Help

High School

Question about Praxis tests

>

teacherwriter

Question about Praxis tests
Old 07-26-2013, 02:50 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

I'm excited to see the new board! I plan to pop in periodically, although I don't currently teach HS. Here's my question. I'm licensed K-12, but have never taken the Praxis tests for high school English. (They, ahem, didn't exist when I graduated from college the first time. ) I have one more year under my current licensure to take them and secure the highly qualified rating. Completing the tests would give me more options, but to be honest, I'm not sure I can pull off the studying/relearning in one year while teaching full time. I'd have to reread a lot of books! The tests are ELA Content Knowledge, 5038, and Principles of Learning and Teaching, Grades 7-12, 5624. If you've taken either or both of these tests recently, let me know what you think.

teacherwriter is offline   Reply With Quote

Ruby tunes

Praxis experience
Old 07-27-2013, 01:42 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

You are where I was 19 years ago. I had a K-12 credential and loved teaching elementary school. But then after almost accidentally teaching two summer school sessions at the high school level, I was offered a job teaching English there, and decided to go for it. However, I had to take the Praxis in English to be able to do that during the regular school year. I have always been pretty good at high pressure tests, so I was not too concerned. And I did pass it with good scores the first time. What helped me was the book, "An Incomplete Education." In particular, I reviewed the section on literature so the names, dates, titles, and literary movements would be fresh in my mind. A couple hours each day for the two days just prior to the exam was all I needed to do. I know of others who also passed the exam without too much trouble, and I hope you will be as fortunate.

Looking back, if you tend to be an anxious test taker, I would recommend a review of the grades 10, 11, and 12 English texts used in your district. A different strategy is to simply take the test, hope for the best, and see where you need to improve if you don't pass. Then you can better target your efforts. What did NOT work for me was to buy the almost two inch thick Praxis study guide put out by one of the test prep companies. I bought it and took it home with good intentions a couple of months before the test day. Then, when finally I opened it, I freaked out, put it down like an overheated frying pan, and never looked at it again. Just looking at it felt like torture so it was much better for me to avoid it.

Best of luck to you, and go for it! I am so glad I did.
Ruby tunes is offline   Reply With Quote

missenglish

Old 07-27-2013, 05:57 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

I took those about five years ago.

Principles of Learning and Teaching should not be difficult at all.

ELA Content Knowledge seemed really difficult at the time, but I scored well. I didn't study. I am sure my background in English helped prepare me for that, but some of the questions were outrageous and honestly I don't know how you would study for it.

Lots of questions gave a title of a novel and I had to pick the author. There was also a lot of questions that gave quotes from different novels and I had to pick which novel it was from. Even though these were multiple choice, it was still difficult. I am an avid reader, but I never heard of many of the novels I was asked about.

I think you will be okay if you have a lot of knowledge about literature. Otherwise, you may want to look into what types of prep books are available.
missenglish is offline   Reply With Quote

yeatsgirl8

Praxis 5038, formerly 0041 has really changed
Old 07-02-2014, 12:15 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

Twenty years ago with a degree in Journalism and 33 grad credits in English/Curriculum and instruction, I sailed through the Praxis English test.

Now, after getting all my ducks in a row to get back my certification, I am floored to see the new Praxis 5038. Watch out---it's really tough.

I understand all the books, the authors, all the terms, how to teach writing, but the questions about how many different types of iambic pentameter are just nutty. They go on and on and on.

I am very good in English but the grammar questions are just ridiculous. How many questions do we really need about dangling modifiers, gerund verbs, split infinitives? Yes, I understand the emphasis is back to basics grammar, and, yes, it's important. However, I don't grade papers by telling students...."you used this split infinitive incorrectly." Maybe I'm wrong.

Do not, please, go online and buy online type tests to take that supposedly mirror the Praxis 5038. Those are horrid and not representative of the Praxis II for English Content in any way.

The ETS guide is free and you can download it and gives you a general overview of what you need to know. There are also good references....like the Big Cliff Notes guide in Barnes and Noble.

Maybe I'm just venting (oh, I probably am just frustrated) but I'm studying a few hours to day to pass this. When my cousin, who has her MA in English from an Ivy League school saw some of the questions her remark was, "Some of this is really post graduate type work."

Don't lose hope, just study a piece each day. Time periods, authors, examples of terms. Also make up your own test on quizlet.

We need good English teachers out there and yes, in some way, I am glad it's harder.....but it shouldn't be this tough.
yeatsgirl8 is offline   Reply With Quote

JenKip

Good info
Old 07-08-2014, 08:44 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

Thank you yeatsgirl! Thank you for this post! I take the praxis 5038 next week, and have spent my entire summer preparing for it. Overwhelmed is an understatement. I've taught for 27 years and am highly qualified in English/language arts in my state, but in special education only. I am trying to get a regular English job and am required to take this praxis test. I teach middle school, and trying to review all of the material for the high school test and left me feeling inadequate, to say the least. I took and online practice ester at and missed passing it by 5 points. . Your post kind of helped me to narrow down my topics to study for my last week before the test. I'm A nervous wreck, because I am not a good test taker. I tend to overthink. And I agree about the grammar questions, based on the practice tests I have taken already, they just seem so tedious. And poetry is going to be my downfall for sure. It seems like there is a lot of emphasis in that area. Anyway, thank you for giving me some direction on where to focus my attention this last week of studying.

JenKip is offline   Reply With Quote

teacherwriter

Thanks for the info!
Old 07-08-2014, 11:23 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

I started the original thread a year ago. I still haven't done anything about the high school Praxis tests. I did submit my license for renewal this year, as I mentioned, and my P tells me that the state always renews all of her licenses, even though she hasn't taught in the classroom in years. So I'm guessing they'll renew all of mine too, which will keep that 9-12 license in effect. We'll see! I might eventually have to take the test, though. Guess I'd better look into it. I'm pretty rusty!
teacherwriter is offline   Reply With Quote
sarahfromesu

sarahfromesu

Taking test next week - freaking out!
Old 06-17-2015, 05:34 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #7

Hi, JenKip,
Any update on how the test went? I'm in full panic mode. My question specifically is: how much emphasis was given on works by authors? Like -- were you asked to identify actual works by authors or was it more general literary periods?

Thank you!!!
Soc St-Eng

Soc St-Eng

A note to encourage
Old 06-21-2015, 11:04 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #8

I am cert in Soc St but dual cert opens doors and makes you stand out when applying. There is a substantial need for Soc St-Eng teachers in my district, and nationwide. So I signed up for the 5038 and gave myself about 3 1/2 days to study. I haven't had Eng since college over 15 yrs ago and was stressed about it. Lit and grammar and literary terms are not a strength of mine. I filled out the ETS study guide by googling terms, etc and reading and writing out the concepts, definitions. I also purchased their full length practice test which was a retired test. It was very helpful for experience w their testing, and how they think. Also, it gave explanations for right and wrong answers. After 30 hrs of study...no joke...I passed. Follow the guide but don't worry about other Amazon, etc guides. Do what I did and pass! Challenging but doable if you get ready.
Frankiie011

Frankiie011

A month to study! HELP!
Old 06-23-2015, 09:40 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #9

I have to pass the PRAXIS 5038 in a month to student teach in the fall! I do not even know where to begin. Could you recommend text I could purchase or reference to pass this test. I was an english major in college.

danny1114

Old 07-23-2017, 10:39 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #10

Has anyone taken the Praxis 5038 recently?

danny1114 is offline   Reply With Quote