Help

Intervention & Title I Services

Am I effective???

>

newteach234

Am I effective???
Old 11-12-2007, 11:16 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

My school has NO official assessments for me to administer. There is no assigned curriculum for support (title I) teachers. I basically have no accountability. Although this relieves a lot of stress for me, how do I know I'm effective? How do I know the kids are learning? How do I know I'm teaching them the right stuff? the right way? Other than my own personal observations, I have no documentation of their success. Any suggestions? Does anyone else work at a school that is this loose with their title I teachers??

newteach234 is offline   Reply With Quote

MrsM

my suggestions
Old 11-13-2007, 03:21 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

You probably do most of this anyway, but here are my suggestions. You can use quick assessments in your Title I time to find out where the students have weaknesses. Use your time intensely, with high expectations, and remind them often of the strategies, rules, guidelines, hints that you teach. You don't have a curriculum because you support the classroom curriculum. If Kid A is low on sight words, make a game with sight words. If Kid B needs long vowel sounds, make that the focus of a Making Words lesson. They'll all benefit, no matter what your lesson is.

I didn't have a way to see their growth, either, and I was questioning myself like this, a few years ago. I started doing benchmark reading level tests mid-year. That's at a point that the kids have been in school for 4 months but seeing me for 3 months. I started to see some proof of the progress the kids are making. Some kids make leaps. This year I have a 3rd grader who came to me reading 1.0 and is now reading 2.0. She has leaped!

If I had a decent computer in my room, I would connect a microphone and record monthly samples of each student reading aloud. That would show progress! I could then burn a CD for each child's parent to show what the reading sounded like at the beginning of the year, compared to the end of the year. You know what? Nothing is stopping me from bringing in my laptop to do that. Thanks for letting me remind myself of a great idea.

I just re-read your wording in your post. The classroom teachers also don't see me correcting papers, because I give no grades and my best teaching doesn't happen with fill-in-the-blank. I borrowed a progress report blank from another Title I teacher here on PT, and revised it a bit, and all the Title I teachers from 2nd-5th in my district now use it quarterly. That's another way to show yourself the progress you make with each child. I mark 7 items on behavior and work habits, and 3 on reading skills observed. There is a comment box at the bottom. If you'd like to see mine, I'd be happy to share.

Hang in there, you do so much more good than you can see.
MrsM is offline   Reply With Quote

LaVerne

My school...
Old 11-13-2007, 12:53 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

is somewhat lax as well. My curriculum is based on the weekly communication sheets I have with my classroom teachers. Their lesson plans are based on our curriculum guides we have written for our district, based on our state standards. This is required by the state. I made up my own communication sheet to reflect what areas the teachers are working on that will be helpful to me. (Reading story, skill or strategy, spelling unit, language skill) If I get to all those areas in 1 week I am doing great. Teachers can tell if you have managed to talk/discuss things in the Title room. It makes life go more smoothly for everyone.

I do take an assessment of skills/strategies/vocabulary I have taught regularly so that I know something is being retained. I used a lower level workbook from our reading series and cut and pasted together a very short assessment. I keep track of how they did so that I know if they still need to stay with me or can leave title.

I made a lesson planner that reflects my various teachers with 5 day weeks, using the larger size copy paper and bound it together. (Insert a table in any word processing program. ) This helps me keep track of what each group has done for the day. This is for me as much as anyone else...I don't have to hand in lesson plans to anyone.

I do regular fluency checks after we have practiced in the room. I use the reading a-z site for level passages. Kids really like this.

In my short 2 years at this, I have found my district isn't so much on keeping track of what I do, but the state is. We are monitored regularly, in fact this year by Dec 1. There all the rules and regulations have to be documented, including Scientifically based research to back how things are taught in my room. So check out your state site to make sure of things. My local Title Coordinator is useless so I have had to make sure of things on my own.

Good luck. Let me know if I can help in anyway.
LaVerne is offline   Reply With Quote

Susan/IN

no official assessments for Title I
Old 11-13-2007, 01:30 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

I think many of us are in the same position you're in. Title I is a support program and we find whatever we can do make progress. You should follow your building or district. To say there is no accountability is not really true because under NCLB we are all accountable and it will be catching up to some of us pretty quickly! I have been in my position since 1980 and was one of two original Title I teachers for our district. I am constantly combing catalogs, attending workshops, etc. to make sure I'm accountable for the work I do with the children. The other posts have some wonderful ideas. Just because you don't give grades, please don't think you're not effective. As long as you're not only playing games with the kids all the time (I've been accused of that in the past by teachers who aren't effective in the classrooms and need someone to blame for the children's lack of gains) I'd venture to say you are doing what needs to be done. Hang in there.
Susan/IN is offline   Reply With Quote
flipflop33

flipflop33

Progress Report for Title I
Old 05-08-2008, 10:11 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

I would like to see a copy of your progress report that you have on each student. I am never quite sure how to do P/T conferences on my students, so that is a good idea.

Joan

Joan

Mrs. C
Old 07-20-2008, 07:25 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

I would love to have a copy of your progress report!