Help

Intervention & Title I Services

I feel lost.

>

TeacherKari

I feel lost.
Old 09-17-2007, 06:53 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

This is my first year to Title I. I have a great principal (who has taught Title I) and a mentor who has taught Title for 6 years. This is only the beginning of my second week with the kids and I feel like I am being ineffective. I feel as if I am just doing glorified guided reading lessons. I do things with word plays, onset/rime, writing and reading in a leveled text. I know that I should be teaching strategies and I will, but could someone share how they make their 30 minutes flow? I don't want to waste my student's time with things that are ineffective. And, I don't want my principal to think that I don't have clue, but I need some help here. Thanks for your tips, I really appreciate them. : ) I love this discussion board!

TeacherKari is offline   Reply With Quote

MrsM

You'll be fine
Old 09-18-2007, 02:56 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

Just getting to know the kids is a time when I also feel ineffective. I do so much repeating, and they ask so many questions. After a while we all get into a groove, and they even try to put me back on track if I do something unusual one day. I teach only 3rd grade, so many of my group times are independent. Yours may be different. I do some structured lessons here and there, and right now it's mostly what I'm doing. My students know to come in and sit at the table. I also do checkout with my bookshelf, so they hand me their books to turn in, and we get to the lesson. I spend the last 2 or 3 minutes letting them find a new book to check out and they line up.

Something I do for my own benefit is check their reading levels at mid-year. The classroom teachers don't do this. I provide my Title I director with a spreadsheet showing the students' beginning reading level for the school year, and the mid-year level. I know I must be doing something right (along with parents and classroom teacher) when the students can show almost a year's growth in the 3-4 months we've been in school. My director uses the spreadsheet to present at the school board meeting. There are some who don't show as much progress, and even no progress by then, and many of those students soon qualify for LD services.

Just know that having the extra "glorified guided reading" lesson in a day may be what the children need. Maybe you present something that finally makes sense. Maybe the three extra times you say to find a chunk within a word is what finally cements it into their minds. We never know, but track their progress and pat yourself on the back. You will see how effective you are.
MrsM is offline   Reply With Quote

soycandle

hang in there
Old 09-18-2007, 04:07 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

Hang in there! As you get to know your students, you will learn from them what you need to teach. That might sound funny, but the more you work with them, the more you will see what their gaps are and what they need extra reteaching in. Do you do the D.I.B.E.L.S. test? I make notes for myself as I give the test to each student. Many of the students will need to work on the same thing, and I put those students together in a group. Such as, those who are making vowel mistakes on the Nonsense Word Fluency Test, those who are reading at about the same (slower) rate on Oral Reading Fluency, and those who are having problems with comprehension (Retell portion of the test could help you see this). There are other good tests out there to help. Simply listening to them read can sometimes help guide you, as well. Best of luck this year, I know you'll get into a groove. I always trust Mrs. M's advice.
soycandle is offline   Reply With Quote

TeacherKari

Thanks MrsM
Old 09-18-2007, 04:56 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

I really trust your postings and I appreciate the support. I did talk to my principal and my mentor and they, as well as you, agree that the "get to know you stage" can be a little difficult. I'm just ready to focus on the strategies, but at this time, I'm not super sure what strategies to use with everyone. I also feel that spending time in text takes so long, that it seems as if it will be difficult to be able to focus on using strategies...I know it will come together eventually. Keep posting! : )

TeacherKari

thanks!
Old 09-18-2007, 05:03 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

We don't do DIBELS, we use DRA for the lower grades, BRI for the upper, and I do QRI+4 for my "eligible students." I have grouped my students by grade level for time purposes, so that can make some of the teaching a little difficult, but overall they're at the same levels so that helps. I'm just so concerned about reaching their needs and making progress and that I'm worried now b/c I'm not happy with MY teaching--I'm afraid they won't be any further in a month! I know, I'm just a worry-wart...but they are real concerns. I want to be pro already when this is only my first year. At least I'm setting high expectations for myself! Thanks again for listening.

readerabbit

relax
Old 09-19-2007, 12:45 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

Don't be so hard on yourself. I think Mrs. M would agree with me that Title 1 is a different ball game than regular ed. As Mrs.M said the most important thing is to learn your students. That is where you have the advantage compared to regular ed. In regular ed. everyone is suppose to fit into a certain mold and if you don't that is the child's problem.
In Title you get a chance to do things that some people perceive as "funzie onzie" (word plays etc) but oh my what a wonderful assessment tool for observing following directions, interactive learning. These activities gives the child the chance to show what they know in a different way .Sometimes if they can see they know something one way ( spelling using clapping) then it is easier to transfer the knowlege to regular classroom requirements. I can tell alot about my kids by "playing BINGO" but I never tell the kids we PLAY I explain it is an activity where you are using a chip rather than a pencil and they love it and I get alot of information form it. Good luck
readerabbit is offline   Reply With Quote
flipflop33

flipflop33

Suggestions....
Old 05-08-2008, 10:19 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #7

I also have DIBELS in our school. We test school-wide at the beginning and end of each school year. In between that time, we progress monitor (which comes with the DIBELS program). It allows us to see the progress that the students are making or not making and if we need to change the intervention. We have RTI or what it is now called, MTSS at our school. I love the program. We were trained 2 years ago and jumped right in. We used Sound Partners (a really good intervention book) for some of our MTSS groups. I have learned over the years though, that not just one test tells "all" about the student. I look at their ITBS and State Assessment scores and also am in contact with the classroom teachers about the areas that a particular student is having difficulties in.

rdgtchr8

rdgtchr8
Old 07-21-2008, 07:34 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #8

I was in your position 8 years ago until I received extensive training through my school district. I feel so fortunate that my school district provides on-going staff development. Each year I tweak my daily lessons so they work for me and my students. I am happy to share with you how I teach my Title 1 Reading lessons.
Lesson components for Kindergarten:
10 min. of Word Work, 10 min. of Interactive Writing & 10 min. of Shared Reading/Guided Reading. (Mid-year, I start Guided Reading once my students are able to recognize some basic sight words.) Lesson components for first grade:
10 minutes of Word Work, 10 minutes of Interactive Writing/Writing Aloud & 10 minutes of Guided Reading (Mid-year, I start Writing Aloud.)
Lesson components for second - fifth grade:
10 min. of Fluency Work; 10 min. of Word Work & 10 min. of Guided Reading
If you choose a "focus" each day and carry it throughout the lesson then your lesson will flow. By choosing a "focus" you can also check for understanding/application. For example, in first grade you could teach the short "a" vowel sound during Word Work, then think of a sentence containing a short "a" word for Interactive Writing, and finally find a book for students to read that contains short "a" words.
Also, during Guided Reading instruction, I teach/review a decoding reading strategy (I use Beanie Baby strategies). When the students read a non-fiction book, I ask the students to read and locate specific information. When they read a fiction book, I have the students retell the story and make a connection. Since I only have 10 min. to teach Guided Reading, it usually takes 2 - 3 days to complete a book.
If you have more questions regarding how to teach a 30 minute intervention lesson, I'll be glad to share more with you.
rdgtchr8 is offline   Reply With Quote

Eagle1

Grades 5-6
Old 07-23-2008, 07:12 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #9

I will be teaching 12 students at a time for 30 min. a day. Any suggestions on how you would teach them in that amount of time?
Eagle1 is offline   Reply With Quote

SweetTea

Questions
Old 08-15-2008, 05:23 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #10

I was wondering how you select the focus of the day. Do you collaborate with the classroom teachers or decide based on testing and observation? I too am a first year teacher and will be serving students K-6. Although I worked as a Title I assistant last year after I finished college in December and have some ideas, I'd like to hear from the voices of experience. Also what does targeted assistance mean? I appreciate any help that anyone can provide!

SweetTea is offline   Reply With Quote