Intervention & Title I Services

Need a Reading Test

>

soycandle

Need a Reading Test
Old 04-19-2007, 06:55 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

Hi everyone,

We're using Dibels for K-2, but need a test classroom teachers can use for grades 3-5 that will measure comprehension and vocabulary. I've used Dibels Oral Reading Fluency and Retell tests for grades 3-5, but it wasn't a good measure for comprehension and vocabulary. The teachers are concerned about reading in content areas and that our students don't seem to comprehend or be able to apply what they've read. I only work with K-2, so am looking for something the classroom teacher can use. Thanks for any advice or if you can point me in the right direction.

Lynn

soycandle is offline   Reply With Quote

LaVerne

basal placement test
Old 04-23-2007, 07:25 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

How about whatever basal series you use? Does it have a placement test? Or a beginning of the year/end of the year test?
When I took this job in the fall, I had to 'recreate' a placement test from the REALLY CRUMMY basal series we use. I took bits and parts that dealt with vocabulary/comprehension to use as a weeding out tool for my title reading students.
Next fall, we are getting a new series so it has other tests to use so once again it will be something different.

Perhaps the title website for your state has a placement test...I know a few of our grade levels do but not all the ones I service.

Hope this helps.
LaVerne is offline   Reply With Quote

Miss Gina

Old 05-27-2007, 07:55 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

Our school uses the STAR and SCANTRON programs. These are computer programs purchased by the school district. We also use, for one on one the Basic Reading Inventory Performance Booklet by Jery L. Johns of Northern Illinois Univerisity. With these three used together, we usually get a pretty good assessment of reading levels.
Miss Gina is offline   Reply With Quote

kali

Dra II
Old 06-24-2007, 04:09 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

We use the DRA, well now we use the new and improved DRA II. Kindergarten students are only tested in the Spring (as they do the PLSS a phonemic awareness assessment in the fall). They continue to use this measurement through the grades so it shows growth over time. The DRA checks for comprehension, fluency, and gives you the child's instructional reading level. This is really helpful when looking at title 1 kids and reading recovery students, etc.
kali is offline   Reply With Quote