Intervention & Title I Services

Harcourt Trophies Reading series

>

star

Harcourt Trophies Reading series
Old 03-30-2008, 06:53 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

Hi
Does anyone use the Harcourt Trophies reading series ? My school K-6 uses it. I use the intervention program with my Title 1 2nd grade students. I am unhappy with the program and wondered what others think of it. There definately is not enough practice and a lack of decoding skills at this level. I'm always supplementing the phonics skills.
Thanks
Star

star is offline   Reply With Quote

MrsM

supplement reading
Old 03-31-2008, 01:55 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

It's always a good thing to supplement when what you use isn't appropriate. We don't use Harcourt Trophies. I honestly can't remember at this point what series the classroom teachers use. I use Reading A-Z for the awesome books, and the other lessons I invent myself. We had some territory issues when I used books with the kids that their classroom teachers wanted to use, so I use the subscription service (readinga-z.com).
MrsM is offline   Reply With Quote

steelcitymom

Old 03-31-2008, 03:06 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

We use Trophies at our school too. When I was the Title teacher, all my time was spent helping the kids with the basal vocabulary, spelling for the week, and rereads of the story for comprehension. I basically helped them get through that week. The next week it started all over. I had each group for 30 min about 2-3X a week.
I really think that Trophies goes too quickly and does not sequence phonics skills well enough. I would like to see more indepth work with vowels for one.
steelcitymom is offline   Reply With Quote