Help

Intervention & Title I Services

Title 1/At Risk Parapro Guidelines

>

nutella

Title 1/At Risk Parapro Guidelines
Old 01-30-2008, 06:26 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

After googling for 3 hours and with no luck, I was hoping to find some help on here.

I am looking for a document for 'At Risk' Paraprofessionals under Michigan's section 31a that clearly lists what At Risk Paras are allowed to do in the classroom under Michigan law. For example, the classroom teacher cannot use their para to make copies, check papers, etc. They can be used to reduce class size, for one-on-one tutoring, etc.

The part I am interested in finding states whether a school can or can not use an At Risk Para as a substitute teacher for the classroom teacher. I know I was shown these guidelines before but google is letting me down!

Anyone know anything about this? I hope it makes sense... I'm obviously new to title 1 and don't understand all the lingo sometimes

nutella is offline   Reply With Quote

MrsM

I'm working on it
Old 01-31-2008, 04:41 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

Look under Supplemental Educational Services on the state website. I've negotiated some of the maze there, haven't found specifically what you are looking for, but if I have time I'll work on it some more.

http://www.michigan.gov/documents/Fi...p_140474_7.pdf
This is the link to the map of the state and information on your contacts within your area. Can you call someone at the state? Have you talked with your Title I director about your concerns?

I usually use keywords such as federal program guidelines, sometimes the words federal grants, and manual. Hopefully, between us, we'll find it. If you locate it or resolve it another way, please let me know here so I'll know to stop looking.
MrsM is offline   Reply With Quote

MrsM

found one thing
Old 01-31-2008, 04:46 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

This is a short document, but it states the pupil/tutor ratio as maximum of 15:1, and must be under direct supervision of a certified teacher.

http://www.michigan.gov/documents/Se...on_37026_7.pdf

Hope it helps, let me know.
MrsM is offline   Reply With Quote

nutella

Thanks!
Old 02-04-2008, 04:52 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

Sorry it took me awhile to get back to you. The links helped for another question I had, but it's not exactly what I was originally looking for. I guess my question is way too specific.

I've tried asking my title 1 coord, but it takes on average 4 days for her to get back to me about any question I ask about anything. Just today she gave me yet another responsibility that is completely random. I can't tell if she's just using me or if it's actually a task under what I should be doing for title 1 funding. The lack of organization at this school is driving me up the wall!
nutella is offline   Reply With Quote

rdgspeclst

NO in KS and MO
Old 04-11-2008, 07:13 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

In NO way can we in KS or MO use a para for a sub.

rdgspeclst is offline   Reply With Quote

rdgspeclst

This may help some
Old 04-11-2008, 07:16 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

http://64.233.167.104/search?q=cache...lnk&cd=2&gl=us
rdgspeclst is offline   Reply With Quote

Miss Gina

From a para in KY
Old 04-23-2008, 07:21 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #7

I've worked in Title 1 for 8 years as a para. The first year I worked in our school, a teacher asked one of my fellow paras to watch her class while she just ran to the bathroom. The principle came by and saw this para teaching the class. Needless to say, none of us were ever left in doubt that paras do not sub. We even have a certified teacher who is a para, don't know why, but she would rather be a para, and even she is not allowed to sub.

I'm in KY, so I don't know if your rules and standards are the same as ours, but we do make copies, of our own, not for the teacher unless it is something we have time to do. With 10 half hour groups a day, lunch and a break, we don't have any extra time to be convenient for other teachers very often. Our teachers use parent volunteers to do copies, etc for their classrooms. There are two teacher teams who take turns doing their level's copies for the week so that there is no need to worry about needing more copies. It works for them.

As a literacy/intervention para, at our school, our main concern is for the children who are at risk of remaining below grade level in reading and comprehension. Our goal is to have all children by the end of first grade to be on level. It isn't easy, but we've come pretty close this year, haven't made it, but we got close.

The only time we don't work with our kids is during state wide testing, then we provide modifications for other at risk kids who have IEPs that entail readers, scribes, para-phrasers, etc. Since this is the law here in KY, it is a need that must be met and we do it for the kids and our school system. We do modifications during the morning and work in our intervention groups in the afternoon.

I don't know if this helps you, but good luck in finding your answers.
Miss Gina is offline   Reply With Quote