and we brainstorm what they might want to write about. Sometimes students in the older grades will say they don't know what to write about so then I will ask the class for some ideas to get their minds flowing.

Hope this helps here is a link to the 8th grade blog http://kidblog.org/LCA8th2/ - you do have to be a member to view them -
and the 5th grade blog http://kidblog.org/LCA5th/ - they have not blogged for a while because of other projects.

I hope this helps.
apemak is offline   Reply With Quote

bookworm76

Book Review
Old 02-23-2011, 04:34 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

I started a class blog about a month ago. The students are writing book reviews. Check it out & have your students respond!! My students LOVE it!!!

www.4thgraderslovereading.blogspot.com
bookworm76 is offline   Reply With Quote

fish33

Kids.Blog
Old 02-24-2011, 11:06 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

I use that too, but 2nd graders need to be reminded to use it! It was a huge hit when introduced and now it's 'old'.

Just found www.todaysmeet.com
TodaysMeet helps you embrace the backchannel and connect with your audience in realtime.
Encourage the room to use the live stream to make comments, ask questions, and use that feedback to tailor your presentation, sharpen your points, and address audience needs.

Showed kids Todaysmeet today w/ a topic called BOOKS and 6 of them chatted. They are now excited again! Very easy to use
fish33 is offline   Reply With Quote

SMB

Old 08-09-2011, 12:23 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

Sorry that I have not responded, but I have been off-line for awhile. I will try these suggesions out and give you feedback on my results. I am working with students from 6-8th grade. Thanks for your help.

SMB is offline   Reply With Quote