Intervention & Title I Services

Scheduling

>

seniorsumma

Scheduling
Old 09-07-2007, 01:40 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

Title I teachers who do pull out,

Who does your schedule? How many kids do you service?

seniorsumma is offline   Reply With Quote

MrsM

scheduling pull-out
Old 09-08-2007, 05:43 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

I do my own scheduling, and the worst part is that I schedule after everything else is already scheduled. Speech, At-risk, Special Ed, recess, even classroom routine, and the teachers feel their own routine is set in stone and unchangeable. I used to go to each teacher to find out their choices or preferences, but got into so many hassles, that this is how I do it now.

I send a note to each teacher, giving her the list of students I will see from her room. This year I also added the time slots in which I will be able to see kids. I called a meeting and wouldn't schedule anything until everyone showed up. I see all students who are reading below grade level, and it's within the guidelines of 30-60 students for a full-time Title I teacher. If a teacher has more than 6 students, she schedules first, due to needing two time slots. If teachers have very few students, they go next, because they have to schedule at a time another teacher schedules. For instance, two teachers each have 3 students who qualify, and they have to find a time that works for both of them. The last ones to speak up will be the ones with 5 or 6 students. It usually works out that we have a schedule within 10 minutes. If two people insist on the same time slot because absolutely nothing else will work, I let the two of them talk it over. I don't get involved. If something is definite, I write it on the white board. It has worked for me to schedule this way for 3 years now.

As I said, I see all students below grade level in fall testing. This fall I'm taking 37 students to start. This feels like few students, because in past years I've had to take almost 60 students with some on the waiting list. The groups are far too large at that point. We have better Title I services now at lower grade levels (I serve only 3rd grade) so there are fewer students still behind at 3rd grade.
MrsM is offline   Reply With Quote

Susan/IN

Old 09-08-2007, 10:25 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

I have fewer students than ever this year, at least to start. But an hour of my day is spent in the classroom, and two hours of my day is spent doing reading recovery. This is the first year I'm only working with one grade level. I currently have 4 group times set aside to work with students and have anywhere from 2-4 students per group. I expect to pick up a few more students over the next few weeks. I can't take any more than 4 students at a time because the room I'm in simply won't fit any more than that around the table. I think that is part of the reason I'm working in classrooms for part of my day. By the time I have lunch and schedule around recess and specials (which fall all on the same day every 4th day), there isn't much time left.
Susan/IN is offline   Reply With Quote

readerabbit

schedule
Old 09-10-2007, 11:36 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

I am like Mrs.M I do my own but I get the table scrapes or the leftover slots. I used to service 50 a day but as of today it looks like 58 .
This is going to be a challenge.
readerabbit is offline   Reply With Quote

LaVerne

My schedule
Old 09-24-2007, 12:06 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

This is only my second year at this so I am not an expert.

Last year, I did as the teacher before me did and it was really unacceptable. I just visited with teachers as I saw them. Of course the 'squeaky wheels' got the best times, even if the kids from their classes were less in numbers. I learned a lesson from that.

This year, I did as someone on this board suggested. I put my time slots on the board, invited everyone into my room, and they choose from there. However, I have to do this BEFORE I have finished with my placement and selection items. So some of my groups are larger than I would like. I have to group some teachers because I serve 17 teachers and there isn't enough time for everyone to have their own slot. I think some students aren't getting to see me and they really should be. But with funding cuts, and my limitations with time, I still am seeing 40 students already with some on the waiting list. I am stretched very thin.

I liked the second method of scheduling better than the first year...only wish I could do it after all the testing is done. I do have some indications from last year's groups, but each year my new to me third graders are sort of a question mark.

Hope this helps.

LaVerne is offline   Reply With Quote