Help

High School

Introductions

>

missenglish

Introductions
Old 07-25-2013, 03:41 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

I thought since this board was new we could introduce ourselves. I am so excited about this board.

So, I am missenglish.. obviously lol. I am starting my fifth year teaching and I will be teaching English I and English II. I have only taught 9th and 10th grade, but I would say the freshman are my favorite. I am employed at my old high school, and I love it there! I know teaching high school is my calling, and I could never ever teach anything else. I don't have the patience for little kids and middle school kids are in that weird stage. I am super sarcastic and high school kids get that. I may get fired otherwise.

I would love to hear about everyone else here.

missenglish is offline   Reply With Quote

Mishellee99

My Introduction
Old 07-25-2013, 04:09 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

I am Mishellee99 got my username from the nickname my boss gave me along with my high school graduation year. I am in my 5th year of teaching (2 years of teaching high school and 3 years of teaching college). When I taught my 1st year of high school back in 2005-2006, I taught 9th-11th grades in Algebra 1 and Technical Algebra along with being the elementary school gifted teacher. I was in a regular brick and mortar school

For my 3 years of teaching college, I taught all various math classes along with a study skills class to new students. For my 2nd year of teaching high school (this past school year) I taught Pre-Algebra and Algebra 1. It looks like for this 3rd year of teaching high school I will be doing Algebra 1 again for right now. These 2 years of teaching have been with an online school and I'm looking forward to this school year. When I started last year, I wasn't able to start until October so it will be very nice to start at the beginning of the school year which is a month from tomorrow.

I'm looking forward to connecting with all the other high school teachers on here .
Mishellee99 is offline   Reply With Quote

dakota_blue5

Old 07-25-2013, 04:48 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

Hi all I taught for 7 years in public schools in North Dakota. After marrying and moving to Indiana, I was out of teaching for 10 years. Four years ago, my pastor approached me about teaching in the tiny Christian school our church runs. I start year five there on 8/28.

My major is English but I this year I'll also be teaching biology, geography, keyboarding, and speech.
dakota_blue5 is offline   Reply With Quote

katelaine65

Hi everyone.
Old 07-25-2013, 05:06 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

I am going my 5th year of teaching. The first four years I taught algebra 1. This coming year it looks like I am going to be teaching geometry to both 9th and 10th graders. The is my second career. I didn't start teaching until I was 43. I really enjoy it.
katelaine65 is offline   Reply With Quote

BabyB

Intro
Old 07-25-2013, 05:07 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

Hi! I have been teaching ESL for 13 years at the same school. Next year I am being moved to another HS and MS. (50/50) I am super nervous about the move.

BabyB is offline   Reply With Quote

Mme Escargot

My story...
Old 07-25-2013, 07:31 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

I am going into my 18th year of teaching French, though I am also certified to teach German and English / Language Arts ( Grades 6 - 12. ) I tested to get my certification for teaching English a few years after graduating, in order to make myself more marketable in a job pinch; but don't really have any desire to teach it --- I love grammar, but have never cared much for analyzing and dissecting literature. And although I'm good at helping kids develop their ideas for writing, I find grading essays absolute torture!!!!

I have taught French 1 and 2 at the middle school-level for most of my career, but taught at the high school-level exclusively for four of my eighteen years. Truthfully, I prefer teaching middle schoolers; but since I teach them high-school-credit courses, I have some of the same challenges as high school teachers.

This next school year I will be teaching part-time at my own kids' small private school. I'll have a couple of middle school classes, and one high school class.
Mme Escargot is offline   Reply With Quote

missenglish

woooohoooo
Old 07-25-2013, 08:33 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #7

I am so glad to meet you all!

And Baby B you will be fabulous at your new placement.

Mme Escargot, you mean to tell me you don't love to analyze and dissect literature? Man, I live for that stuff! In reality, I would suck at teaching anything else. English is so.. open! I couldn't do any "fact-based" subjects. I love the discovering meaning part of English class.

Here's to a great year for all of us. It is getting close for me now.. about two weeks.
missenglish is offline   Reply With Quote

lalasim

Middle School Teacher
Old 07-26-2013, 03:37 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #8

Hi all,
I'm Lalasim and this is my first year of teaching! I'll teach Spanish 1 to midlle schoolers, however, Spanish is HS credit so I believe I will benefit from reading from experienced HS teachers. Also, some of you have taught MS and could give a hand .

I'm looking forward to learning from you and sharing the anecdotes of a first year teacher!
lalasim is offline   Reply With Quote

NCLATeacher

Hello, all!
Old 07-26-2013, 08:50 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #9

Another English teacher here. I've taught 8th grade almost exclusively for the last 8 years, and this coming year I'll be teaching English I (new school, new district, new curriculum) and I an very nervous about all the changes. So glad to connect with all of you!
NCLATeacher is offline   Reply With Quote

FLTCHR08

Hi all
Old 07-26-2013, 01:12 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #10

This is the start of my 5th year teaching. Teaching is a second career for me. I began teaching in 2009 - kindergarten. I switched to high school English in 2011. I thought I would really miss teaching the little ones, but I really love teaching in the high school. I'v taught English I, II, and III. I don't know what grade level (s) I'll be teaching this year.

FLTCHR08 is offline   Reply With Quote

Ruby tunes

Retired but still interested
Old 07-27-2013, 02:09 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #11

Hello to everyone on this new board! It is a pleasure to meet you all, and I will introduce myself as well. I taught elementary grades for 17 years in two different public schools, mostly fifth grade. Then one summer I was hired to teach English at one of my district's high schools. I did it again the following summer, at which point the principal walked in and offered me a job. I debated for a year, then decided to do it as I would not want to regret never taking the chance. It was hard to leave my elementary school which I really liked, but I am so glad I did. I then taught 18 years of high school English before retiring last year with 35 years total. I taught all the grade levels from 9 to 12 over the years, and enjoyed them all, although probably sophomores were my favorite age group, if I had to choose only one. I am delighted to be now retired, but I still care passionately about education and all the teachers who are currently in the trenches. Think of me as a senior advisor. :-)
Ruby tunes is offline   Reply With Quote

platypus

Hello
Old 07-27-2013, 09:18 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #12

This is my 6th year. I teach 7-10 grades (English). My favorite class is sophomore English. I also teach middle school world geography and this year I will teach high school world history which I've never taught before so it could be interesting.
platypus is offline   Reply With Quote

xcaped

Hi
Old 07-27-2013, 10:55 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #13

It is a pleasure to participate on this board.

I am also retired. I taught 7th grade social studies for 5 years, and high school special ed for 25 years. My kids were mostly LD and high functioning kids with autism. Most of my kids at least thought they should go to college and were placed in regular ed classes. When because of behavior issues, ability, or skill levels, they couldn't succeed, I went with them. I co-taught all subjects from Algebra to Zoology at one time or another and also taught sp ed classes but enjoyed teaching math classes the most. I actually taught the classes. My personality would not allow me to just sit, take notes, and be treated as a sub by the students. I spent many years as "super woman" negociating that narrow path between what parents demanded and what was reasonable in the classroom. When I retired, I got to "take off my cape". It was worn and tattered, as was I

I might be another resource, especially in dealing with special ed issuues. Sure am glad not to have to get my kids through new harder, testing, end of year tests, and the common core curriculum.
xcaped is offline   Reply With Quote

SavTeacher

Science
Old 07-28-2013, 07:15 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #14

I am going into my 5th year of teaching high school science. In these years I have taught biology, chemistry, physical science, zoology, scientific research 2, physics, and AP environmental science. My majors were Zoology and Marine Ecology, so I obviously like those subjects more, but I tested to teach all sciences to make myself more marketable and, boy, are the schools using that to the fullest!

I like reading the elementary boards for ideas on supplies, etc. but a lot of what they have to say is a little young for me so I'm excited about this board.

We're flipping our physics class for the first time this year and I'm also going to try and do standards-based grading where all of their assignments are graded out of 4 instead out of 100. We'll see if I can accomplish this while also teaching AP environmental for the first time.
SavTeacher is offline   Reply With Quote

SpecialAnne

Hello from MN
Old 07-29-2013, 02:42 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #15

So so excited to have a HS board...

I am starting my 14 year at my current school. I am a special ed teacher focusing on math and career/transition. The grades I prefer are 11-12 gr...I love how focused they become...which really helps when dealing with transition. My students are mostly have learning, behavior or attention issues...so higher functioning.
SpecialAnne is offline   Reply With Quote

teabreak

Intro
Old 07-29-2013, 08:24 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #16

I am Teabreak. I have been teaching high school special education for 5 years now and love it! Little kids are cute, but I love my high schoolers. I will be co-teaching this year with 3 different language arts teachers as well as having 3 preps of resource time. This should be an interesting year.
teabreak is offline   Reply With Quote

puzzlemom

Hi I'm Puzzlemom
Old 07-29-2013, 09:20 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #17

This will be my 22nd year teaching special education (severe and profound). I taugh middle school for 14 years and have been at the high school level for the past 7 years. I enjoy working with high schoolers and have fun with my kiddos.
puzzlemom is offline   Reply With Quote

CarolKaz

Introductions!
Old 07-31-2013, 05:30 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #18

Hello everyone! I am so happy we have our own little corner here!

This will be my 24th year of teaching high school English and journalism (yearbook and newspaper too!) and I live in Indiana. I teach in a suburban/ rural school now, but my first 8 years were in the inner-city schools. I don't have kids, just two spoiled kitties and one wonderful husband.

I am happy to "meet" all of you!
CarolKaz is offline   Reply With Quote

jersey

High School
Old 08-02-2013, 03:13 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #19

I have been teaching in an urban high school for 14 years. I have had both general and honors 9th grade every year. I have also taught 10th-12th. This year I will have 10th grade honors with the 9.
jersey is offline   Reply With Quote

Hifiman

I didn't know this board was here
Old 08-03-2013, 01:51 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #20

I started teaching in 2006 in a second grade class. The next two years I taught 5th. Then I moved to middle school for two years and taught 7th grade life science and then 8th grade physical science. Last year I moved to high school. I taught 9-12 earth science and biology. I'm doing the same this year although now I only have one bio class. Kids start Monday so I'm hoping the numbers work out to where I only have to teach earth science.
Hifiman is offline   Reply With Quote

skmusicgirl

I haven't been on much this summer!
Old 08-07-2013, 03:13 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #21

I'm skmusicgirl. I'm trained to teach band/high school music. The last 3 years I've taught: Math, English (actually now have advanced certification for it), Photography, Guitar, Life Skills, Band, and elementary arts ed.
Next year I'll be doing elementary music and Band for sure, but only guaranteed .5... hoping that the high school I've been at for 3 years finds another section for me to teach the other .5!
skmusicgirl is offline   Reply With Quote

beachPatty

Hey everyone!
Old 08-10-2013, 07:37 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #22

I am actually a sub, which I started doing at age 55. My certification is music K-12. I'm looking for full-time permanent, but there are soooooo many applying for so few jobs.

I sub in high schools a lot, so this board will be helpful. Like missenglish, I do the sarcasm thing ... it works for me with high school kids.

I don't mind subbing for most grade levels - except kindergarten ... :P First grade is also pushing it for me. I don't do PE or special ed, and I love ESL and gifted. But obviously, music (at any level) trumps it all!
beachPatty is offline   Reply With Quote