Intervention & Title I Services

Author's Night

>

Triomom

Author's Night
Old 03-16-2007, 01:26 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

Hi:
Our school is getting ready to have Author's night. On this evening each grade showcases students' writing (specifically poetry). Parents are invited to a poetry reading in the auditorium (three poems per class/our school is small). The teacher chooses one, the children choose one and there is a random choice. All poetry from each class is displayed outside the classroom. I would like to involve our Title I children. Does anyone have any poetry ideas that you have used in the past with your kids? There is really no particular theme, only what the individual teacher decides to do. Thanks in advance for any ideas that you might offer!
Triomom

Triomom is offline   Reply With Quote

MrsM

Old 03-18-2007, 07:07 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

All my poetry books are at school, if there is time, I will look to see what's there and if I can come up with any ideas for you. We have the same thing coming up, and it's called Write-On Festival here. In April we'll invite parents in to read with their children and see their children's written books and stories. Teachers are creating displays (and competing for a prize) and, new this year, we'll have an author visit.

It's been a while since I've taught poetry to any of my kids, but I remember having a lot of fun with Diamante.
MrsM is offline   Reply With Quote

MrsM

Old 03-20-2007, 05:11 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

I remember my favorite keepsake from my son is a poem about himself, in which he describes his likes, fears, joys, etc. I found something similar (but not the format his teacher used) at this link:
http://wwww.readwritethink.org/lesso...98/biopoem.pdf
This is on the website from International Reading Association, on doing a bio-poem. The example uses a famous figure, so your children could do themselves, a close friend or relative, or a famous person after reading the biography. I think I'll use this myself when I have my students read biographies next week.
MrsM is offline   Reply With Quote