Help

High School

Room Decor

>

SpecialAnne

Room Decor
Old 07-29-2013, 05:04 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

Okay..so do you have any type of theme in your classroom? Even at the HS level I feel intrigued to do so...I am thinking Social Media... but would have to get my act together NOW!

Do you have a theme?

Do you have any Social Media ideas for me?

SpecialAnne is offline   Reply With Quote

whatever

I am so glad you asked this--
Old 07-29-2013, 07:43 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

I just accepted a Middle school 7-9th grade special ed position. It is so odd because coming from elementary, I am used to decorating. I don't want them to feel babied though.

Only one of the other MS teachers decorated much (also a transplant from elem) and she left this year.

Some of the HS classes are decorated to match the content (Spanish class, history, etc.) Most of the HS classes lead by coaches are 'decorated' by the sports stuff for the school or two nearby state university team logos... I can't think of any that are decorated much so I don't want to step on any toes...
whatever is offline   Reply With Quote

puzzlemom

Me too
Old 07-29-2013, 08:16 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

I also teach HS Special Ed. I have never taught elementary, but am sometimes envious of their classrooms. I do not decorate by a theme although I would love to. I just don't want to make is so babyish. Not to mention I can't really afford it. Right now I use school colors (orange, white and silver) and focus on that.
puzzlemom is offline   Reply With Quote

teabreak

Classroom?
Old 07-29-2013, 08:29 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

A classroom to yourself? What is this fantasy you speak of? !

No theme here as my high school is so large that we use the college method of teaching. Teachers have offices and we all share classrooms. The admin does try to make it so that the same grade and subject share the same classrooms but it's not 100%. No one gets to really decorate their room. I wish I had my own room though! It would be so much nicer to store my things.
teabreak is offline   Reply With Quote

FLTCHR08

Old 07-29-2013, 09:11 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

My classroom is large with a wall of windows. I sometimes wish I didn't have windows because the kids run to them if it begins to rain. It's like they've never seen rain before!

I mostly have student created charts/poems/ and the like on my walls.

FLTCHR08 is offline   Reply With Quote

puzzlemom

Oh my goodness!
Old 07-29-2013, 09:12 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

I am saying my prayer of thanks for what I have. I have never had to share a classroom, although I have always taught Special Ed so it is kind of difficult to share a classroom when your high schoolers are still learning letters and numbers.
puzzlemom is offline   Reply With Quote

missenglish

not a theme
Old 07-29-2013, 05:54 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #7

I don't have a theme really, but I use purple and gold and tigers (our school colors and mascot). I have some nice wall stickers with quotes and pictures on them. I posted a picture that isn't the best but it's the best one I have right now.

For your social media theme, (for your student work section) you could have the students do a get to know you activity where they create their own facebook page on paper. I did this project for an elective class I taught last year and most of the kids enjoyed it. They had to put their name, appropriate screen name, their school/grade/extracurricular activities, their interests , future plans after HS, and include a picture from home. (I'm sure there were more components that I can't think of at the moment)

Also, maybe you could do a bulletin board where you put school/class news. Maybe you can have a text message or someone on the phone or computer asking "what's new" in a bubble and then "replies" to the "what's new" including deadlines or special dates or performances in bubbles that look like text messages. Does this even make sense? The idea in my head is much clearer.
Attachment

Sign in to view attachment. Not a member? Sign Up FREE
missenglish is offline   Reply With Quote

missenglish

another
Old 07-29-2013, 06:02 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #8

My bulletin boards that will contain unit information for each class when the year starts.
Attachment

Sign in to view attachment. Not a member? Sign Up FREE
missenglish is offline   Reply With Quote

Mme Escargot

Old 07-29-2013, 06:10 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #9

I don't do a theme, but my room is usually very colorful, and reflects my personality.
Mme Escargot is offline   Reply With Quote

CarolKaz

HS theme
Old 07-31-2013, 05:18 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #10

I don't have a theme, really, but I like to use our school colors (black and gold), and our mascot (tigers), when I can.

Also, my mentor teacher told me that anyone off the street should be able to walk past my room and be able to tell what subject is taught there; so, because I teach English and journalism, I make sure I have posters that reflect my subject area.

I think kids like it when they can tell a little about your personality by being in your room so if you have favorites of anything, bring them in! Have fun!

CarolKaz is offline   Reply With Quote