Intervention & Title I Services

Fluency Activities for 6th grade boys

>

Triomom

Fluency Activities for 6th grade boys
Old 01-11-2007, 05:25 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

Hi:
I am in need of some interesting ideas for some 6th grade boys who have difficulty with fluency. I have been working with high interest/low readability level texts and doing repeated readings. Has anyone else tried something different that is really effective. Please share.
Thanks,
Triomom

Triomom is offline   Reply With Quote

MrsM

Old 01-12-2007, 04:17 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

Hi Triomom. I have two ideas for you. Besides readers theater, which I doubt 6th grade boys would enjoy, you might see if they want to read to young kids. They would have to practice and practice a book until it sounds smooth so that when they read to someone in K or 1st, it will be enjoyable to the listener.

The other idea is kind of like beat-the-clock, only it's beating his best score. Have a student read an independent level passage into a cassette recorder. He plays it back and uses a stopwatch to time himself, and records the time. He can do this three times and show his results in some meaningful way, such as a line or bar graph, or a table. You could also set this up for students to work in partners and time each other, whichever way you think the most honesty would occur.
MrsM is offline   Reply With Quote

rayita

Fluency idea
Old 01-15-2007, 08:02 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

Last summer, I was the summer school coach. Building fluency was one of the main focusses.

We gave each student a passage that they had to read. They had one minute and they were timed. Their goal was to beat the number of words read in one minute. Timing the students and taking out miscues.

Hope this helps.
rayita is offline   Reply With Quote