Help

High School

Financial Literacy

>

sailor

Financial Literacy
Old 07-25-2013, 05:45 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

I am also thrilled to see high school added. I am the only teacher teaching Financial Literacy at a private school and have a very bright group of seniors and I am in need of ideas, projects or activities. I am not given the work only a guideline of what needs to be taught, not the work. I teach five other classes, we are a year round program starting in July. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
Thank you

sailor is offline   Reply With Quote

missenglish

hmmm
Old 07-25-2013, 08:36 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

I have no idea whatsoever what Financial Literacy is all about or I would totally make suggestions.

?
missenglish is offline   Reply With Quote

MrsCroak

Old 07-25-2013, 09:17 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

I did this activity for career day at my school and I wish I had more time to do it. i'll be you can expand it just using the website CACareerZone.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf Career Day2.pdf (81.6 KB, 28 views)
MrsCroak is offline   Reply With Quote

xcaped

Financial Literacy
Old 07-27-2013, 10:15 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

Creating your own curriculum is very time consuming. Try contacting local banks, saving and loan companies, credit unions , insurance companies etc, for materials. The credit bureau might have some prepared stuff also. See if they have presenters who might come and talk to your class.

I always did a car project. Pick one and buy it figuring the cost of financing, payments, insurance, gas. The kids always enjoyed it

House/apartment project- same

Budget project. I put careers in a hat and made the kids pick. There were all levels of income from a dishwasher to a cardiac surgeon. They had to research income level and then design a budget with all the necessities. The kids decided what the necessities were in addition to the obvious. It made for interesting discussion. If the kids are bright and motivated, they can research the career of their choice. Mine were not...so they picked out of a hat. I'd also do a unit on student loans if I were teaching the class again.

I taught car buying then we did the project, house buying, then project etc. The budget project was at the end of the semester. The kids presented to the class as well as turned in a power point or other visual/written assigment for each project.

Hope this is helpful
xcaped is offline   Reply With Quote

teacheratlast

Old 07-27-2013, 02:01 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

I taught a Financial Math class one year. I found a lot of great material here http://www.practicalmoneyskills.com/...ree_materials/

Have you checked your states education website. They might have a curriculum posted there.

teacheratlast is offline   Reply With Quote

sailor

Financial literacy
Old 07-27-2013, 03:06 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

Thank you all for your suggestions, i am planning for very high students and not so high. I am more concerned in challenging the brightest and i thank you very much.
sailor is offline   Reply With Quote

missenglish

Old 07-27-2013, 05:42 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #7

If it is similar to financial math, then I am sure there are some existing curriculum you can pull from. Our financial math classes focus on a lot of real word stuff, such as balancing checkbooks and budgeting.
missenglish is offline   Reply With Quote

SpecialAnne

Old 07-29-2013, 02:50 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #8

I do a little bit of financial literacy and use some of Moneyskill.com...

it is higher level but the kids do pretty good with it.
SpecialAnne is offline   Reply With Quote

puzzlemom

teacheratlast
Old 07-29-2013, 08:11 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #9

Thanks for posting that website. I teach Special Needs students and this year I am supposed to teach Economics. I just downloaded some FREE stuff that I think I can use with some of my kidddos. My students are lower functionining (special diploma) and I need ideas to meet the standards.
Thanks again.
puzzlemom is offline   Reply With Quote

alw_ays

A list of suggestions
Old 08-03-2013, 10:20 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #10

In my small business class we did a "buy/sell your business" negotiation that was fun.

Extreme couponing might be interesting

Post-market sales like Craiglist & the classifieds in the newspaper--what's a good deal & what's not

What contracts look like, and loan papers, bills, statements, invoices, etc.

Oh! and I wish someone had taught me how to do my 1040 EZ when I was a teen. And W2 forms--when you're a kid, what do you write for dependents? What does that even mean? Social security paperwork that comes when you're in your 20s and then every year--what's that all about?

Online banking & bill-pay & using mobile phones to deposit checks--all that newfangled stuff that'll probably be obsolete when the students are old enough to use them.

Somewhere I have "kits" from, like, the 90s, or maybe earlier, that's like various small businesses & related exercises, (expense reports, balancing a checkbook, collecting and paying sales tax).

alw_ays is offline   Reply With Quote
Ciera

Ciera

Online CTE Curriculum
Old 08-04-2013, 10:19 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #11

Hi. I'll be teaching Business Education this year (for the first time) and the old Dept. Head (she's not an Assistant Principal) suggested the The Texas Tech Online Curriculum to me. I'm not sure which state you live in but if you're in Texas, it aligns with the TEKS. I'm not sure how it follows Common Core, as we don't follow that in Texas.
I've proposed the idea to my Principal and I'm waiting to hear back from him in regards to using this for ALL of our CTE (Career & Technology Education) courses.
Here is the website if you'd like to check it out. http://www.depts.ttu.edu/hs/ccfcs/online_curriculum.php