Help

Educational Technology

Resources

>

EduK5

Resources
Old 08-13-2012, 12:33 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

OK PT friends, I just got hired as an Elementary Computer Teacher. I have been searching online for resources but can't find much of anything! I am looking for different things to implement in my classroom such as bulletin boards, lesson plans, iPod Apps. Does anyone know of any great websites?

Thanks everyone!

EduK5 is offline   Reply With Quote

KeyKid

Resources
Old 08-13-2012, 05:17 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

EduK5 - I sent you a PM.

I teach K-5 computer. My bulletin boards are basically posters of my daily class schedule. It changes every year and I'm constantly looking over there to figure out who comes in next.

One thing I did for wall displays, is take sections of screen shots of software we use and put it into banners in Print Shop so that I have either vertical or horizontal strips (depending on what it looks like in the software) of what the icons look like and what they are called. Those stay up all year (and all summer if I can).

We don't have iPads. Our schools are just now getting SmartBoards but I won't be getting one. Only one of my 2 labs has a ceiling mounted projector.

Ask away!
KeyKid is online now   Reply With Quote

1956BD

If I were you
Old 08-13-2012, 06:42 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

I would ask the district and your principal what specific expectations they have for your class.

I would meet with the different grade level teams and ask them what they need. Then you can search for websites that will really be helpful to them that also support the curriculum.

I would also touch base with the librarian and see how your class can support what she does with the students.

I would see if your district has a curriculum to follow for tech skills. If not get the teachers to help you start one as a works in progress. I would start with K teachers and see what they think their students can handle and then build on those skills for each additional grade level through fifth or your oldest students.

I would look for research sites that have information available at elementary grade level. For younger students you may want to find one that will reads the articles to them.

See if your different adoptions for text books have online activities as well. The teachers may need help or suggestions.

Look at math fact practice sites. Kids today are not too keen on flash cards. This is the way to help them learn their facts.

Websites like Story Line Online are great for listening to stories.

I would look for some special fun sites to use as fill in when they complete assignments in computer lab. I assume you have a lab, but maybe you travel to different classrooms. i am thinking like creating a Voki. Maybe find some fun holiday activities online as well.

Okay, that is all I can think of now.

I wish you the best. Your school is lucky to have you for tech support and computer lessons.
1956BD is online now   Reply With Quote

EduK5

Old 08-14-2012, 04:25 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

Thanks for all your help! I know the previous computer teacher was writing the curriculum. I will have to take a peek at it A.S.A.P! We have a smart board, about 31 PC Computers brand new iPads! I have some ideas, but don't know where to start. This information was very helpful!
EduK5 is offline   Reply With Quote

lynned

Old 08-16-2012, 04:49 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

I used to teach technology so I know what it is to start from stratch. When I did it there was no curriculum either. I would keep an open line of communication with teachers to find out if there is a specific skill that you can help your students with. especially with CC the test are going to be given on the computer so I would start the students with some keyboarding skills and learning the basic components of the computer just so you know where they are. Here is a great website that I found.
http://oakdome.com/k5/lesson-plans/s...sson-plans.php

lynned is offline   Reply With Quote

SMB

Old 09-02-2012, 03:53 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

This year I purchased a text called "Games Keyboarding Teachers Play", which has a lot of fun activities to keep the students motivated. If you are focusing on this skill, then I suggest you take a look at this as a viable resource. Good luck!
SMB is offline   Reply With Quote