Intervention & Title I Services

Students joining Title later on...

>

LaVerne

Students joining Title later on...
Old 11-11-2007, 09:04 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

Hi everyone.

I am struggling with how to justify including students to my Title Reading grades 3-5 after the school year has started. I am pretty comfortable with my initial student selection criteria and how many students become eligible. But, how do you handle the students that NOW, after the first conferences and quarter is done, they aren't succeeding in reading but didn't quite meet the initial criteria? What I mean are the ones now that are failing reading or near to failing? Do you take a report card score and allow them in? Do you take 2 or 3 reading test or other scores and allow them in? What criteria do you use?

I would like to help them all!!! And of course you have the teachers who want you to service half their classes. But in some cases, you know that some individual help would advance the students so much. How do I balance that with the rules and regulations of Title I???? I don't think those rules are so clear and cut and dried once you get going into the year.

My caseload is over 35 so I am full up but I do have some that could maybe make it on their own.

Please let me know how you handle this. THANKS!!!

LaVerne is offline   Reply With Quote

MrsM

what I do
Old 11-11-2007, 10:40 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

Others may do it differently, but this is what I do. If the student was tested by all the same criteria but didn't qualify, I don't later add them to the list. The exception would be if my list was full at the beginning of the year, and with kids moving out and graduating out, I have room to add more. I would add the next composite score group all at once. For example, there could be 4 students that scored 36 and my previous cut-off was 37. I would add those 4 students.

In our school we have an after school program for at-risk kids that some could qualify for, and also we are about to begin 10 weeks of after school tutoring in reading, twice a week for an hour each time. Any kids that would be failing reading would be included in the ones being recommended for the tutoring. I just figure everyone is covered.
MrsM is offline   Reply With Quote