Help

Educational Technology

New to technology. Tech rules?

>

Tutor2555

New to technology. Tech rules?
Old 07-19-2010, 05:03 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

What rules do you have for your tech classroom? I'm brand new to the technology position, but I've been teaching for a few years. I'm looking for things that might make the classroom run smoothly and also rules to keep things safe. I'm a little concerned with having 80 questions at once. How do you handle this with little ones?

Tutor2555 is offline   Reply With Quote

bzetchr

Old 07-19-2010, 10:10 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

#1 rule - hands on your keyboard only. If you are helping a friend tell them, they do so they will learn.

#2 - no roaming around - too easy to bump into something and have it hit the floor ... this would be in a tight quarters area like a small lab. I use laptops in the classroom, and they are on student's desks - in that case they know to push it toward the top of their desk (set up in groups so there is a center) away from edges if they need to get up and move.

#3 - when I say "screens at a 45 degree angle" they know to partially pull their sereen down and eyes on me for instructions.

For questions - maybe 2 colored cups - depending on the set up - they put a red cup on top of monitor if help is needed and green or blue if they are good and working ... you could also use some sort of "flag" they could put/stand up (If you have flat screen monitors or laptops maybe figure out another way they could display the signal)

In a lab or classroom, and you can get it - SmartSync (and there are a few others out there) - basically a monitoring program loaded on all computers that lets you see what the students are doing from one station. Your computer would be the control station and it will have a thunbnail of every computer screen that is on... You can send individual or group messages out; "push out" a document, file, or website link to a few or all; "lock" everyone's computers; and even shut them down with one click - for those that are doing something they shouldn't be ... Monitoring 34 last year was SO much easier!
bzetchr is offline   Reply With Quote

SMB

Old 08-10-2010, 04:10 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

OOOOOH.....I like the SmartSync idea....this will be my first year teaching computer lab and we were discussing a room layout that would permit me to easily see what is on everyone's screen, but this is even better. Is it difficult to install and set up?
SMB is offline   Reply With Quote