Title 1 Teachers.....Do they still exist? - ProTeacher Community

Home Join Now Search My Favorites
Help

Intervention & Title I Services

Title 1 Teachers.....Do they still exist?

>

TERRENCE

Title 1 Teachers.....Do they still exist?
Old 07-29-2007, 06:46 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

Years ago, my county had Title 1 reading teachers in elementary schools that qualified. They would come and pull the low learners for thirty minutes, daily. I thought that the program was excellent for reading enrichment. However, after a decade, the teachers were gone and the reading scores dropped. Do Title ! still exist anywhere.

TERRENCE is offline   Reply With Quote

Zee

Old 07-29-2007, 07:43 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

My school qualifies for Title I Reading and Math. Unfortunately though they only serve grades 3-5. I teach 2nd.

My thought is...if the younger ones would get the extra help that they need, there wouldn't be as many in need in the higher grades. But yes, Title I programs do still exist.
Zee is offline   Reply With Quote

GoTeachers

Yes
Old 07-29-2007, 07:56 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

Yes, we have Title 1 services. We have one teacher for K-2 and one for 3-5, even though they sometimes have to juggle and switch around a bit depending on the need.
GoTeachers is offline   Reply With Quote

Susan/IN

Yes...
Old 07-29-2007, 08:27 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

Title I still exists for schools that qualify.

In my district we have had Title I in the school I'm presently in since 1980 (I am the only original Title I teacher left). Over the years other elementaries in our district have qualified but the money wasn't there for all schools. This year we are adding Title I to one other elementary in our district for K-1. I will be doing Title I in my building for grade one, the all day K will be handling the lowest kids at that grade level, and another teacher will be doing Title I for grade 2 in my building. Unfortunately, that's what we can afford.

We do pull out but last year started pushing in as well. It's just how your grant is written.
Susan/IN is offline   Reply With Quote

yesteach

yes
Old 07-29-2007, 09:26 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

We have Title 1, but we have it after school hours. We felt we could serve more students this way, and they weren't being pulled from classtime. We serve first through sixth on all campuses this way. It's one hour per day (most schools do three days per week, a few do four). Students are placed based on need - if they need just math, they do all days in math; just reading, all days in reading; both, they either alternate weeks reading/math, or they do 30mins of each every day.

Teachers are paid hourly to work that hour after school. The kids have a 15-20min break between end of school and start of Title where they receive a snack (provided by the school). We have about 15-20 teachers per campus who teach Title 1 after school.

yesteach is offline   Reply With Quote

josephineg

I was in a Title 1
Old 07-29-2007, 09:40 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

program when I was in eighth grade in Catholic school. It was for the students of exceptional (high) ability, and there were six of us. It was 1966-1967.

We met after school and the local public school science teacher, Mr. Trotta, taught us for 3 afternoons per week, for about an hour or so, maybe it was 45 minutes.

The Title 1 monies had been also used to purchase an expensive lab table that sat in the corner. Mr. Trotta was a great teacher, and I think he used that expensive portable lab table only once during the whole year. He talked to us, and asked us a lot of questions. He encouraged us to think about things we had never thought of before.

He was the first "real" science teacher I ever had, and it was because of him that I went on to major in science and engineering.

All the best.
josephineg is offline   Reply With Quote

PanchaO

Old 07-30-2007, 05:04 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #7

Title 1 exixts. It depends on your school poverty level and free lunch. My district gets millions of dollars (it is a large urban district). SMuch depends on how it is written in your school. If you are a schoolwide school then the funds can be used in many differenct way...not necessarly for teachers salaries
PanchaO is offline   Reply With Quote

Ladybug2

I'm Title I Teacher
Old 08-01-2007, 08:34 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #8

I am currently a Title I instructor for one section of kindergarten as well as providing services for three first grade classrooms. In our building we also have a second grade title I teacher. She also does two sections of kindergarten. We are very lucky to have a teacher who provides Title I support to third and fourth grade as well.

All of our Title I teachers work with the classroom teachers. In fact, one day each weeek we meet for twenty minutes during the school day to discuss and conference on students. We go into the classrooms and pull reading groups during the classroom teacher's guided reading time. Our Title I students not only see the Title I teacher but they are still seen by their own classroom teacher. This past year in the afternoon, I went back into the first grade classrooms during their writing time to help support Title I students. I just wish we had more time to give these students. I spend a lot of time assessing with DIBELS!
Ladybug2 is offline   Reply With Quote
KAH122415@ms

KAH122415@ms

Mr. Trotta
Old 04-28-2008, 09:09 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #9

Is the Mr. Trotta you speak of the same Mr. Trotta that taught at Franklin Elementary in North Bergen New Jersey?
flipflop33

flipflop33

Title I at our school
Old 05-08-2008, 10:48 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #10

Title I still exhists at our school. We now have MTSS (what used to be called RTI) at our school for grades K-2 and we have Title for grades 3-5. I just wish that I had more time with the students and less testing.