Help

High School

School Based Enterprise

>

puzzlemom

School Based Enterprise
Old 07-31-2013, 08:05 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

I also posted this on the Special Ed board, but wanted to ask those of you in High School if you have any ideas.
I will be teaching 2-3 Economics classes to high school students with severe and profound disabilities. My supervisor mentioned started a school based enterprise as part of the Economics class. I just don't know what I can do with the limited amount of time and given how low functioning my students are. The only ide that I currently have is trying to grow herbs (we have a great window with lots of light) and possibly doing herb infused olive oils.
What are your thoughts? Do you have any other ideas? Your input and ideas are greatly appreciated.
TIA

puzzlemom is offline   Reply With Quote

Lottalove

Our HS SpEd kids
Old 07-31-2013, 11:55 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

have a button maker. I am not sure of the exact brand. I think they got a grant for the machine and initial supplies.

They have very simple order forms and work assisted/supervised in making them and putting them together. They also help package them and deliver those with destinations within the building.

The HS sped teacher works with the yearbook/picture staff and computer lab to print out pictures as needed. Some are just logos or logos + clipart, some are specific pictures of students in their school uniforms specified by sport.
Lottalove is offline   Reply With Quote

BabyB

School based enterprise
Old 07-31-2013, 12:20 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

In our school, the students run a coffee shop during lunch. One year they also had a class that baked for the coffee shop during first period. The coffee shop is open during lunch and the students are assigned to the shop during that period. It goes without saying that everyone has a food handler's card.
At another school, the students made pads of paper from recycling. They sorted the one sided ones, counted them and used a padding frame to make pads that they sold to students and staff. It was very popular and the frame was made by a parent.
BabyB is offline   Reply With Quote

xcaped

School Based Enterprise
Old 07-31-2013, 12:39 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

Can some of the kids actually participate in an entriprise activity? Or will it be another "enterprise" for you?

Growing herbs sounds like a good idea to me. It simple, uncomplicated, located in your classroom, and requires little outside coordination.
xcaped is offline   Reply With Quote

puzzlemom

Thanks
Old 08-01-2013, 11:24 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

for the ideas.
BabyB
Quote:
the students run a coffee shop during lunch
We are not allowed to sell anything during lunch as it might take revenue away from the cafeteria
Lottalove
Quote:
button maker
This may be something to look into.
I found out today that we will likely incorporate the higher
functioning special diploma kids to take orders and handle paper work. the lower functioning guys would be doing the "labor"
xcaped
Some of my guys can actually participate, even if just by activating a switch. They enjoy doing stuff like this.I just don't want it to consume my whole day.
My supervisor is thinking we could do something weekly, like a different dessert or lunch item to sell to staff only.
Thanks again for the input

puzzlemom is offline   Reply With Quote

teachnkids

Old 08-01-2013, 06:45 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

How about selling popcorn? The kids can pop it and deliver it to the students during an afternoon class period. The school that I know did it took orders ahead of time.
teachnkids is offline   Reply With Quote

giver1940

Our students
Old 08-04-2013, 01:18 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #7

have a basket with snacks in it for the teachers. They have to count the money, restock it, go to Sam's Club and buy supplies for it. They used to leave it in the lounge, but due to easy access they were losing money so it's in the office now.
giver1940 is online now   Reply With Quote